ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...Vince McMahon, XFL founder, to officially announce new football league

People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."

Despite his relationship with President Trump, McMahon told reporters he had "no idea whether President Trump will support this."

McMahon said being the only owner of all of the teams will allow him to do whatever he wants.

"I can say, 'Here are the rules, and as long as you are playing football in the stadium for us, you follow these rules.'"

Reactions: The Tradition
People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."

Despite his relationship with President Trump, McMahon told reporters he had "no idea whether President Trump will support this."

McMahon said being the only owner of all of the teams will allow him to do whatever he wants.

"I can say, 'Here are the rules, and as long as you are playing football in the stadium for us, you follow these rules.'"

LikeABoss.gif

If Vince owns all the teams, he gets to pick which one wins. That’s not sports, it’s athletic entertainment.
Nothing wrong with that, but don’t kid yourself that this is going to be something it is not.

I , for one, am hoping that Vince learned something from the first failure of the XFL and does it right this time. Vince McMahon is a successful guy. If anyone can pull off another pro football league it will be him.

No it won't be as good as the NFL, but he could put together a solid, entertaining late winter/spring pro league that is successful. The USFL was on it's way to being successful until it got all screwed up.

I always was befuddled at why the Arena League didn't seem to be able to attract a sizable fanbase. When it started, wasn't it geared towards smaller and medium sized markets? I think perhaps they started going towards larger markets that had many other things to do (including major league sports).

But from what I have seen from the Cedar Rapids indoor team, I think a lot of these owners in these indoor teams are like used car salesmen.

As a football fan, it just amazed me that the indoor game can't draw consistently decent crowds on price to attend games and just being football.

I always was befuddled at why the Arena League didn't seem to be able to attract a sizable fanbase. When it started, wasn't it geared towards smaller and medium sized markets? I think perhaps they started going towards larger markets that had many other things to do (including major league sports).

But from what I have seen from the Cedar Rapids indoor team, I think a lot of these owners in these indoor teams are like used car salesmen.

As a football fan, it just amazed me that the indoor game can't draw consistently decent crowds on price to attend games and just being football.

Because people don't want to watch games that typically score 55-52. They want real football with real football dimensions.

same thing that hurts many league, trying to grow to far too fast. By the mid 2000s they were playing in places they couldn't come close to filling. And fans lacked a connection as teams were relocating every two years because of it. Eventually, the money just wasn't there anymore. Cancelled season sealed the deal.

I believe I read that he's planning on 40 man rosters. I don't know how well 40 man rosters are going to work unless they don't plan on going 11v11. You'd maybe need guys who can go two ways in a pinch.

How would you attempt to construct a 40 man roster?

2 QBs
2 Backs
8 O Lineman
4 WR
2 TE/FB combos
1 K
1 P
5 LBs (reserves being key on special teams)
4 DE's
4 DTs
7 DBs (4 CBs, 3 safeties)

Because people don't want to watch games that typically score 55-52. They want real football with real football dimensions.

And i wonder how many times people in these markets where some of these indoor leagues are in (especially the smaller markets) complain that there is "nothing to do" or complain how expensive it is to take their family to a "real football game with real dimensions".

same thing that hurts many league, trying to grow to far too fast. By the mid 2000s they were playing in places they couldn't come close to filling. And fans lacked a connection as teams were relocating every two years because of it. Eventually, the money just wasn't there anymore. Cancelled season sealed the deal.

I was a longtime STH for the Cedar Rapids indoor team. I split my season ticket with another person, and the people I have tickets with asked me if I was in this year and I said no.

The atmosphere was fun when they were playing in the ice arena. All the fans were close to the action, it was loud.

I know the original plan was to be in the cell center before it flooded, so I think there was a push from the city to be there. I don't know if the owner thought going to the cell center meant selling more tickets cause more seats = more people going. I know they asked on fb what people preferred more and a lot of people wanted to be in the shiny refurbed cell center.

Going to the cell center, the place is half full if lucky during the games, most of the fans were farther away from the action and concession prices push close to many major league venues. Also it doesn't help that people win auctions and pay for the items the won (ie: game jerseys) and have to keep emailing the owner to get the items the paid for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT