ADVERTISEMENT

Shonn Greene (2008) compared to Kaleb Johnson (2024)

Numbers are cool and all, but as much as I like Kaleb Johnson, he's no Shonn Greene . . . at least not yet . . . no matter what the numbers say. Greene literally ran over people like a bulldozer and still had top end speed. Johnson has a different style. I've haven't seen him bulldoze anyone, and he's been caught from behind most of the time. I hope Johnson ends up somewhere close to Greene, but I'll reserve judgment for now. I'm a whole lot more interested in what he's going to do against Minnesota and Ohio State than what he's done against Illinois State and Troy.

Reactions: Tunadog
Numbers are cool and all, but as much as I like Kaleb Johnson, he's no Shonn Greene . . . at least not yet . . . no matter what the numbers say. Greene literally ran over people like a bulldozer and still had top end speed. Johnson has a different style. I've haven't seen him bulldoze anyone, and he's been caught from behind most of the time. I hope Johnson ends up somewhere close to Greene, but I'll reserve judgment for now. I'm a whole lot more interested in what he's going to do against Minnesota and Ohio State than what he's done against Illinois State and Troy.
Johnson reminds me a bit of Arian Foster. Smooth long stride and deceptively fast.

Reactions: fredjr82
Caught from behind most of the time? Not really. He's run away from dbacks more than any RB we've had since probably Tavian. Greene was a slasher and bruiser, Kaleb is finesse and speed.

Not sure I’ve seen Johnson caught from behind but he definitely isn’t as physical of a runner like SG.

My critique of Johnson is that he doesn’t seem to have a lot of wiggle. He’s straight north south runner and there’s a tendency to go down too easy with arm tackles for as big as he is

But he’s our best player

Getting caught on an angle taken by a defender is different from being caught from behind. For Kaleb - Yes on the former, no the latter.

He’s a different back from Shonn. But, he has added a new dimension to his game this year. He’s had multiple carries this year where he’s moved the pile 4-5 yards down the field after initial contact.

The pinball guy this year is Jaz, and that 1/2 punch should be more than enough to keep Iowa's running game moving. Damn that kid initiated contact yesterday. With note to Johnson, he is not going down via arm tackles either, he isn't the downhill runner, but on those outside carries, he is something special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT