ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP SCOTUS looking at penalizing homeless

I've been poor, and in today's terms, homeless.

Being poor is not being criminalized against the poor, and the SCOTUS surely didn't go down that road yesterday. In fact it was just the opposite.

Were you born poor? If so, does that make you a loser? I'm asking that question of you personally?
Huey is just a poor guy who regularly makes poor posts. Put him on ignore.
Poor thing. 🤤

These people are unemployable most of the time. Crazy, drug addiction, or alcoholism. A lifetime of poor decisions IMO doesn’t give you the right to camp in parks and shit in the street.

I would plow up their shit every night and burn it. Build a facility where they will be bathed, fed, and incarcerated until sober and then released. City leadership can make it known they can play this game all day. The homeless will go somewhere else after a few cycles.

That could be a lever to use.

There probably needs to be some sort of stipulation that the city has some sort of public shelter option congruent with the city size if they want to be able to arrest/forcefully remove people.

In general small cities would get more leeway because they're just not going to be setup to deal with a big influx of people.
Right, this is part of the case too. Grants Pass does not.

It is a problem. But it's also not unreasonable to have a small town like Grant's Pass want to kick them out of the city park when they show up en masse.
If they failed to act they’d soon be overwhelmed because word would spread that it was a welcoming spot - and I seriously doubt they have the resources available to assist these folks in any meaningful way.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Right, this is part of the case too. Grants Pass does not.
Size of the city? I don't think you can reasonably expect all these small towns to have something setup. And then you have to consider what are basically migration events where people decide on some nice small to town to show up in and camp. That's totally untenable for a small(er) town. They have to have leverage.

I think you try to steer people towards big cities.

If they failed to act they’d soon be overwhelmed because word would spread that it was a welcoming spot - and I seriously doubt they have the resources available to assist these folks in any meaningful way.
I'm betting most of the homeless in Grants Pass likely grew up in Grants Pass. Really no reason for any homeless to travel to GP when Medford/Ashland is 30 minutes away on I-5.

These people are unemployable most of the time. Crazy, drug addiction, or alcoholism. A lifetime of poor decisions IMO doesn’t give you the right to camp in parks and shit in the street.

I would plow up their shit every night and burn it. Build a facility where they will be bathed, fed, and incarcerated until sober and then released. City leadership can make it known they can play this game all day. The homeless will go somewhere else after a few cycles.
But small towns lack the funds to do this. So homeless folks don’t get help because the locals simply can’t afford it.
I don’t mean that the homeless aren’t in need of help. They are.

Size of the city? I don't think you can reasonably expect all these small towns to have something setup. And then you have to consider what are basically migration events where people decide on some nice small to town to show up in and camp. That's totally untenable for a small(er) town. They have to have leverage.

I think you try to steer people towards big cities.
GP is around 40k, and the Medford/Ashland metro about 30 min away is about 225k.

In America, yes. If you have no money or are homeless, America wants to make things worse for you. It's kinda the point of the thread.
Thank God we have Christians out there trying to take care of people.

I did camp in a yurt in The Valley of The Rogue in 2016 which was pretty fkin sweet. No homeless tho.

I'm betting most of the homeless in Grants Pass likely grew up in Grants Pass. Really no reason for any homeless to travel to GP when Medford/Ashland is 30 minutes away on I-5.
You sound more familiar with the area than me, but the larger problems associated with homelessness are universal.
Mental health challenges stemming from poor choices and the resulting effects have to be addressed.
And small towns are not equipped to cope.

GP is around 40k, and the Medford/Ashland metro about 30 min away is about 225k.
Yeah if you were doing this right you'd have hubs where there is homeless shelter space available. Needs to be something planned.

I don't know how much support you can reasonably expect in a town of 40k

I think what people do is go to nice places with nice weather that are close to nice things. Word got out about smaller locals. That sort of migration just won't go over well.

I'd be surprised if these were all recently Grants Pass citizens. I'd assume they migrated in.

But small towns lack the funds to do this. So homeless folks don’t get help because the locals simply can’t afford it.
I don’t mean that the homeless aren’t in need of help. They are.
That’s why you have to crack down right away before the problem balloons in a mess like LA and San Francisco.

Lock them up for 24 hours and toss their shit, they won’t stick around. Let it be known drunk druggies better find an easier option.

Even for a town like Des Moines it’s likely too late. It’s now an accepted/tolerated culture. Just ride the bike paths and you see it.

Iowa likely should build regional facilities to incarcerate them.

That’s why you have to crack down right away before the problem balloons in a mess like LA and San Francisco.

Lock them up for 24 hours and toss their shit, they won’t stick around. Let it be known drunk druggies better find an easier option.

Even for a town like Des Moines it’s likely too late. It’s now an accepted/tolerated culture. Just ride the bike paths and you see it.

Iowa likely should build regional facilities to incarcerate them.
hell ya, fire up the gas chambers, ship them in by the train load.

You forgot your sarcasm emoji.
Not at all. Christian hospitals. Christian group homes and shelters for the homeless. Christian food centers and food pantries. Christian charities. You can't deny that Christians do more for people than any other group as a whole.

hell ya, fire up the gas chambers, ship them in by the train load.
Clearly what they are doing now is working tremendously.

I think most are a lost cause. I would like to make it unpleasant on them to deter others from thinking it’s an acceptable lifestyle.

Not too worried about it. The cities that don’t address it aggressively will be the ones destroyed from the inside out. These people are unemployable and so fried in the head from drugs and alcohol they unable to insert themselves back into society.

Likely soon see middle class gated communities where there is no public land and the homeless will have no safe haven. Making the situation even worse for regular people on the outside of gated communities.

Not at all. Christian hospitals. Christian group homes and shelters for the homeless. Christian food centers and food pantries. Christian charities. You can't deny that Christians do more for people than any other group as a whole.
They try, I agree. There’s a Rescue Mission here in Jax and all the homeless need to do for a hot meal and a bed is to leave the drugs and booze outside and listen quietly to a minister just give thanks for the meal. No sermon involved.
Sadly some cannot manage that.

Clearly what they are doing now is working tremendously.

I think most are a lost cause. I would like to make it unpleasant on them to deter others from thinking it’s an acceptable lifestyle.

Not too worried about it. The cities that don’t address it aggressively will be the ones destroyed from the inside out. These people are unemployable and so fried in the head from drugs and alcohol they unable to insert themselves back into society.

Likely soon see middle class gated communities where there is no public land and the homeless will have no safe haven. Making the situation even worse for regular people on the outside of gated communities.
It’s sad that there has been so little effort to get them help at an earlier point where it might have been effective.

The way to solve starvation is to take away food from the starving, right?

Just not a lot of compassion out there these days. Who knows how or why someone become homeless. Sure, there are times when it is self-inflicted. But there are other scenarios as well. My jaw dropped when I was informed how many homeless students were sleeping in cars. We can do better.

Last edited:
Obviously there is a lot of work to do on the homeless front, but we need figure out a way to get median housing to not cost such large percentages of median household incomes. Otherwise it's just going to keep getting worse.

Proactive, not reactive.
Assholes like Bernie are hoarding housing.
Probably.

It’s sad that there has been so little effort to get them help at an earlier point where it might have been effective.
The city actually has a resource referral program that's part of the police encounter process. They did admit their direct resources are pretty limited.

Reactions: goldmom
You can build all the shelters that you want... there's a good segment of this population that will refuse them or any other "assistance" beyond giving them some food, money and toiletries.

That said, I do agree that decades of closing mental facilities, lack of shelters, and rampant drug and alcohol abuse in this country have gotten us to this position. Those three things need to be addressed to see the large numbers on the streets decrease.
ya can thank that great president, Reagan for starting with the closing of mental facilities.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
ya can thank that great president, Reagan for starting with the closing of mental facilities.
1965 The U.S. Congress establishes Medicaid and Medicare. Mentally disabled people living in the community are eligible for benefits but those in psychiatric hospitals are excluded. By encouraging patients to be discharged, state legislators could shift the cost of care for mentally ill patients to the federal government.

Whoops.

If homeless people can't be on private property and they can't be on public property, then where can they go?
Jim Henson Work GIF by Muppet Wiki

He’s not accountable for the enormous increase in drugs and drug use, though. That’s sadly a personal choice despite drug education programs intended to curb use.

Apparently debtor's court is back
More liberal propaganda in the headline of this thread.

Propaganda information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

The SCOTUS isn't the group penalizing the alleged homeless. The municipalities that passed the laws made the decision to hold people accountable to the law.

Poverty/homelessness used to a be a class phenomenon. Now it can cross demographics literally.
due to housing costs or availability or lack thereof. City zoning requirements in many cities eliminated starter homes which eliminated a crucial layer of affordability. The propensity to urbanize and upscale backfired by assuming the total population was willing to and able to afford the trend.

Poverty/homelessness used to a be a class phenomenon. Now it can cross demographics literally.
due to housing costs or availability or lack thereof. City zoning requirements in many cities eliminated starter homes which eliminated a crucial layer of affordability. The propensity to urbanize and upscale backfired by assuming the total population was willing to and able to afford the trend.
Rent could be $200 a month and those drugged up alcoholics wouldn’t be able to hold a job to pay for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT