ADVERTISEMENT

You have to credit Fran tonight boys...

skydog0784

HR All-American
Sep 11, 2013
Fran did a good job tonight with having the right people on the court given the foul constraints of Freeman and Dembele. Went to the 2-3 zone was effective and the right move as he had to play the same 5 guys for a long stretch tonight.

I've been a critic just like many of us, but he did pretty well tonight I thought.

Ya did good Fran tonight!

Fran did a good job tonight with having the right people on the court given the foul constraints of Freeman and Dembele. Went to the 2-3 zone was effective and the right move as he had to play the same 5 guys for a long stretch tonight.

I've been a critic just like many of us, but he did pretty well tonight I thought.

777cb0232e3c735ee2c2c7043bf3c23e.gif

I don’t know about this…it feels results oriented. That’s the problem with fans…

I’ve told this story before but….many of you may know, Matt Painter (who has had way more success than Fran) is routinely blasted by his fans as well. A few years ago I was on their board and they had a big win, like say 69-68 vs MSU…one of their fans, a guy who routinely complained said that was the best game Painter ever coached. I said really…1 missed FT, a bad turnover, a bad call and it’s a loss…

Honestly if MSU doesn’t miss 800 layups and a crap ton of FTs that’s a win for MSU.

Fran McCaffrey is a pretty solid top 40 type coach. Nothing more, nothing less. He is a borderline, offensive genius and a devout. I don’t care about defense guy…..

That’s been good enough to win a lot of games, unfortunately not enough it seems🤷‍♂️

This Iowa team may not be one of the best, but they seem to have a legitimate care for each other which carries to the floor. To me, it appears they move faster, set more screens and make better passes. Fran can use a number of different combinations and get similar results. Also. the team's confidence has been improving in the last few games.

This Iowa team may not be one of the best, but they seem to have a legitimate care for each other which carries to the floor. To me, it appears they move faster, set more screens and make better passes. Fran can use a number of different combinations and get similar results. Also. the team's confidence has been improving in the last few games.

This team has put up the second most ppg in Fran’s tenure at Iowa. It was tied with Luka and Wieskamp’s last year going into tonight at 83.7 ppg. Looking at this roster, I would have said you’re crazy if you told me that stat.

We need to keep Freeman in the game and not on the bench! He just seems to lose concentration a-lot of time.
He needs to give up a few lay ups if that what it takes to stay in the game instead of keeping his chair warm on the bench. We really need him in their all the time...

Reactions: Packer54
This team has put up the second most ppg in Fran’s tenure at Iowa. It was tied with Luka and Wieskamp’s last year going into tonight at 83.7 ppg. Looking at this roster, I would have said you’re crazy if you told me that stat.
Interesting stat, but Iowa is normally close to the top in scoring because of the quick transition; however, year they play a modicum of defense.

I didn't think the Hawks had a much if chance in this one. If you would have told me before the game that MSU would make 7 3's on 50% shooting I would have said no chance.

Iowa controls the paint vs MSU. Wo would have thunk it?

I didn't think the Hawks had a much if chance in this one. If you would have told me before the game that MSU would make 7 3's on 50% shooting I would have said no chance.

MSU made 10 3’s on 50% behind the arc. Seven was in the first half alone. Luckily, they missed plenty of bunnies to off set some of their hot shooting long distance.

Reactions: NI hawk
MSU made 10 3’s on 50% behind the arc. Seven was in the first half alone. Luckily, they missed plenty of bunnies to off set some of their hot shooting long distance.
Ha! I was looking at their 7/14 FT shooting performance!

Izzo and team cannot be very happy about this game.

Great game. Zone worked for most of game untl it didn't. Krikke had 14 boards and a dunk. Maybe he is playing harder. That is coach job to get them to play hard so good job Fran.
I think he plays better when he’s option 1 post guy. Freeman’s emergence has disrupted Krikke a bit, but I think he’ll figure it out and they’ll be more complementary down the stretch. That’s my hope, anyway.

Reactions: LukaDuka

Not me… but when you prep for MSU by playing, and beating, Wisconsin — who is more physical than MSU IMO — I think you’re primed for matching just about anybody’s physicality.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Izzo just doesn’t have the players he used to get a few years ago. Fran has had a run of pretty good ones the past 5-6 years, too.
Yes. Izzo used to put bigs in the league regularly and if they weren't league worthy they were BT worthy.

His bigs are terrible.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned above that I like, Fran is shortening his rotation.

It seems he's down to 7 guys (5 starters + Dembele & Patrick) who are playing double digit minutes while sprinkling in Pryce to spell Dix, Payton, or Patrick & Brock to spell Perkins and Dix for a few minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT