ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question Here

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Lets say we have a 16 team playoff. Would you be more excited to go down to Baton Rouge this weekend for the 1-16 match up with LSU or going to San Diego for a bowl game with #22 USC?

I know my answer but curious as to how people feel about this.

Lets say we have a 16 team playoff. Would you be more excited to go down to Baton Rouge this weekend for the 1-16 match up with LSU or going to San Diego for a bowl game with #22 USC?

I would take the playoff 100% of the time. Even as the 16 seed. Just being a part of the playoffs and having that chance (regardless of how small) would be way better then just a 2nd tiger bowl.

A chance, albeit small, to win a national championship vs playing in a mostly meaningless bowl? The choice seems pretty obvious.

I agree totally which makes it more perplexing as to why nobody seems to want to change it. The bowl games are fine and nice and all but in 6-7 years nobody will really remember it. EVERY Iowa fan would remember going to #1 LSU to play for a championship.

a playoff need not include 16 teams when 8 would do just fine
I understand why people want 8 team playoffs, but I really think it's unnecessary. There are not 8 teams that could realistically compete for the championship. I think Cinderella's aren't as likely in football as they are in basketball.

Georgia and Wisconsin would have both qualified for an 8 team playoff. Georgia got absolutely pumped by LSU. Wisconsin held tight with OSU, but got outscored 27-0 in the second half (not to mention losing 38-7 in the first go around). Wisky would have had no shot against the 1 seed LSU.

Idk, if Iowa were in contention I would always want to give them a punchers chance in a playoff. But as an outside observer, 4 is just fine.

Reactions: ChuckBarkley

Hawks would not come out of LSU with victory. We all kinda know this.

Guys (and gals), we live in a BASTARDIZED world, in all sports and in real life.

I find it abhorrent that a team that does not belong there could win the whole thing. (kind of like a 83-79 team winning the World Series).

Keep it at Four, please.

A #16 seed would never, ever in a million years beat a #1 seed in football or basketball. It will just never happen. So why even bother with it. Keep it in a system where only brands matter and only a few select teams realistically have a shot at the playoff each year.

/checks notes

Oh damn...

Absolutely take the #16 seed. The only reason bowls are a thing are because of money. The other divisions get to name their champion in a totally logical way.

I also selfishly want to see what a southern team playing at Ohio State or Wisconsin in December would look like.

But I’m not naive enough to believe 16 will happen. 8 will though.

I understand why people want 8 team playoffs, but I really think it's unnecessary. There are not 8 teams that could realistically compete for the championship. I think Cinderella's aren't as likely in football as they are in basketball.

Georgia and Wisconsin would have both qualified for an 8 team playoff. Georgia got absolutely pumped by LSU. Wisconsin held tight with OSU, but got outscored 27-0 in the second half (not to mention losing 38-7 in the first go around). Wisky would have had no shot against the 1 seed LSU.

Idk, if Iowa were in contention I would always want to give them a punchers chance in a playoff. But as an outside observer, 4 is just fine.

Our purple and gold underlings an hour north would disagree. They weren't in the top 8 seeds and yet they are playing in the quarterfinals this week.

The tough part is the impact if injuries. Probably need to consider roster sizes, or loosen redshirt rules even more. Would this make the rich even richer? Possibly.
I think 8 is the sweet spot- 5 conf champs, 3 at large...w/intense scrutiny to any nonP5 possibility. If they want i don’t see that as something that would work

Reactions: owenhawk
I’d find a way to go see the Hawks play in Baton Rouge as a 16 seed because it’s on the list of things to do in Death Valley. What an experience it would be to play them at their place as Tiger Bait. It would be fun.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6

And everybody knew the Washington Nationals would NOT win the 2019 World Series. And that NC State would NOT win that NCAA national basketball title with Jim Valvano. And EVERYONE KNEW 2017 Iowa football would be totally demolished by #3 and CFP-bound Ohio State. [A final score from Iowa City: Hawkeyes - 55 / Ohio State - 24]

FCS football has a 20-team playoff that includes every single FCS conference champion and others chosen at large.

FBS should have an 8 or 12-team playoff. With 12 the top 4 get byes. With 8 or 12, the first round would be played on campus. After that, it would proceed basically as it does now.

Any so-called "national championship playoff" that excludes one or two major conferences and a major portion of the country is a farce. Any playoff in which you may be eliminated by losing a single regular-season game is a joke. Until this thing goes to at least 8 teams with all five major conference champions automatic qualifiers, it will continue to be a stain on college football, IMHO.

The tough part is the impact if injuries. Probably need to consider roster sizes, or loosen redshirt rules even more. Would this make the rich even richer? Possibly.
I think 8 is the sweet spot- 5 conf champs, 3 at large...w/intense scrutiny to any nonP5 possibility. If they want i don’t see that as something that would work

I agree with this. I really don't want to see 16 (even though I would be thrilled any year Iowa would make it in the 9 - 16 seed BUT I feel like 8 is the best option. It isn't too watered down at that point and you could get all of the conference champions in and a few non-conference champions that are potentially deserving and I think you look at allowing one spot for a non-P5 team for that Cinderella feel.

This board would be in full meltdown right now. If they went to 16 teams, im sure they would have at least one guaranteed spot for no p5 teams. Memphis would likely be heading to Baton Rouge.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ginia-make-ncaa-tournament-history/434445002/

Even though I believe 16 seeds are 1-135 against 1 seeds, it at least gives them a chance to compete for something meaningful. Also remember that the #1 seed in the CFP has never won the championship.

I am all for expanding the playoff to 8-16 teams. Must have highest seed hosting at least the first round!

And let’s keep in mind there’s a huge difference in talent between a 1 and 16 seed in basketball comparable to a 1 and 16 seed in our hypothetical 16 team football playoff. In reality, it’s really a 1 vs 4 seed in a 16 team football playoff.

Some years yes, some years no. This year there’s only 3 worthy teams.

And let’s keep in mind there’s a huge difference in talent between a 1 and 16 seed in basketball comparable to a 1 and 16 seed in our hypothetical 16 team football playoff. In reality, it’s really a 1 vs 4 seed in a 16 team football playoff.

Agreed.

You also throw in the fact that all of the conferences play by different rules so to speak. Some allow FBS games, some have 9 conference games, some teams schedule real out of conference games. With that many variables, increasing the sample size of the teams should be a forgone conclusion.

Every time of year at this point you have a couple of teams that maybe had an early stumble or injury and they lost a couple games but are now on fire and could very well beat anyone as they say. Reminding me a little of 2008 Iowa team that had a QB change and became REAL nasty at the end of that year. Would really like to see some of those teams at least get a chance in a tournament setting.

That's the problem.........can't have both.

Btw, OP....not 100% guaranteed that Iowa would be a 16 seed in such a playoff. Depends on the structure, though it most likely wouldn't just take the top 16 teams in the rankings and seed them accordingly.

Making a 16 team tourney would be slightly better than getting into the bball tourney.........

Guys (and gals), we live in a BASTARDIZED world, in all sports and in real life.

I find it abhorrent that a team that does not belong there could win the whole thing. (kind of like a 83-79 team winning the World Series).

Keep it at Four, please.
it is a possibility for the cowboys to make the playoffs with a 7-9 record :)

It’s so strange seeing Iowa fans advocate for the status quo which, for the most part, favors the power programs.
Exactly. So don't ever bitch because Iowa isn't playing in THE game. If your going to let some committee pick who gets to play, AND eliminate at least one if not two Power 5 champions every year, then we will continue to see the same 3 or 4 teams take the lions share of the bids. This does not favor Iowa being in the playoff under the current scenario.

I haven't seen anything logically that would say it's any more likely in basketball than it is in football for upsets to occur. The reason the NCAA basketball. tournament is great and people like it is that every team (outside of the First Four) has to win the same amount of games, on a neutral floor (I get that the #1 seeds get to play close to home). By that logic, only the 1 and 2 seeds should make the NCAA tournament in basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT