ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Omicron and booster discussion

haw-key

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2011
FIRST

I post this knowing that the usual suspects will come out and say that if I don’t fall into the conventional wisdom then I don’t deserve my medical degree so lets start out with recognizing that. But one thing is for certain, NO ONE knows everything about this pandemic as history has proven. From death numbers, to early treatment protocols(early intubation and no steroids for example) that turned out to be completely wrong. And now we are learning that some of the hopes that vaccination would provide long lasting immunity were misplaced.

So, with Omicron, today we see this article being published….

Thus far, there have been zero deaths worldwide from Omicron. In the US we have had 43 cases and 1 hospitalization. I’ll just say it now to save everyone the trouble. Wait two weeks.
Fair enough. Much is yet unknown and at risk groups almost certainly have not been penetrated yet so there is that.

BUT……if it turns out that omicron is much more contagious and much less deadly, that appears to be a win. Particularly since it could overtake Delta and become the dominant variant.

It seems that the British approach to this seems, perhaps, misguided at best and irresponsible at the worst. I know, they are trying to get ahead of things and be proactive etc…But this constant fearmongering isn’t without consequences. It erodes confidence when prior conventional wisdom is wrong and the constant level of uncertainty, even in the experts, has a deleterious effect on the populace. IMO.

Again, this discussion is hypothetical and to be sure I am not suggesting I know what omicron will bring I am simply alarmed by the public relations boondoggles of Fauci here and other global governments elsewhere. These guys look like they are flailing around hoping to stumble into a viable strategy. We are now two administrations into this thing and the prior suggestions that simply a new administration would solve the pandemic and render COVID irrelevant haven’t borne out.

NEXT

I am for vaccination. Clearly. All my prior posts are clear on this. But, for me individually, I am hesitant to get the booster. Here is my specific reason. And the second half of my post. Some of my fellow medicos are encouraged to chime in . I think these are legit questions without clear answers.

So, setting the stage for the next discussion.

I had possibly the worst side effects from my second shot one could bare, beyond having a serious complication like a CVT one a PE etc. I felt like absolute hell for 3 days. Rigors, sweats, headache, tired for days. All well worth it at the time as it is clear that this was necessary to minimize my chances of hospitalization or death. And since I am over 40 my risks of COVID are higher than some. And my exposures are frequent. In fact at the time I said I would be once of the first to get the vaccine once offered as the benefits of the 2 dose series were clear.

But what we don’t know with this yet, with boosters, is whether someone (that is already at low risk in an unvaccinated scenario) who has now had both Pfizer vaccines and has probably already had COVID early, actually needs to run the risk of 2-3 days of feeling like hell, to avoid omicron to theoretically keep from…….yes……feeling like hell for 2-3 days.

I have scoured the literature thus far, it is certain that vaccination boosters reduce the risk of hospitalization and death amongst high risk groups compared to unvaccinated and prior full vaccination without boosters. But I have seen zero evidence that a booster is necessary in low risk individuals. II don’t think enough data exists yet. If I could receive the vaccination like I do with influenza vaccines and have zero symptoms I would have already had it. But that is not likely to be the case in me. I’d be signing up almost certainly, for 2 days in bed. Like with my second shot.

So there is my dilemma. And now with the emergence of a possibly less deadly omicron I really am torn. I am a scientist. Trained to evaluate data others have gathered. Yet, I cannot find any thgat addresses the issue I have described. So I still sit on the sidelines trying to decide what makes the most sense. And today Fauci is claiming we need to be open to getting boosted every 6 months. Screw that.

Bottom line, anyone that can get the booster and have tolerable symptoms should. Anyone at high risk of death from COVID, immunosuppressed, elderly, obesity, multiple comorbidities should get the booster regardless of severity of typical side effects. Let’s make sure my position there is understood before others chime and and in their typical way, try to redirect the conversation to one that they fell they can win. This isn’t about that. It’s about asking serious questions about the best course with a couple variables being considered.

Some may ask, why am I not asking these questions of my colleagues? Well right now, dissent or doubt is not considered a sign of competence which as sad as fuq. Second, I am also interested in having an actual serious discussion on here to see if it is possible. :)

Last edited:
Comes to HROT expecting serious discussion. Also donated to grift under the guise of building a border wall.

Yep, checks out.
Why don’t you actually try to have a discussion? I thought you were a doc. I’m disappointed. And unimpressed.

Reactions: hexumhawk
No way to know right now. Don't know enough about Omicron.

The dominant strain is still Delta for the foreseeable future. So I'd worry about that first.

I wouldn't count on having had it if you don't have confirmation. I had a few different times I thought I had it before actually getting it around new years. Easy to trick yourself.

We haven't had enough time elapse to generate many meaningful studies about the boosters. May not make a difference for you. But it could. And your price to pay would be three days of feeling shitty. Whatever that means to you.

Reactions: SB_SB
My wife and kids had more reaction from the yearly flu shot than from the Pfizer vaccine and booster. I haven’t gotten my flu shot yet but had no reaction to the COVID vaccine or booster.

We’ve known a few people who have died and quite a few more who were hospitalized. I just feel better knowing I’ve reduced my chances of severe illness. I do not want to go into the hospital for anything, especially these days.
And if it turns out that I end up there anyway, at least I won’t be one of those people gasping for breath and regretting my decision not to get vaccinated.

Delta still seems like the bitch to deal with which should be enough to encourage boosters.

Regarding the seriousness of Omicron, the signs are certainly pointing that direction of a less potent sickness, which would be good obviously. The media needs to get a grip on the hysteria but that’s been a problem this whole time (see Bill Maher’s video for further explanation).

But yes with Delta still being a problem, I say booster is best. Anything to keep ER’s clear for people that actually need them.

I’m pretty much on the same boat as you OP.
I had COVID thru xmas and new year and got the one and done three months later. It kicked my ass for two days, basically like days 9 and 10 of Covid itself. 8.5 months later, I’m procrastinating a bit on the booster ( leaning towards Pfizer) even though I’m in high exposure to Covid.
Good luck getting a good conversation though, this thread will turn political in 3, 2,1…

By the way, I’m optimistic that Omicron might just lead us to herd immunity if it’s more communicable but yet mild. That’s when I vote we simply say Fvck Covid, bring it on.
Only problem is that I can’t, and my patients can’t afford for me to be out for 10 days

I’m pretty much on the same boat as you OP.
I had COVID thru xmas and new year and got the one and done three months later. It kicked my ass for two days, basically like days 9 and 10 of Covid itself. 8.5 months later, I’m procrastinating a bit on the booster ( leaning towards Pfizer) even though I’m in high exposure to Covid.
Good luck getting a good conversation though, this thread will turn political in 3, 2,1…

I think it's always good if people can speak unfiltered without worrying about what others will think. Message boards are good for this.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. No booster. Had confirmed covid. Got Moderna. But still haven't gotten the second shot. Probably will eventually here.

First Moderna shot led to two days of feeling like you had covid.

I'm in no at risk groups.

Most thinking has so called hybrid immunity as about as good as it gets.

Given that I should still have active antibody activity, will probably hold off a bit longer.

Good input so far from most replies. Nice to see.

I suspect Ill be getting the booster soon. But just so much uncertainty in the face of what I see as a near certainty. Feeling like I can’t get out of bed for 2 days.

Reactions: goldmom
My understanding with Britain’s reaction to Omicron and why they are trying so hard to get out ahead of it, given how contagious we know it to be, is that their population is older than South Africa’s. So while we have no reason to thing it’s more deadly yet, they don’t want to find out. Unless things have changed for the better from when I had to spend time in one of their national health service hospitals 30 years ago while in school over there, you don’t want to end up there because resources are tight.

I had much the same reaction as you to both my second dose and even worse for the booster. It’s been I think 11 or 12 days and I still cannot lift my arm up and I spent 3 days in bed under every blanket we have. All I can recommend is that if you’re going to get the booster and know that you’re going to have a bad reaction, try to get the booster on a Friday so you don’t have to burn vacation days. From what I understand, we don’t know the extent to which a previous infection coupled with vaccines combine to prevent reinfection.

The Pizer shots made me miserable for a couple days. Same with the booster last week. But no pain no gain :). Honestly I see it no differently than exercising, diet, not smoking etc. Only now the consequences can be more immediate.

My understanding with Britain’s reaction to Omicron and why they are trying so hard to get out ahead of it, given how contagious we know it to be, is that their population is older than South Africa’s. So while we have no reason to thing it’s more deadly yet, they don’t want to find out. Unless things have changed for the better from when I had to spend time in one of their national health service hospitals 30 years ago while in school over there, you don’t want to end up there because resources are tight.

I had much the same reaction as you to both my second dose and even worse for the booster. It’s been I think 11 or 12 days and I still cannot lift my arm up and I spent 3 days in bed under every blanket we have. All I can recommend is that if you’re going to get the booster and know that you’re going to have a bad reaction, try to get the booster on a Friday so you don’t have to burn vacation days. From what I understand, we don’t know the extent to which a previous infection coupled with vaccines combine to prevent reinfection.
I think the best possible protection comes from a combination of vaccine immunity and immunity acquired via infection. As long as you survive it :)

Reactions: hawkosx
I've been installing my new office computer. I'm blessed with 4K on it. I know covid vaccination has unfortunately become political.

But, as I was working on things, I listened to this. Lets name this pandemic Cortez

I'm a senior citizen, have good health, and I'm fully vaxxed (Pfizer).
I had mild effects after my second shot. No booster yet.

I was exposed three weeks ago to a breakthrough Delta infection and when I lost my sense of smell and developed a bad cough and headache, I took a test with "inconclusive" results. I was advised to (and got) a Regeneron treatment, which absolutely worked within 48 hours.

Getting it means I have to wait 90 days before I can get a booster. I'm hoping I don't get Omicron, but if I do I hope it won't be more serious than a bad cold. In the meantime I'm taking the usual array of vitamins and not taking lots of exposure risks.

I was exposed three weeks ago to a breakthrough Delta infection and when I lost my sense of smell and developed a bad cough and headache, I took a test with "inconclusive" results. I was advised to (and got) a Regeneron treatment, which absolutely worked within 48 hours.

Getting it means I have to wait 90 days before I can get a booster. I'm hoping I don't get Omicron, but if I do I hope it won't be more serious than a bad cold. In the meantime I'm taking the usual array of vitamins and not taking lots of exposure risks.
I hear vitamin D as in delta.

Where is this "hysteria" people are talking about? The UK is wisely being cautious given their demographics and spectrum of the knowledge curve we're at with Omicron. That only makes sense. Hopefully the early indications of it being less harmful hold true. But Delta is still around and is the strain causing the deaths we're seeing in non-vaccinated and non-boosted people. What does this tell us - get the booster when you can.

I think this should be obvious to most and particularly a medical professional.

You're a hot senior citizen. See, I corrected it.

I love hrot science threads. It's frightening that such people see patients.

Reactions: noleclone2
FIRST

I post this knowing that the usual suspects will come out and say that if I don’t fall into the conventional wisdom then I don’t deserve my medical degree so lets start out with recognizing that. But one thing is for certain, NO ONE knows everything about this pandemic as history has proven. From death numbers, to early treatment protocols(early intubation and no steroids for example) that turned out to be completely wrong. And now we are learning that some of the hopes that vaccination would provide long lasting immunity were misplaced.

So, with Omicron, today we see this article being published….

Thus far, there have been zero deaths worldwide from Omicron. In the US we have had 43 cases and 1 hospitalization. I’ll just say it now to save everyone the trouble. Wait two weeks.
Fair enough. Much is yet unknown and at risk groups almost certainly have not been penetrated yet so there is that.

BUT……if it turns out that omicron is much more contagious and much less deadly, that appears to be a win. Particularly since it could overtake Delta and become the dominant variant.

It seems that the British approach to this seems, perhaps, misguided at best and irresponsible at the worst. I know, they are trying to get ahead of things and be proactive etc…But this constant fearmongering isn’t without consequences. It erodes confidence when prior conventional wisdom is wrong and the constant level of uncertainty, even in the experts, has a deleterious effect on the populace. IMO.

Again, this discussion is hypothetical and to be sure I am not suggesting I know what omicron will bring I am simply alarmed by the public relations boondoggles of Fauci here and other global governments elsewhere. These guys look like they are flailing around hoping to stumble into a viable strategy. We are now two administrations into this thing and the prior suggestions that simply a new administration would solve the pandemic and render COVID irrelevant haven’t borne out.

NEXT

I am for vaccination. Clearly. All my prior posts are clear on this. But, for me individually, I am hesitant to get the booster. Here is my specific reason. And the second half of my post. Some of my fellow medicos are encouraged to chime in . I think these are legit questions without clear answers.

So, setting the stage for the next discussion.

I had possibly the worst side effects from my second shot one could bare, beyond having a serious complication like a CVT one a PE etc. I felt like absolute hell for 3 days. Rigors, sweats, headache, tired for days. All well worth it at the time as it is clear that this was necessary to minimize my chances of hospitalization or death. And since I am over 40 my risks of COVID are higher than some. And my exposures are frequent. In fact at the time I said I would be once of the first to get the vaccine once offered as the benefits of the 2 dose series were clear.

But what we don’t know with this yet, with boosters, is whether someone (that is already at low risk in an unvaccinated scenario) who has now had both Pfizer vaccines and has probably already had COVID early, actually needs to run the risk of 2-3 days of feeling like hell, to avoid omicron to theoretically keep from…….yes……feeling like hell for 2-3 days.

I have scoured the literature thus far, it is certain that vaccination boosters reduce the risk of hospitalization and death amongst high risk groups compared to unvaccinated and prior full vaccination without boosters. But I have seen zero evidence that a booster is necessary in low risk individuals. II don’t think enough data exists yet. If I could receive the vaccination like I do with influenza vaccines and have zero symptoms I would have already had it. But that is not likely to be the case in me. I’d be signing up almost certainly, for 2 days in bed. Like with my second shot.

So there is my dilemma. And now with the emergence of a possibly less deadly omicron I really am torn. I am a scientist. Trained to evaluate data others have gathered. Yet, I cannot find any thgat addresses the issue I have described. So I still sit on the sidelines trying to decide what makes the most sense. And today Fauci is claiming we need to be open to getting boosted every 6 months. Screw that.

Bottom line, anyone that can get the booster and have tolerable symptoms should. Anyone at high risk of death from COVID, immunosuppressed, elderly, obesity, multiple comorbidities should get the booster regardless of severity of typical side effects. Let’s make sure my position there is understood before others chime and and in their typical way, try to redirect the conversation to one that they fell they can win. This isn’t about that. It’s about asking serious questions about the best course with a couple variables being considered.

Some may ask, why am I not asking these questions of my colleagues? Well right now, dissent or doubt is not considered a sign of competence which as sad as fuq. Second, I am also interested in having an actual serious discussion on here to see if it is possible. :)
I like this analogy (https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1470120180873408514.html) realizing full well it’ll be too conspiratorialish for most on here. :cool:

I appreciate your voice of reason and non-judgmental restraint on this subject, and believe there are many that feel your apprehension but don’t post for fear of being mocked.

Reactions: haw-key
I like this analogy (https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1470120180873408514.html) realizing full well it’ll be too conspiratorialish for most on here. :cool:

I appreciate your voice of reason and non-judgmental restraint on this subject, and believe there are many that feel your apprehension but don’t post for fear of being mocked.
Did you miss his opening damn paragraph? Dude’s so full of judgment he invents the positions of others just so he can self-affirmingly judge them.

JFC you’re weird but usually somewhat astute on some shit.

OP is hardly as you describe.

$5. lol

FIRST

I post this knowing that the usual suspects will come out and say that if I don’t fall into the conventional wisdom then I don’t deserve my medical degree
Just so we're clear...NO ONE believes that you have a "medical degree."

(Unless you're claiming that a CNA certificate is a "medical degree?" If so, then maybe you have one.)

Got the booster two weeks ago because I am a man, not a mouse. Just had a sore arm. It was a no brainer after watching Delta ravage Florida July through September.

Feel good about the decision based on some of the numbers shared on the Michigan post where breakthrough hospitalizations and deaths were creeping up largely due to 2.5 million folks there not getting the booster.

It’s still sad to look at so many rural counties throughout the US and seeing sub 50 percent vaccination rates.

Anyone out there Delta is no joke and just assume the new variant will be bad too. And it’s not they are more deadly. They simply are more virulent. Meaning you are going to get it and it will spread. You may think you are safe, but why take the risk. It’s killing plenty of 30-50 somethings that are not all that unhealthy. It’s. Not. The. Flu.

I got my booster shot last Thursday. Sore arm for 2 days and a little sluggish on Friday. Piece of cake.
I got my Moderna booster and the flu shot at the same time, a little before Thanksgiving. No side effects from either. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to get malaria, whooping cough and dengue fever shots later today, just for fun... b/c I'm that much of a badass.

I got my Moderna booster and the flu shot at the same time, a little before Thanksgiving. No side effects from either. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to get malaria, whooping cough and dengue fever shots later today, just for fun... b/c I'm that much of a badass.
You still pale in comparison to the idiot in New Zealand who got 10 covid shots in one day ;)

Did you miss his opening damn paragraph? Dude’s so full of judgment he invents the positions of others just so he can self-affirmingly judge them.

JFC you’re weird but usually somewhat astute on some shit.

OP is hardly as you describe.

$5. lol
“...you’re weird but usually somewhat astute on some shit.”

I’ll take that as a compliment. Thanks!

OP is full of judgement? Isn’t that what hrot’s all about? Seems like a lot of posters get judged on here if they don’t profess a Two-Minutes-of-Hate type attitude towards Trump 24/7/365.

I don’t know what the $5 reference was towards but assuming it has something to do with him?

Reactions: hawkosx
I got my booster on Friday. Worked the rest of the afternoon. Sore arm and mild body aches on Saturday, then back to normal.

In general, I simply haven't been given any information of note to convince me to discount the recommendations of the CDC and the medical apparatus overseeing the Covid response.

Reactions: win4jj and goldmom
You still pale in comparison to the idiot in New Zealand who got 10 covid shots in one day ;)
Don’t knock it - that’s just the free market at work.

You find a homeless encampment, give one of them your phone and fifty bucks. They go get a shot, bring your phone back and collect the other fifty.

Reactions: GOHOX69
“...you’re weird but usually somewhat astute on some shit.”

I’ll take that as a compliment. Thanks!

OP is full of judgement? Isn’t that what hrot’s all about? Seems like a lot of posters get judged on here if they don’t profess a Two-Minutes-of-Hate type attitude towards Trump 24/7/365.

I don’t know what the $5 reference was towards but assuming it has something to do with him?
Lol. You got some of that victim-y shit, too, apparently.

Dude is a coward doofus.

I am Team Moderna. Got both my flu shot and booster last Friday. Had a bit of a sore shoulder but that was the extent of the reaction. I imagine I'll continue to get the booster annually if it becomes recommended.
My wife is kind of in the same boat as the OP though her reaction wasn't as bad. What will end up changing her mind is if the definition of "fully vaccinated" changes to include the booster and she potentially faces travel restrictions.

Team Pfiderna...two Pfizers w/ Moderna booster. No reaction at all beyond a sore arm for a couple of days after the first jab. Getting my second shingles vaxx during the holiday and I've been told that's a bitch.

Reactions: win4jj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT