ADVERTISEMENT

Snow accumulation (physics question)

IowaPackFan

HR Heisman
Dec 30, 2006
I am at a loss on this, but have to assume there is a scientific reason.
It’s snowing here. I look at my driveway and the snow is not sticking at all on the driveway (~85% of driveway it’s not sticking) except for a ~10’ diameter circle(ish) spot near the top half, but at least 5’ of no snow on all sides. The area doesn’t get more sun or shade than anywhere else in driveway. Why would it only accumulate in that one area and nowhere else?
Wondering if it has to do with the concrete thickness in that spot? The base?

It’s snowing here. I look at my driveway and the snow is not sticking at all on the driveway (~85% of driveway it’s not sticking) except for a ~10’ diameter circle(ish) spot near the top half, but at least 5’ of no snow on all sides. The area doesn’t get more sun or shade than anywhere else in driveway. Why would it only accumulate in that one area and nowhere else?
I'm gonna need a diagram. :oops:

I'm gonna need a diagram. :oops:
Paper is driveway. Snow is in circle. That is all.
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-10-10%2Bat%2B1.26.25%2BPM.png

Just a guess, but maybe within the circle is the coldest area of all the pavement. And that is such because the edges of the pavement are somewhat surrounded by material that is more apt to cause the edges of the pavement to be warmer (and it takes longer for that warmth to penetrate towards the center of the slab).

Again, just guessing.

Reactions: Rifler
I would guess the ground beneath the concrete has settled which allows the concrete to cool quicker and then let's snow stick.

Does it sound hollow under that portion of the driveway if you stomp on it compared to other areas?
To add, does a puddle of water form there or run off?

Reactions: bojihawk44
Just a guess, but maybe within the circle is the coldest area of all the pavement. And that is such because the edges of the pavement are somewhat surrounded by material that is more apt to cause the edges of the pavement to be warmer (and it takes longer for that warmth to penetrate towards the center of the slab).

Again, just guessing.

Yeah. I'm thinking the slab is absorbing heat from around the edges faster than in the middle of the slab. Is there dark landscaping around the edges? Maybe the fill under the slab is more porous around the edge and it stays dryer. The wetter middle part of the slab would require more heat to raise the temperature. Water has a high specific heat.

I'm done.

I wonder when the driveway was poured, if the contractor used the same material everywhere except that one area where they used some other type of filler. It does seem strange that that one area doe seem almost a perfect circle though.

Is that where you put the corpses? They thaw out more slowly, leading to the pavement above staying cooler, thus allowing snow to accumulate.

Had something similar happen a couple years ago, except it was in the face of Jesus. I considered it a miracle and banged OP’s mom to commemorate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT