ADVERTISEMENT

#1000pages FSU Third Natty (Women’s Soccer 2021 & 2023, and Cheerleading 2023 achieved)

If Laborn leaves, we won't have any scholarship RB other than whoever we sign in this recruiting class (I'm not including Grant since he disappeared this season - I don't think he dressed the last few games).

RB usually make up about 71 percent of the transfer portal*

*actual number may be lower. Consult a doctor before taking a running back. If you experience a problem with running backs that last more than four games seek medical attention.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Consider this: Wille Taggart and Dan Mullen were hired at the same time. Florida had just finished a 4-7 season, including a drubbing by a terrible FSU team on their home field.

They are currently 10-2, finished No. 6 in the latest AP poll and are getting ready to play in the Orange Bowl.

Completely different coaching trajectories.

If Laborn leaves, we won't have any scholarship RB other than whoever we sign in this recruiting class (I'm not including Grant since he disappeared this season - I don't think he dressed the last few games).

And so far not too many good RBs in the transfer portal. Amir Rasul is literally the fourth highest graded in the portal and we're losing him. If Llaborn goes he would be the best available. However I did see there are still rumors about James Cook ie Dalvin's little brother looking to leave so that might become an option.

Consider this: Wille Taggart and Dan Mullen were hired at the same time. Florida had just finished a 4-7 season, including a drubbing by a terrible FSU team on their home field.

They are currently 10-2, finished No. 6 in the latest AP poll and are getting ready to play in the Orange Bowl.

Completely different coaching trajectories.

Eh, Florida had a three game schedule and lost two of them. Even with the terrible teams on their incredibly weak schedule, they nearly lost to 6-6 Miami at a "neutral" site game that was 90% Gators and to 7-5 Kentucky. Their one decent win was over the 9-3 Barn.

Yep. And if he's going to be a minus toward the rebuild/culture change, then I'm ok with that. WT already tried to make the Jimbo knuckleheads work out.

No obviously, if Laborn is all in and has no issues, etc, I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome him back. But I certainly wouldn't "recruit him" back if he wants to go elsewhere, wants to be promised things, etc.

I've got nothing against Laborn, because I don't know him, and I want the best for him. But we do know he was suspended, so there's something there. WT already did the "we can fix them" thing, and he couldn't...same selfish play, same bonehead mistakes, same lack of discipline etc. Time to turn that page unless you absolutely have buy in and commitment.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Eh, Florida had a three game schedule and lost two of them. Even with the terrible teams on their incredibly weak schedule, they nearly lost to 6-6 Miami at a "neutral" site game that was 90% Gators and to 7-5 Kentucky. Their one decent win was over the 9-3 Barn.

Mullen was always going to be a high floor guy. He reached that floor pretty quickly, to his credit. But there was a reason he was their third or fourth choice.

Anyone who didn't think he would do well there was just lying to themselves. But the jury is absolutely still out on them becoming a perennial national title contender like Clemson or Ohio State under Mullen.

Now, WT was a high ceiling/low floor candidate, and even his floor ended up 100 feet below the basement. Norvell is similar, so we'll see, he may not be able to reach the levels that Mullen is at now, who knows.

But I'll say this...just speaking for myself...I'd rather shoot for the moon and hope to get the next version of Nick Saban or Dabo or (ugh) Urban Meyer. I'm "old". I've seen three titles, and that's more than most programs will see. I've gone through the lost decade. We may be in another one, who knows. There was a time that a 6 or 7 win season would sour me for months, and a single loss could ruin me for weeks, but that's a younger me.

I personally would rather cycle through a few Taggarts and Norvells trying to catch the lightning in a bottle and taste that sweet, sweet 1993/1999/2013 nectar, than just be sure someone can get us to 9 wins again. I'll live while we wait.

I know that isn't really in line with other fans, and probably doesn't fit at all with the objectives of the boosters and athletic department, but I don't find myself envying Mullen at UF yet.

We'll get somebody who can run. James Cook is in the portal too I believe. And Jordan Travis. Just leave him back there. You could have Travis and Simms side by side and Boselli could snap it to either of them. Could you imagine the nightmares that would create for a defense?

FSU folks, where do you get your FSU news? I was once a paid member of a site to remain nameless but don't go there any longer...

Odell is staying on - associate HC/defensive line coacch

I assumed that after whatever happened with ODell (and I think Josh Newberg’s explanation that ODell had been told he was still in consideration early in the week and found out that Norvell was coming in as the new HC through the grapevine and not being told directly that he wasn’t getting it), that after a bit of time he would come around and stick with us.

BTW for people wondering. FSU has said the official pronunciation of his name is Nor-Vehl like Carvel ice cream or Elle McPherson and not Nor-val or Nor-vul like a lot of the bloggers and national media say.

Reactions: cmanole
The Twitter

Yeah, Twitter plus group texts with some of my old friends and “contacts”/“sources” and then listening to podcasts. I listen to the following podcasts while driving or doing work which I will rate first for intellectual content and second for entertainment/amusement value: On the Bench 6int/6ent, Nolesports Podcast 5int/4ent, Unconquered Podcast 9int/4ent, Wakeup Warchant 5int/9ent, Rowlcast 3int/6ent, Jeff Cameron Show 5int/9ent, Big 3 Rollup 4int/7ent and Seminole Headlines 7int/10ent.

If you only listened to three podcasts I’d suggest Unconquered Podcast for the actual insightful knowledge as Doc Staples is the only podcaster with actual experience as a player and coach, Seminole Headlines as it’s the best combo of insight and entertainment and Wakeup Warchant as they’re the most professional “entertainers”.

Reactions: cmanole
Don’t know where that has been mentioned, but I’m in Dallas, and the only two names I have heard mentioned (local pundits) are Urban and Lincoln.

I will add to this, that after this weekend, many in the local media are calling for Rhule (to get a look).

I know they are his former guys, but still feels good to be taking some SEC coordinators away for lateral positions. Hopefully this brings cohesion/familiarity.

I don't know exactly what his job duties are at Clemson and how this hire might affect the preparation for the playoffs.

From Dabo -

"Operationally, Jeff will be serving as the head coach at USF for the next week before rejoining us the latter part of next week and remaining with us for the duration of our College Football Playoff run. Our team is excited that he'll have the opportunity to finish our 2019 season with us."

Reactions: DFSNOLE
There's a good piece in the Democrat about how the search actually went. The narrative doesn't resemble most of the internet rumors at all. It confirms who was actually in the loop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT