ADVERTISEMENT

Shoutout to Perk and Dembele Today

Jun 8, 2022
Both played their azzes off hustling today. Really thought the effort and intensity was great all the way around, but those two stood out to me.

Was at the game today and this is the first time I really noticed Dembele is pretty damn thick in the legs. He was not afraid to bang down low with Edey and hustled his azz off. Really too bad he got hurt and I hope he’s doing ok - for him and the team. Edey is a goddam giant and it was a war zone every possession. I thought Edey got away with murder and camped in the lane forever (almost every possession).

Perkins was harassed (and fouled) all game long by #55, but he handled it well and kept the offensive and defensive intensity high all game. He started running out of gas toward the end - who wouldn’t - but he left it ALL on the court today.

I have been pretty Meh about Dembele most of this year, but like what I saw today out of him. I will also tell you this. I can't wait until freaking Purdue no longer has a 7.4+ guy in their linup. Where do they finds these freaks?????? ARGH!!

Seems like Perkins does not get a lot of love from the officials.

Gets hammered on a lot of drives to the hoop with no calls.
(And then often gets called on the other end playing defense)

May be just me being a homer, but I think an objective observer could see this pattern as well.
Certainly had a max effort game yesterday.

I have been pretty Meh about Dembele most of this year, but like what I saw today out of him. I will also tell you this. I can't wait until freaking Purdue no longer has a 7.4+ guy in their linup. Where do they finds these freaks?????? ARGH!!
Yeah, you'll be waiting a while. I think they have 1 on the bench and 1 coming in next year.

I hope Dembele's ankle is okay. That was a nasty turn.

Dumbele and Freeman have the potential to be Fran's most well rounded front court.

Iowa would be insane if they reached that level.

936dce25-02cd-47f0-bbb6-728fbf698067-large16x9_GettyImages1301997674.jpg

Reactions: longliveCS40
Seems like Perkins does not get a lot of love from the officials.

Gets hammered on a lot of drives to the hoop with no calls.
(And then often gets called on the other end playing defense)

May be just me being a homer, but I think an objective observer could see this pattern as well.
Certainly had a max effort game yesterday.
I see this constantly against Iowa. Call ticky tack on Iowa but not others. I'm a little biased but just seems the zebras are all out against Fran. Iowa does not get the calls others do...

You do realize they've already recruited another one.

Reactions: Hawkman34
Both played their azzes off hustling today. Really thought the effort and intensity was great all the way around, but those two stood out to me.

Was at the game today and this is the first time I really noticed Dembele is pretty damn thick in the legs. He was not afraid to bang down low with Edey and hustled his azz off. Really too bad he got hurt and I hope he’s doing ok - for him and the team. Edey is a goddam giant and it was a war zone every possession. I thought Edey got away with murder and camped in the lane forever (almost every possession).

Perkins was harassed (and fouled) all game long by #55, but he handled it well and kept the offensive and defensive intensity high all game. He started running out of gas toward the end - who wouldn’t - but he left it ALL on the court today.
Perkins is definitely a warrior and when he's playing well is the best guard that Iowa has had since Marble. He also seems more mature this year in his approach to the game and more consistent as a result. In previous years he would get frustrated and allow it to affect his defense and decision making. We're not seeing as much of that this year. I hope we continue to see him and Dix together in the starting lineup as they are far and away the 2 best guards on the team today.

Yeah, you'll be waiting a while. I think they have 1 on the bench and 1 coming in next year.

I hope Dembele's ankle is okay. That was a nasty turn.
They have Will Berg who is 7'1 from Sweden on the roster. He redshirted last year and has only gotten in during mop up minutes this year. I think he's had some foot issues which is a usually a pretty bad sign for big men.

They also have 7'3 Daniel Jacobsen coming in next year. I think he's originally from Minnesota, but he plays at Brewster Academy (where Dasonte Bowen went to HS). He's not very highly regarded in recruiting circles, but neither was Edey.

I would bet that next year, assuming that Purdue continues to mostly avoid using the portal, that Furst and Kaufman-Renn will be their 2 starters. That is of-course, unless Edey decides to return for his Covid year.

They have Will Berg who is 7'1 from Sweden on the roster. He redshirted last year and has only gotten in during mop up minutes this year. I think he's had some foot issues which is a usually a pretty bad sign for big men.

They also have 7'3 Daniel Jacobsen coming in next year. I think he's originally from Minnesota, but he plays at Brewster Academy (where Dasonte Bowen went to HS). He's not very highly regarded in recruiting circles, but neither was Edey.

I would bet that next year, assuming that Purdue continues to mostly avoid using the portal, that Furst and Kaufman-Renn will be their 2 starters. That is of-course, unless Edey decides to return for his Covid year.
But something worth noting is that I don't think Painter is planning on any of their covid year eligible guys coming back and I think he will have to have someone else transfer out. He signed a 6-man recruiting class and right now the roster is 1 open spot unused, Lance Jones grad senior, 3 guys who still have a covid year (Edey, Gillis and Morton). So that is 5 spots and they will still need a 6th.

Reactions: TheCainer
Nunge started some games next to Garza.

Nunge played some PF with Garza....was not super effective lineup.

Earlier in his career Fran tried to play some Nunge at the SF spot because we didn't have enough bodies and that was a disaster. Nunge became a good player at Xavier because he played exclusively center for them.

I think Dimbelle is a good fit for us at PF. He hopefully will become better shooter and his size allows him to alternate some of the post defense with Freeman so we can keep Freeman out of foul trouble. Freeman is our most important player because Sandfort, Krikke, PMAC are poor interior defenders and Krikke/PMAC are sub par rebounders.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
There’s a 7’3” guy on the bench.

• Sad
Dembele reminds me a bit of gabe olaseni. In sense both come in a bit raw as freshman but have all the tools and athleticism to be very good college players. Credit to gabe who went from a frosh who looked lost at times to the 6th man of the year in Big 10. Dembele has the potential to be a very productive big 10 player.

Dembele reminds me a bit of gabe olaseni. In sense both come in a bit raw as freshman but have all the tools and athleticism to be very good college players. Credit to gabe who went from a frosh who looked lost at times to the 6th man of the year in Big 10. Dembele has the potential to be a very productive big 10 player.
I expected Dembele to have Gabe like development at this stage. Fortunately his skills are ahead of where Gabe was his freshman year. I like everything I have seen from Dembele. Just not quite ready yet.

one of the earlier plays I remember for Dembele early this year was when he hit a turnaround, fadeaway midrange jumper from the baseline and I was like “dang, this guy has some finesse and touch to his game!”

Watching him yesterday I walked away thinking he can be a banger and enforcer if needed too. Has a toughness and grit I hadn’t seen before from him but I’m excited about!

Dembele is shooting 35% this year. That may (hopefully) go up by year end. Oleseni shot .47 his first year and over .5 his last three years. And he shot a fair number of threes, which lowers average.
So Dembele has a ways to go to be as good as Gabe. Maybe a better rebounder and shot blocker, tho.

Dembele is shooting 35% this year. That may (hopefully) go up by year end. Oleseni shot .47 his first year and over .5 his last three years. And he shot a fair number of threes, which lowers average.
So Dembele has a ways to go to be as good as Gabe. Maybe a better rebounder and shot blocker, tho.
Gabe shot three's? Don't recall ever seeing him shoot a 3 pointer.

Reactions: sm_hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT