ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Clock issue?

I’ve had three people ask me. I was listening to Dolphin and Podolak, and they obviously were unaware of it, and so am I. My son tells me that Nebraska screwed themselves by doing it. Sounds wonderful.
Is the clock operator part of the officiating crew? Or does the home team furnish them?

Is the clock operator part of the officiating crew? Or does the home team furnish them?
Absolutely a university official/employee. There was probably some confusion because the side judge came in and held his hand up like an idiot and there probably wasn't a clear signal by the officials to wind the clock on the catch. Yes, it was clearly short, but again the people upstairs are waiting for the signal by the refs, and I don't think there was one.

They probably could have, and should have, assumed that the play was still live, because the officials can go back and add time on if the clock is running when it should be stopped.

That's the unbiased answer that I can come up with.

The subjective answer from me is that the clock operator thought he was being cute by stopping the clock and acting like it was suppose to be stopped (when it wasn't) waiting to see if anyone would catch the "error", and should've let well over 10 seconds run off. Instead he ends up gifting Iowa extra time to get the win today.

But I always thought the official time was actually kept on the field.....that's why in almost every game you hear the ref asking the clock operator to please reset the game clock to xyz

But I always thought the official time was actually kept on the field.....that's why in almost every game you hear the ref asking the clock operator to please reset the game clock to xyz
These refs had issues all day, zero targeting calls yet they asked the offending players to leave the field for a play. Amateur all around.

Nebby operator didn't wind the clock for like 12 seconds after a completion short of the 1st down that was tackled in bounds under a minute left. This would have given Nebraska more time to get in FG range, but instead it gave Iowa a chance to win after the interception.

If I am correct they were showing the clock not running on the short catch by fidone. The play before was an incomplete pass so the clock should not have been running. I was amazed they kept talking about it and no one got in their ear.

They loved it when it helped them for a chance to score, and hated it when it gave Iowa time to score. One Nebbie Podcaster pondered giving the timers personal information out to the public.

• Wow
Reactions: Masterprime
What’s fishy is the officials not seeing the clock stopped. Just like them not seeing an obvious targeting on a return, or an obvious PI with Rags getting his shirt pulled. Crooked or inept

The clock is not run by university officials/employees. I know an individual that recently retired from working for the Big 10 who was assigned games to run the clock. One of the interesting things he told me was, no matter how long a field goal is, every field goal is 4 seconds. He was working a game and only 3 seconds went off the clock and they kind of had their hands slapped.

Reactions: Mister Plow
If I am correct they were showing the clock not running on the short catch by fidone. The play before was an incomplete pass so the clock should not have been running. I was amazed they kept talking about it and no one got in their ear.
First down was incomplete pass and clock stopped with 1:22. They then threw a short completed pass to fidone on 2nd down and the clock was not running. It didn't start running until just a second or two before they snapped the ball. They then threw another pass on 3rd down that was incomplete and the clock stopped with 1:09.

That was about 10 seconds of clock that should have run off.

First down was incomplete pass and clock stopped with 1:22. They then threw a short completed pass to fidone on 2nd down and the clock was not running. It didn't start running until just a second or two before they snapped the ball. They then threw another pass on 3rd down that was incomplete and the clock stopped with 1:09.

I believe this is an accurate account. I noticed the clock not running. Unbelievable that nobody noticed it. I noticed it and I was drinking and talking. The announcers noticed. But nobody who mattered noticed.

KF's been playing 4D chess for 25 years. All those moments when he's been clueless about clock awareness have just been a ploy leading up to today, because he knew that not noticing and correcting something like this would eventually lead to an improbable turn of events and a Hawkeye victory. Way to go, KF!

KF's been playing 4D chess for 25 years. All those moments when he's been clueless about clock awareness have just been a ploy leading up to today, because he knew that not noticing and correcting something like this would eventually lead to an improbable turn of events and a Hawkeye victory. Way to go, KF!
The clock thing, the pick by a d-lineman, Williams busting one at a critical time when we could hardly run all day, 2nd string kicker who hasn’t kicked a ball all year, all in the last minute or so. Such is the life of a Husker. Ahahahahahahhaaa!

Edit: I guess we ran ok today, didn’t seem like it though and the one one that final drive was crucial…

Did a stopwatch while re-watching the game. It was actually 11.88 seconds from the snap until they finally wound the clock.

Can't replay the game the exact way, because you can't assume the plays/play calls would have been the same with different time left on clock, but I think the game almost certainly ends with a tie in regulation if not for that gaffe. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT