ADVERTISEMENT

Snowbird Baseball Classic

Leonard just gave up four earned in the bottom 8th and barring a miracle assures and Iowa loss. Crying shame as I don't think Pitt is that good but going to steal one here.

Even tho I know Grant L made some All American teams I don’t think he is even a top 4-5 pitcher for Iowa JMO

He really got into a groove for most of last year, but he has shown he can be had. I think he did at Hawaii and Okie State last year and the end of last year he was getting hit too.

Good news is Iowa is at 8 in RPI despite loss, and the next two weeks are an RPI goldmine for Iowa.

Bad news is I don’t think Pitt is all that good, and if Iowa should find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble then look back at this.

Reactions: iowaHawkeyes2323
He really got into a groove for most of last year, but he has shown he can be had. I think he did at Hawaii and Okie State last year and the end of last year he was getting hit too.

Good news is Iowa is at 8 in RPI despite loss, and the next two weeks are an RPI goldmine for Iowa.

Bad news is I don’t think Pitt is all that good, and if Iowa should find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble then look back at this.
Yeah he had a good start to the year last year and faded down the end of the season but let’s see what happens might be just a one game thing

Next week will be a very good challenge for the Hawks. SDSU is chosen to win the MWC. Arizona swept a pretty bad Albany team this weekend and plays Minnesota tomorrow. San Diego has two power five wins already, over Oregon and Minnesota. Will be a solid chance to boost the RPI this upcoming weekend like previously stated. Hawks have gotta go 2-1.

On a side note....

It was nice to hear Morgan Hawk on the call over the weekend. I know he has pulled back somewhat on his Kernels broadcasting duties, but hopefully he will make the trip this weekend.

I appreciated listening to an announcer who had some experience and knowledge of the game, instead of just throwing a green student broadcaster on a microphone.

The radio booth in the first month of the baseball season is almost always in flux as the lead play-by-play announcer finishes up with basketball.

Asking a closer to get the third out in the 8th inning isn't a "tall ask."

Leonard threw 14 "low pressure" pitches on Friday - striking out two and getting a ground out. Thus, he was fresh on Sunday.

Nedved was the 11th different pitcher / 8th different reliever used by Iowa over the weekend. No disrespect to him but . . . let's face it . . . he's not going to be considered a "go to" pitcher.

Leonard was brought in to face Pittsburgh's lead off hitter (2-4 at that point in the game). When all is said and done, sometimes you need to bring in your best reliever in the highest leverage situation.

All that written, the decision was made by Asst. Coach Sutherland instead of Coach Heller. If Heller hadn't been tossed, maybe he sticks with Nedved for another batter or two . . .

Finally, if Iowa elects to keep Nedved in the game for a couple of extra hitters and Pittsburgh rallies and wins, wouldn't the coaching staff be questioned as to why they kept a "warmed up" Leonard in the bullpen and sticking with Nedved?

Don't get me wrong. I was far from happy while watching the updates on Twitter (thankfully the win in Minneapolis by the basketball team detracted from the disappointment) . . but electing to bring in the "go to" pitcher late in a game didn't bother me from a strategic standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT