ADVERTISEMENT

Senate Opens Inquiry Into PGA Tour Deal with Saudi-Funded LIV Golf

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The PGA Tour and LIV Golf have not yet closed a stunning partnership agreement announced only last week, but vows from Washington to slow or stop the deal — or at least make it uncomfortable for golf executives — crystallized on Monday, when the Senate opened an inquiry into the arrangement.
Senator Richard Blumenthal, Democrat of Connecticut and the chairman of the chamber’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, said Monday that he had demanded that both the PGA Tour and the Saudi Arabian-funded LIV give up a wide array of documents and communications tied to the agreement. Blumenthal also asked for records related to the PGA Tour’s nonprofit status, suggesting an appetite to challenge the tour’s tax-exempt standing.
In a statement issued three days before the start of the U.S. Open in Los Angeles, Blumenthal decried Saudi Arabia’s “deeply disturbing human rights record at home and abroad” and said the agreement raised concerns “about the Saudi government’s role in influencing this effort and the risks posed by a foreign government entity assuming control over a cherished American institution.”
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

LIV declined to comment on Monday, and the PGA Tour did not immediately respond to an inquiry. Executives had signaled, though, that they expected their agreement to attract sustained attention from the federal government.

Secrecy, Cigars and a Venetian Wedding: How the PGA Tour Made a Deal with Saudi Arabia
The agreement to remake a global game stunned most of the sporting world after seven weeks of clandestine negotiations.
June 10, 2023

Congress cannot block the agreement simply by opening an investigation, and any legislation to derail the deal would most likely provoke a court challenge. But the specter of congressional scrutiny and, perhaps, public hearings could tarnish the deal and make the months ahead even more unpleasant for the leaders of professional golf.

Blumenthal has shown a willingness to spar with sports leaders. Lately, he has pressed American universities for information about their sports betting partnerships, and he has lashed the N.C.A.A. leadership for years over conditions for college athletes.
Although the planned deal has caused some heartburn and saber-rattling on Capitol Hill, Congress has not shown unanimous interest in haranguing golf leaders over it. Senator Ron Johnson, the Wisconsin Republican who is the ranking minority member on the panel that Blumenthal chairs, said last week that Congress should stay out of sports.
The PGA Tour’s agreement with the Saudi Public Investment Fund, whose LIV circuit made its debut last year, would bring the business dealings of the rival tours into a new company. The PGA Tour commissioner, Jay Monahan, is in line to serve as its chief executive, and Yasir al-Rumayyan, the wealth fund’s governor, will be its chairman.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Saudi wealth fund will have exclusive rights to invest in the new company, positioning it for significant influence over golf’s financial future. PGA Tour officials have insisted, to widespread doubts, that they will be the ultimate decision makers because their allies will hold a majority of the new company’s board seats.
Professional golf attracted the gaze of Washington regulators before last week’s announcement. Antitrust investigators from the Justice Department have spent months asking questions about the tour’s efforts to deter player defections to LIV and examining whether the tour’s top leaders were too close to other prominent golf organizations, like Augusta National Golf Club, the organizer of the Masters Tournament.
The department has brought no public allegations of wrongdoing and has not commented on last week’s announcement of a deal. But antitrust experts have warned that the department is virtually certain to study it closely and may even step in to try to block it.
Tour executives have expressed confidence that the agreement will withstand any legal challenges.

Article on ESPN about how the deal was brokered

THE MOST UNLIKELY union in professional golf history -- the PGA Tour's stunning partnership last week with the DP World Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund -- started with a WhatsApp message. The fact the sender was James Dunne III, a Wall Street dealmaker, makes the alliance even more improbable.

Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, with about $620 billion in assets, is financing the rival LIV Golf League, which has traded blows with the PGA Tour during a bitter two-year battle to topple each other for supremacy in the sport. As the game's best players gather this week at Los Angeles Country Club for the 123rd U.S. Open, the fractured sport seems closer than ever to reuniting.

Dunne, an independent director on the PGA Tour's policy board, was one of the founders of Sandler O'Neill and Partners, an investment banking firm that lost 40% of its employees when hijackers crashed a plane into the south tower of the World Trade Center in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. All but four of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were Saudi citizens, and the Saudi kingdom was the birthplace of Osama bin Laden, the head of al-Qaeda and mastermind of the attack.

"What I always felt is that I didn't understand what the LIV Tour was really trying to accomplish," Dunne told ESPN. "And so at some point in time, between the legal expense and them basically recruiting our players, I thought it was important that we would speak to the main guy and not to anybody else. Over time, and after we had gotten some good legal victories, I was able to convince Jay that we should go over and try to find out if there is a middle ground here. Is there something we can do so that we can put the legal battle and the whole sort of conflict behind us?"

On the morning of April 18, Dunne sent Al-Rumayyan a message on WhatsApp. Al-Rumayyan responded a few minutes later. They spoke on the telephone for a while that day and agreed to meet in person in London later that month. It was the beginning of one of the most complicated deals in Dunne's career.

Dunne raised eyebrows last week when he told the Golf Channel that he is convinced the Saudis he dealt with weren't involved in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. "I am quite certain -- and I have had conversations with a lot of very knowledgeable people -- that the people I'm dealing with had nothing to do with it," he said. "If someone can find someone who unequivocally was involved with it, I'll kill them myself."

Dunne returned to the U.S. and told Monahan he believed there was a chance they could come to some sort of compromise with the Saudis. Monahan told reporters last week that Dunne and Herlihy's early conversations with Al-Rumayyan and other PIF officials got the ball rolling in negotiations.

Are the inquirers going to 'inquire' about how they've been selling weapons and arms to the Saudis year after year after year? :rolleyes:

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I mean according to modern anti-trust law this is the only kind of merger that should be blocked. It’s two competitors that are the only participants in a space merging to form a monopoly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT