ADVERTISEMENT

Sharp Shootout and thoughts on Jack McCaffery, Pryce Sandfort, Cooper Koch and others

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Spent the day at the Sharp Shootout watching a few Iowa hoops prospects.

I'll start with Jack McCaffery since he has been talked about quite a bit here. He's starting for the IC West varsity heading into his freshman year. He's going to be a good one. Still feeling his way a bit on both ends of the floor, but terrific feel for the game and shooting touch. He's a legit 6-8 as a kid heading into his freshman year. Really nice three point shooter.

Speaking of the IC West team, boy are they loaded with players tied to Iowa. Savion Taylor is on the team. He is the son of Iowa assistant coach Billy Taylor. Val Barnes has two son's on the team and Christian is the starting point guard. He does a nice job. Not a high D1 player, but a solid player. Kareem Earl, who is the son of Acie Earl, is headed into his sophomore year. He's hearing from high majors and talks to Fran. I like his game. Think he has a chance. Then there's Peter Moe, who played there last year and is Jeff Moe's son. He's a legit 6-9 and was shooting it really well today. Mainly mid major interest so far, but Fran has been in touch a bit. Have heard he's really playing well and that showed up today.

Got to see Payton Sandfort's younger brother, Pryce, for the first time. He's about 6-6 and is kind of a point guard on the Waukee Northwest team. Yes, he has moved schools and really didn't have a choice. Waukee NW won the second game beating the host team, Rock Island, who has a pretty good team this year. Pryce has a really nice shooting stroke and plays smart basketball. Very good feel for the game. Iowa was one of the big calls he received and he's going to be at a football game this fall.

Unfortunately, Cooper Koch didn't play today. Rolled his ankle earlier this week so he wanted to be careful. I think it's safe to say that Koch is a heavy Iowa lean after he picked up the offer from the Hawkeyes. Wouldn't shock me if he came to a football game this fall and gave a verbal commitment. One of his high school teammates is the son of Marcellus Sommerville. They are both 2024 prospects. Sommerville is about 6-7 and looks like he is going to be a good one.

Will have more to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News