ADVERTISEMENT

Slow-smoked roasted tomatoes on the Weber Kettle today, boys....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I have a bumper crop of tomatoes and we've already made gallons of sauce but the tomatoes keep on coming! What to do with all of them?

Roasted tomatoes to the rescue!

But not just any roasted tomatoes....

Slow-smoked roasted tomatoes!

I cut the big ones up into equal-sized chunks, sprinkled in some whole cherry tomatoes, then drizzled the whole pan with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, then a dusting of SPG, and then another dusting of Italian seasoning.

I will be smoking at 225 degrees with a little hickory wood.

This will take about 3 hours. During the last 10 minutes, I'll scatter some chopped fresh basil over them, and let them cool.

You can eat them as a side, or use them as a soup base, mixed into pasta (I'm looking forward to mixing them with pesto on pasta), make smoked bruschetta, smoked salsa, even mixed in with scrambled eggs!

Anyway, CSB.

I have a bumper crop of tomatoes and we've already made gallons of sauce but the tomatoes keep on coming! What to do with all of them?

Roasted tomatoes to the rescue!

But not just any roasted tomatoes....

Slow-smoked roasted tomatoes!

I cut the big ones up into equal-sized chunks, sprinkled in some whole cherry tomatoes, then drizzled the whole pan with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, then a dusting of SPG, and then another dusting of Italian seasoning.

I will be smoking at 225 degrees with a little hickory wood.

This will take about 3 hours. During the last 10 minutes, I'll scatter some chopped fresh basil over them, and let them cool.

You can eat them as a side, or use them as a soup base, mixed into pasta (I'm looking forward to mixing them with pesto on pasta), make smoked bruschetta, smoked salsa, even mixed in with scrambled eggs!

Anyway, CSB.
tenor.gif

Get your hands on some fennel pollen. It had a an awesome flavor to slow roasted tomatoes. I imagine it would even work with the smoke

Reactions: The Tradition
Do you can them after their done?

Nope. Whatever I don't eat today I'll put in plastic bags and freeze them.

I have pesto packed up the same way.

Just put the bags in warm water, they thaw quickly and once warm dump them over hot pasta. Then dig in...

The tomatoes are done, and have fresh basil scattered over them.

Now they go in a warm oven until it's time to eat.

Caf8Arz.jpg

Smells soooooo good.....
I’m giving you a like for the pics but not sure how I feel about smoked tomatoes versus raw.

Okay, so this was really good. The hickory might have been a tad strong for this recipe. Next time I'll try a fruitwood like cherry or peach.

Okay, so this was really good. The hickory might have been a tad strong for this recipe. Next time I'll try a fruitwood like cherry or peach.

Hot and fast might have reduced to smokiness, too. Got to keep experimenting. Fortunately, I have lots of tomatoes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT