ADVERTISEMENT

Should doctors be held liable for giving a minor gender hormones without proper informed consent?

That’s certainly a dangerous road.
The idea behind doing gender care under a parent's consent is they claim its life saving (suicide risk is higher for trans). I dont think studies prove this nor is anything with gender care inherently life threatening. You don't just die from being born in the wrong body.

It is a weak argument to support gender care for minors.

Cancer treatment is a different story. If you have cancer, you will die (depending on the type) from the cancer itself.

There are most definitely ethical concerns with providing gender care on a minor before the child fully understands what it means. Developmentally, most minors don't understand what it means to change your gender.

The idea behind doing gender care under a parent's consent is they claim its life saving (suicide risk is higher for trans). I dont think studies prove this nor is anything with gender care inherently life threatening. You don't just die from being born in the wrong body.

It is a weak argument to support gender care for minors.

Cancer treatment is a different story. If you have cancer, you will die (depending on the type) from the cancer itself.

There are most definitely ethical concerns with providing gender care on a minor before the child fully understands what it means. Developmentally, most minors don't understand what it means to change your gender.
I was responding very specifically to the simplistic comment that doctors should never be able to do *anything* without parental consent. That’s absolute garbage. There are situations where care is very much appropriate and necessary whether they can reach the parent or not.

Reactions: lucas80
How could a minor, on their own, provide "proper informed consent" to a physician...

I don't care if a person wants to be trans, as long as they are not a minor. Gender care is elective so it should not be covered by insurance (same as a breast augmentation).
One of my aunts had a mastectomy after a battle with breast cancer. She was in her 60s, but for her mental health insurance paid to put on a fake breast. Was that woke?
Are you now the arbiter of what private insurance companies should cover along with doctors and patients?

• Haha
Reactions: OthaFish
One of my aunts had a mastectomy after a battle with breast cancer. She was in her 60s, but for her mental health insurance paid to put on a fake breast. Was that woke?
Are you now the arbiter of what private insurance companies should cover along with doctors and patients?
You clearly don't understand medical treatments.

Your aunt had reconstruction after a mastectomy for cancer. It is not woke to receive treatment for cancer you idiot.

This is a big difference than a breast augmentation for a trans woman. I see lots of trans men who have a B cup after taking estrogen. They get their augmentation covered by insurance. However a normal woman with a B cup does not get an augmentation covered. This is clearly a double standard that I don't agree with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT