ADVERTISEMENT

Should Dems push Sonia Sotomayor to retire at the end of this term?

Nah, they should wait for her to die with another Republican in office so she can be replaced by him. It worked so well to let a Republican replace Ginsburg.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
If the situation was completely reversed and republicans were taking about expanding to 13, the same ones advocating for expansion would be screaming bloody murder. Any of them say differently would be lying.
Probably, but you know what the big difference is? Republicans would actually do it.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Soto has a lifetime appointment. It's her decision. If it wasn't an election year OR if Biden had a comfortable lead in the polls, Dems wouldn't be pushing this. Dems don't care about her health as a personal matter, they only care about her health for her votes as a member of the SCOTUS.

Soto has a lifetime appointment. It's her decision. If it wasn't an election year OR if Biden had a comfortable lead in the polls, Dems wouldn't be pushing this. Dems don't care about her health as a personal matter, they only care about her health for her votes as a member of the SCOTUS.
Are there many Dems who are actually pushing this?

After losing Ginsburg's seat do you blame them? Do you really think Thomas won't wait for a Republican President before he steps down?

• Haha
Sotomayor is my favorite Justice, so I don't want her to retire.

Then again, I don't want a repeat of the RBG fiasco.

I'm OK with the idea of expanding SCOTUS in principle. But if that happens and then Trump fills all the new vacancies, I'll go ballistic.

If we are going to go to 13 Justices, maybe we should arrange for each party to get 2 spots. Not ideal, but I cringe to think the expanded court could end up with a 10-3 fascist majority.

• Haha
If we're going to have anything resembling term limits, I'd suggest we simply require the 2 longest-serving Justices to retire after every Presidential election. Giving the new prez the opportunity to shape the court a little bit.

If we want to expand the court, we could just give the new President 2 appointments without requiring anyone to retire, over the next 2 elections.

So Biden (or Trump) could add 2 next January, and AOC (or MTG) could add 2 more in 2029.

• Haha
If we're going to have anything resembling term limits, I'd suggest we simply require the 2 longest-serving Justices to retire after every Presidential election. Giving the new prez the opportunity to shape the court a little bit.

If we want to expand the court, we could just give the new President 2 appointments without requiring anyone to retire, over the next 2 elections.

So Biden (or Trump) could add 2 next January, and AOC (or MTG) could add 2 more in 2029.
So you’ve gone from each party adding two to two presidents (one after the other) adding two.

There are rumblings, especially in progressive circles, that Sotomayor should be encouraged to retire. She is 70 and has some chronic health issues. Senate Dems could slam through a nomination before the election as long as Sinema or Manchin approve of the nominee.
Personally I'm about to the point where we expand the court to 13 or so, and assign 9 justices to each case. Something to spread out the workload. And, term limit the justices to 18 years with strict ethical standards to keep Leonard Leo from buying them.
Well Sinema and Manchin are right wing nutcases so you can't trust them. Pretty sure they would axe anyone Biden would choose. I agree with the term limit idea though.

Leave it as is. Nobody started talking about expansion until Trump snuck three on there.

I agree the GOP were the bad guys in that, but it is what it is. See @TJ8869 explanation. Posts # 21, 25, & 39
Thought's on term limits, retirement?

My main complaint is that you have 3 judges who could conceivably sit on the bench for 30-40 years based on their ages when confirmed. Heck, Thomas has been on the bench since '91 now, and is "only" 75 and seems to be in relatively good health.

I also would propose creating actual basic requirements to be confirmed as a federal judge on any level, most notably that one must have been a practicing lawyer for x number of years and having y number of cases under their belt before being considered for the bench. I'm sure there's plenty one could find over the years that have been confirmed that wouldn't meet those standards - I just remember specifically at least a handful of Trump nominees who had almost zero courtroom experience for example.

Well Sinema and Manchin are right wing nutcases so you can't trust them. Pretty sure they would axe anyone Biden would choose. I agree with the term limit idea though.
This is idiotic. They didn’t axe Biden’s last nominee.

Senate is so close, if you had one defector, GOP would stone wall any nomination
KBJ was confirmed 53-47. Manchin, Sinema, Romney, Collins, and Murkowski all voted for her and would probably vote in favor of any reasonably moderate nominee again this time.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
If the Rs hadn't packed the court first I wouldn't be calling for it. But like usual Dems need to fix what the Rs broke
What the GOP did is not what the Dems are proposing. But you already knew that

Listen moron, anyone can have their opinion. Mine is I don't trust the two. Doesn't mean others can't disagree.
Can you trust Catherine Cortez Masto and Jacky Rosen? They’ve said they’re voting no on Biden’s Judicial nominee Mangi.

Can you trust Catherine Cortez Masto and Jacky Rosen? They’ve said they’re voting no on Biden’s Judicial nominee Mangi.

I honestly don't have a clue who they are. Honest. My problem with Sinema and Manchin stems back to other issues than the Court. Plus, aren't they both leaving office? So they have no reason to GAF. Just my opinion man, not necessarily fact.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT