ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon Sharpe would cut scrub QB for calling his own play.

I have no problem with trying to get a guy at TD that's loved by his teammates. However, line up in a real set, don't try to fool the other team with the victory formation.
They had to line up in V formation. If they came out in something different to run a straight goal line play their own sidelines would have called TO and pulled Winston off the field. They had to line up in V formation to fool their own coaching staff so they could run the play.

Like the end of Rudy!

2a5d77e3-1dd1-4ee9-8780-e4a5575bb590_text.gif

Jameis probably shouldn't have changed the call but in doing so he has 100% support and respect from his teammates. He changed the call, and everyone in the huddle approved of it and went along with it, in order to get RB Jamaal Willims his first TD of the season. I kind of get it.

Jameis probably shouldn't have changed the call but in doing so he has 100% support and respect from his teammates. He changed the call, and everyone in the huddle approved of it and went along with it, in order to get RB Jamaal Willims his first TD of the season. I kind of get it.
Then line up in a normal formation and run a play. By going into victory formation you cause the defense to relax. The ball is snapped and they all just stand up, thinking the offense is going to do the same thing. Instead, seven 300-lb dudes fire off the ball at them when they weren’t expecting it.

Someone could very easily get injured that way. It’s bush league.

He had 106 carries on the year with a 2.3 yrd average. Maybe be better and get a TD. That TD was the most bitch way ever to get one, so not surprising JW concocted it up.

Then line up in a normal formation and run a play. By going into victory formation you cause the defense to relax. The ball is snapped and they all just stand up, thinking the offense is going to do the same thing. Instead, seven 300-lb dudes fire off the ball at them when they weren’t expecting it.

I heard the defense asked if they were taking a knee and they didn’t reply. Had they gone into a standard formation the coach likely would have called a TO.

My issue with it is that next time they line up to take the knee the defense is going to want to fire across and kill the QB. Then they will be upset because they think the defense should have let up because they were clearly taking a knee.

It should be an unwritten rule that the offense doesn't attempt a play out of victory formation and the defense doesn't try to kill the QB out of victory formation.

Reactions: MossHawk6
I hope for the rest of his career he gets smoked every time he lines up the victory formation.

Feelings were hurt, you monster!

It's not about feelings but no one wants a season ending injury on a QB kneel down. But that is what is going to happen if offenses start using victory formation to trick the defense and run a play.

Any other trick play I am ok with, but doing one by making the defense think you are just killing the clock is one that is going to get someone hurt in the future.

Also for the record if you want to run up the score at the NFL level that doesn't bother me. They are paid professionals. Just don't try to trick them by making them think you are icing the game. If you want to run up the score do it out of a normal formation.

Running up the score in a kids game or in the college game when it's between a big time power 5 program and some low level FCS school is low class.

Last edited:

This.

If he is ever in a position to kneel a game out again, he just got his future OL lit up.

My issue with it is that next time they line up to take the knee the defense is going to want to fire across and kill the QB. Then they will be upset because they think the defense should have let up because they were clearly taking a knee.

It should be an unwritten rule that the offense doesn't attempt a play out of victory formation and the defense doesn't try to kill the QB out of victory formation.
They should eliminate the victory formation snap. Just tell them they aren't running a play, and have the clock run off. Like in baseball, the pitcher doesn't throw the stupid 4 pitches when they want to intentionally walk someone anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT