ADVERTISEMENT

"She is the face of college basketball. Men and women." --Dan Patrick

I feel exactly the way he does. Good for the players to have the power to control their destiny, but that doesn’t mean I want to watch it. I literally could not name a single men’s player that doesn’t play in iowa. The women’s game is how I used to feel about the men’s game when I was invested in players, even if they were rivals or played 1,000 miles away.
That is exactly what will hurt the NIL of the 2nd level players. The top level will make big bucks wherever they go and then move off to the NBA after a year. That 2nd level that needs a couple years in college will be hurt because the fans are losing their investment in the sport. The one and done’s hurt BBall, but the transfer portal paired with NIL being the Wild West of effectively unrestricted free agency is what will kill the fandom for all but the top few schools.

Iowa, and CC, have caused skyrocketing attendance for women’s games. But attendance is up at other schools lately too. In large part because of familiar faces that are pro-level talented but still in college, most of whom stayed at their schools. LSU is the big experiment this year of how the transfer portal and NIL could be detrimental to the women’s game. It hasn’t gone well for HVL but seemingly has for Morrow this year and did well for Reese previously. The tourney will determine if the team is better or worse for it with multiple established stars coming into a team that already had stars on it.

Personally, one of the best parts of collegiate BBall was watching players mature and grow on the collegiate level on your chosen team, in my case Iowa. This certainly is not the environment any longer with NIL and the transfer portal. So, for me the collegiate game is not as exciting and player allegiance is pretty much gone. JMO

I’ve got news for Dan, most basketball fans still watch men’s games and could care less about Clark or women’s basketball. No denying she’s a great player, but he’s off the mark.
you are an...

Idiot Reaction GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT