ADVERTISEMENT

So 7 of the 9 SC Justices were raised

Catholic? What the Fuk? Not that is some serious BS. Look out Baptist Mormons we are close to a state religion. You other religions better get your act together. Because history is repeating its self.
Been that way for a while. I noticed this a couple of decades ago. No atheists or agnostics. The only non-Christians are of Jewish faith.

Would the Senate ever confirm an admitted atheist? How about a Muslim?

Been that way for a while. I noticed this a couple of decades ago. No atheists or agnostics. The only non-Christians are of Jewish faith.

Would the Senate ever confirm an admitted atheist? How about a Muslim?
I assume admitting yourself as atheist would be a career killer, so no chance there. Muslim a little better chance, but probably not in my lifetime.

Catholic? What the Fuk? Not that is some serious BS. Look out Baptist Mormons we are close to a state religion. You other religions better get your act together. Because history is repeating its self.
The more important question might be whether that unrepresentative share has produced distorted decisions? I can't tell; can you?

I mean this millennium's Court has rendered a shitload of crappy decisions, but is that because of their religious leanings?

Reactions: OhAdam
The more important question might be whether that unrepresentative share has produced distorted decisions? I can't tell; can you?

I mean this millennium's Court has rendered a shitload of crappy decisions, but is that because of their religious leanings?
The irony here is that Catholics in American politics have had to fight against religious bias for much of American history - crazy, conspiratorial nonsense that all Catholics would take their marching orders from the Pope over any secular authority...it's not an accident that JKF was the first Catholic POTUS.

Several years back I criticized the fact that the Supreme Court was an Ivy League club. I was of course attacked by many board posters who defended such because they were among the top law schools.

Several years back I criticized the fact that the Supreme Court was an Ivy League club. I was of course attacked by many board posters who defended such because they were among the top law schools.
So what is your point? The two situations are not remotely comparable. Selecting justices from the best law schools increases the chances of putting the best-qualified lawyers on the bench. Using a religious litmus test does not serve this goal.

So what is your point? The two situations are not remotely comparable. Selecting justices from the best law schools increases the chances of putting the best-qualified lawyers on the bench. Using a religious litmus test does not serve this goal.

Nine non Ivy League law schools are currently ranked in the Top 14 law schools in America.

With the appointment of Barrett, they now have one justice that is not from an Ivy league school.

Ya know, America was conceived upon Christian beliefs and values and that is the standard, no matter what the constitution states.

The gateway drug, so to speak, was adding God to the pledge and uplifting Him unto our national motto.

It's a religious coup.

Oh Alaska. You’re so slow sometimes.
...and you have no sense of humor.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Catholics_vs._Convicts_Poster.jpg

Nine non Ivy League law schools are currently ranked in the Top 14 law schools in America.

With the appointment of Barrett, they now have one justice that is not from an Ivy league school.
It's apparent Ivy league law schools don't teach the constitution worth a shit.

True but it's arguably an even narrower club, and even more out of touch with average folks.

Personally, I'd like to see a scientist, philosopher, historian, teacher and maybe even an artist or a homeless person on the bench. Justices have staffs (and soon AI) to help them navigate the legal nuts and bolts. What they don''t have enough of is different ways of looking at the threats and needs we face.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I think it’s strategic.

Conservatives wanted “pro life” justices. Catholics are widely perceived as “pro life” but are not generally seen as being a part of the “Religious Right.” This makes them more palatable to both parties.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
A. You assumed I didn't get yours.
B. Since you didn't get my (from left field) reference, you made it personal.

Amazon Studios Relax GIF by ThePeopleWeHateAtTheWedding
Sigh. All of my correspondence ITT has been fully tongue in cheek, including the “making it personal” stuff. You sensitive kid, you.

Sigh. All of my correspondence ITT has been fully tongue in cheek, including the “making it personal” stuff. You sensitive kid, you.
Oh ffs

It's okay you didn't get the scUM/ND reference. I dropped it for the Noles, so I shouldn't have quoted you, I should have just quoted Whiskey. I only meant "personal" as in you directed a comment towards me, not that I was upset about it.

It's fine.

We're good.

15ce28bd-09ae-4952-ade7-a60338ea99f7_text.gif

Oh ffs

It's okay you didn't get the scUM/ND reference. I dropped it for the Noles, so I shouldn't have quoted you, I should have just quoted Whiskey. I only meant "personal" as in you directed a comment towards me, not that I was upset about it.

It's fine.

We're good.

15ce28bd-09ae-4952-ade7-a60338ea99f7_text.gif
I’m 51. I got the reference. I went to the Iowa-Miami game during that era.

True but it's arguably an even narrower club, and even more out of touch with average folks.

Personally, I'd like to see a scientist, philosopher, historian, teacher and maybe even an artist or a homeless person on the bench. Justices have staffs (and soon AI) to help them navigate the legal nuts and bolts. What they don''t have enough of is different ways of looking at the threats and needs we face.

The staff are also heavily filled with Ivy League grads.

Republicans found that the conservative judges they were putting on the court would moderate over time. So they came up with the idea that judges who were raised in severe conservative religious environments, and base their conservatism on a practicing biblical religious foundation is more likely to ensure they stay conservative over time.

Republicans found that the conservative judges they were putting on the court would moderate over time. So they came up with the idea that judges who were raised in severe conservative religious environments, and base their conservatism on a practicing biblical religious foundation is more likely to ensure they stay conservative over time.
Plausible.

Omg I’m so glad you survived that horrible experience.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT