ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, gun nuts are a complete scourge on society

So someone is at their door and their response is to go guns ablazin'? Wow. The scary thing is there are lots of people out there who can't wait to use their guns and instead of evaluting a situation, they grab the gun and shoot at first glance.

Put these two in prison for a LONG time.

My work VPN bypasses a lot of these paywalls. Weird.

On Saturday morning at 7 a.m., a neighbor stopped by Gino and Rocky Colonacosta’s front door to drop off prescription medication that had mistakenly been delivered to his address. As the neighbor put the package down in front of the Colonacostas’ Florida apartment, he was recorded by the father and son’s Ring doorbell camera. Alerts popped up on their phones.

Gino, 73, and Rocky, 15, then picked up .45-caliber handguns, went outside searching for an intruder and shot at a woman who was sitting in her car nearby, according to authorities in Polk County, Fla. The woman drove away as the pair fired seven bullets at her car, one of which went through an empty car seat and lodged in the driver’s seat, authorities said.

“Our victim was that close to death, and certainly, had there been a baby in the car seat, the baby would’ve been killed,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said in a live-streamed news conference Tuesday.

The Colonacostas, of Winter Haven, were each charged with attempted murder, assault and other counts, including offenses relating to the 15-year-old’s underage possession of a firearm. The state’s attorney has not decided whether to pursue prosecution of the teenager as an adult, Judd told The Post in a Wednesday interview. The father and son were being held in the county jail as of Wednesday and did not have a lawyer, according to court documents. The father and son were being held in the county jail as of Wednesday and did not have a lawyer, according to court
documents.

Gino Colonacosta, 73, of Winter Haven, Fla., was arrested Saturday on attempted murder and other charges after he and his son allegedly fired shots at a woman sitting in her car at their apartment complex. The Post is not using the mug shot of Rocky Colonacosta, 15, because he is a minor. (Polk County Sheriff's Office)

That the pair apparently became so alarmed by “a good Samaritan” dropping off a package that they loaded guns and ran out of their home looking for someone to attack was “crazy,” Judd said.

“Anybody that walks up to their front door — a friend, a relative, a neighbor doing a neighborly deed … gets shot at? What are they thinking?” The incident may provide an extreme example of the type of neighborhood vigilantism sometimes cited by critics of doorbell cameras, the benefits and pitfalls of which have been debated over the past several years. Critics have raised alarm over the data the doorbells collect and the potential surveillance network they create, particularly as Ring, which is owned by Amazon, has shared footage with police departments. The technology has also raised concerns among people of color about its potential to exacerbate racial profiling.

Most homeowners install doorbell cameras for the added security and to deter would-be intruders. The cameras record anyone who walks up to your door, deliver real-time alerts to your phone, and allow you to interact with people as if you were home.

Judd said doorbell cameras normally help prevent issues like package theft and can provide evidence for police investigations. “We’ve seen the Ring camera be a huge help in deterring criminal activity,” he told The Post. “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

After receiving the Ring alerts Saturday morning, Rocky Colonacosta went outside to investigate but didn’t find anybody, Judd said. When he came back in, he got his father, and they each loaded a handgun and went outside the “very nice” apartment complex, Judd said. They allegedly walked around the apartment complex looking for a burglar until they spotted a woman sitting in her car with her engine running. She had just gotten home and was checking her emails on her cellphone, Judd said.

Gino Colonacosta pulled out his gun and ordered the woman to get out of her car, leading her to believe she was being carjacked, according to Judd. She reversed, backing into another car in her panic.

Rocky, hearing the car crash and his father shouting, ran up. As the woman put her car in drive, both began shooting at her, firing the seven rounds toward her car, authorities allege. She heard the bullets hitting her car as she drove away, according to the criminal affidavit.

The woman, who was not identified by authorities, reported the incident to police. “You don’t shoot at people,” Judd said. “You don’t leave the security of your home and go out and chase people down.”

So someone is at their door and their response is to go guns ablazin'? Wow. The scary thing is there are lots of people out there who can't wait to use their guns and instead of evaluting a situation, they grab the gun and shoot at first glance.

I've had people pull into my driveway in the middle of the night, strangers ring my doorbell, hell even sit on my front lawn and never felt the need to grab my pistol. The only time its been drawn is at my last house when two men actually kicked in my front door at 1am. I was pretty certain they weren't bringing me my mail. :cool:

And those types of morons should have their guns confiscated and put in a database to prevent future sales/ownership.
Wonder if there is a research group that could find out if there were previous signs that could have kept guns from these individuals. You’d think he doesn’t just become dumb at 73 years of age. Maybe they weren’t supposed to have them in the first place?

I've had people pull into my driveway in the middle of the night, strangers ring my doorbell, hell even sit on my front lawn and never felt the need to grab my pistol. The only time its been drawn is at my last house when two men actually kicked in my front door at 1am. I was pretty certain they weren't bringing me my mail. :cool:

As we've discussed this is the problem with gun culture. Too many people just can't wait to kill someone in "self defense"

How did the rest of this story play out?
I've mentioned it before. See links bellow. (and some of it's assumption/speculation).

Someone rang the doorbell around 1am. It woke me up then I heard the loud bang (or whatever you want to call the sound of a front door being kicked in). I grabbed my 9mm from nightstand drawer and told wife to stay put and call 911. I checked in on my daughter's bedroom then ran downstairs. I honestly don't remember if I said anything but I recall racking the slide which may have startled whoever it was (or they just heard me upstairs).

I ran to the front door and stood in the doorway looking around when I saw a black truck I didn't recognize. I took a few steps forward looking up and down my street. About that time two men quickly sat up in the truck, turned on their lights and sped away. I chased for a few houses (gun at my side, not pointed) just trying to get the plate number. No shots fired. We moved the next year.

Last edited:
And I just can't wrap my mind around that. I have ZERO desire to ever shoot much less kill someone. I have too many brothers and sisters in arms suffering from PTSD over taking a life. No thanks.

Too many people are either lack empathy or have no experience with people like that and lack the wisdom to recognize that killing someone isn't going to be just like it is in their favorite action movie.

I don't think gun nits themselves cause much trouble. It's their effect on common sense gun law that's a problem.
I guess it's how you define "gun nut". One of my closest friends collects guns...anything from old WW2 guns to current semi-automatics. He's got quite the collection. He's a Texas A&M grad and former Corpus Christi Police Officer. He supports stricter gun legislation and agrees open carry laws need to be recalled. Point? Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm still pretty certain there's more gang-related gun violence than anything else and most of those guns are acquired illegally.

Someone’s at the door! Possibly a Girl Scout but maybe a burglar.
Gino and Rocky:

SelfishSilverAlpaca-max-1mb.gif

Some of you might have missed the memo...Blame everything on mental illness.
Or just not discount it completely and also factor in mental health.

As stated in the other thread, I'll keep promulgating this link in everyone of these threads.

Well, the 15 year old likely isn't (yet), but w/o some sort of intervention prior to turning 18 he shouldn't ever be allowed to purchase/own.
I wasn’t considering the age.
I know that the 17 year old involved in the DC sniper killing spree was up for parole last August.
Don’t know how the law will treat the 15 year old in this case with respect to things being sealed or penalties carried into adulthood.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I guess it's how you define "gun nut". One of my closest friends collects guns...anything from old WW2 guns to current semi-automatics. He's got quite the collection. He's a Texas A&M grad and former Corpus Christi Police Officer. He supports stricter gun legislation and agrees open carry laws need to be recalled. Point? Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm still pretty certain there's more gang-related gun violence than anything else and most of those guns are acquired illegally.
From talking to a couple police chiefs I know, a very large number of the guns used by idiot teen and young adult gangbangers are stolen from "responsible" gun owners who keep them in unlocked cars, garages, etc.

So in a way, the general "gun culture" of America really does contribute to that problem as well.

I own a gun. I am a believer in the 2nd Amendment. But I think the gun culture in America is a deep, ingrained sickness and frankly, one of our country's greatest flaws.

From talking to a couple police chiefs I know, a very large number of the guns used by idiot teen and young adult gangbangers are stolen from "responsible" gun owners who keep them in unlocked cars, garages, etc.

So in a way, the general "gun culture" of America really does contribute to that problem as well.

I own a gun. I am a believer in the 2nd Amendment. But I think the gun culture in America is a deep, ingrained sickness and frankly, one of our country's greatest flaws.
I think accountability for those who don't secure weapons is must. Gun under a seat? Nope. Gun locked in a secure safe under the seat? Yup. I have one. There are also biometric lock release mechanisms too.

Heck, if the govt wanted to get serious about it, they could offer tax rebates, etc. for people who provide proof of purchase for weapon security devices.

I think accountability for those who don't secure weapons is must. Gun under a seat? Nope. Gun locked in a secure safe under the seat? Yup. I have one. There are also biometric lock release mechanisms too.

Heck, if the govt wanted to get serious about it, they could offer tax rebates, etc. for people who provide proof of purchase for weapon security devices.
The problem is in my experience, responsible gun owners like you and myself really seem to be a small minority of people who have (note, I don't say "own" as many who have firearms have obtained them illegally) guns.

I think Hoosier is onto something when he notes that far too many Americans seem to be itching to use their guns. It's pretty scary.

The problem is in my experience, responsible gun owners like you and myself really seem to be a small minority of people who have (note, I don't say "own" as many who have firearms have obtained them illegally) guns.

I think Hoosier is onto something when he notes that far too many Americans seem to be itching to use their guns. It's pretty scary.
People are angry. We see it all day long. Cut someone off in traffic, they flip you off and try to chase you down. Rage is everywhere and armed people have better means of misdirecting that rage.

...huge swaths of American society [is] consumed by hopelessness, rage, and fear reflected in our politics, tribalism, social media, and even language. Many of us seem incapable of containing our furies, even as we are unsure what we are raging against—or for. Violence begets violence; all have become desensitized to the sound and fury of riots from Washington to Waukesha. In the swirl of confusion, nothing has meaning. Meaning is elusive. Nihilism—the rejection of the possibility of meaning—is the water in which we swim and the darkness that has enveloped our way of life in ways we haven’t even begun to comprehend...

We all know too many people who pack heat and have said out loud that they wish someone would try to break in their house or pick a fight with them or some stupid thing. You're lying if you say you've never heard a gun owner say something along these lines. You don't buy a gun if you don't want to use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT