ADVERTISEMENT

Serving question about hush puppies.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
What do you pair them with? Is there a dip or something? I bought some frozen ones at my local Hy-Vee today, and nothing is listed on the box past how long to microwave them for. Does it matter if they are a luncheon or dinner appetizer what you serve them with? Are they acceptable for breakfast? Not sure if this is required information, but they do have jalapeños in them. Is this a faux pas on my part?
@FSUTribe76
@goldmom
@The Tradition
TIA

I like hush puppies with seafood and BBQ.

If there aren't any directions on the box I'd just toss them in the fryer until they look right. Maybe do a test one first.

What do you pair them with? Is there a dip or something? I bought some frozen ones at my local Hy-Vee today, and nothing is listed on the box past how long to microwave them for. Does it matter if they are a luncheon or dinner appetizer what you serve them with? Are they acceptable for breakfast? Not sure if this is required information, but they do have jalapeños in them. Is this a faux pas on my part?
TIA
Coming from a Floridian, so I don't know how they are served elsewhere, but they're usually served with fried seafood and a side of coleslaw. I don't dip them into anything, maybe some tartar sauce.

348s.jpg

You can use about anything you like.

Ketchup
Mustard
Honey
Honey Mustard
BBQ sauce
Maple Syrup

Last time I had them at the VFW with fish the sauce was a butter/honey concoction.

As for food to pair them with, most often they are served with BBQ or seafood/fish.

@FSUTribe76
@goldmom
@The Tradition
TIA
Assuming they're made properly they don't need to be paired with anything as they're delicious. But yes, they generally are paired with seafood as they're an easy side to fry up while you're frying a "mess of fish".

I cannot imagine them coming out worth a damn from the microwave. Either fry them or bake them (or use an air fryer if you have one).
As others have said, they are typically served as a side dish with fried fish/seafood.
Yeah, a big hell to the naw on waving hush puppies. What makes them so good is the crispy, crunchy texture outside and soft, warm insides. Air fry or deep fry.

Melted butter and/or cayenne pepper sauce (Louisiana). Great with East Carolina BBQ sauce but you're not likely to be making EC BBQ anytime soon.

Sorry, I thought this thread was about Hush Puppies,
a casual shoe for men that became popular in the 1960's.
It was produced by the Wolverine Shoe Company in the
state of Michigan and was at an affordable price.
Not bad if deep fried and served with tartar sauce.

817cjt3uDtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wifey uses her cornbread recipe for hush puppies. The only difference is frying them (spoon fulls dropped into a hot pan of oil) rather than baking the corn bread.
We often add corn kernels and/or peppers.
As mentioned, traditional fare with seafood, but also solid with soups and chilI.
I usually drop some into my bowl of chili/soup to get soft and spoonable.
Frozen and microwave are terms that do not belong in the conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
@FSUTribe76
@goldmom
@The Tradition
TIA
You can google it as well as Tribe76.

Most people along the Gulf Coast eat hush puppies with seafood, and many dip in a homemade cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish).

Wifey uses her cornbread recipe for hush puppies. The only difference is frying them (spoon fulls dropped into a hot pan of oil) rather than baking the corn bread.
We often add corn kernels and/or peppers.
As mentioned, traditional fare with seafood, but also solid with soups and chilI.
I usually drop some into my bowl of chili/soup to get soft and spoonable.
Frozen and microwave are terms that do not belong in the conversation.
Does she add minced onion to the batter? I think that really sets it off.

Reactions: billanole
Hush puppies are bullshit. Always disappointing. I bet you losers like long john silvers lol.
Aww now.
You may be an unbeliever, but to bring Long Johns into the convo is heresy.
It is a shame that you have never had good hush puppies.

Aww now.
You may be an unbeliever, but to bring Long Johns into the convo is heresy.
It is a shame that you have never had good hush puppies.
I’ve had all kinds of hush puppies brosef. I live in hush puppies central(florida). It’s bread batter deep fat fried. There’s no taste to them. Just filler.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT