ADVERTISEMENT

So, has this always been primarily a political board?

The other problem is, people don't REPLY to non-political threads.

Today I have put up threads on Red Dead Redemption and the CBS/NFL turning down weed ads and they are both about to fall off page 1.

Don't like the political crap? ENGAGE with the non-politcal crap!

**end rant

*** and yes maybe my subjects suck, but at least I'm trying

Start more salsa threads dude...or juice threads...it shows my depth as a poster and the subject matter is clearly thought provoking.

There were always political threads. But you get a higher amount now. On top of that if there's a hot topic you get 5 threads on the same thing. Bring back poop threads.

Here’s a case in point.

I started one thread about the Covington Catholic issue where at a rally a bunch of white prep kids yelled “it isn’t rape if they enjoyed it” at some women abortion protestors and intimidated some other minority groups called “The neonazi faces of our future”. As far as I’m aware no other neutral or Dem threads were started. There was another thread opened titled “Uh oh. Covington Catholic caught in another video...” that could have just been in the main thread but I’d allow it as a mod as it’s on an entirely different incident.

But here come the Magas posting threads titled

1) “Covington Students Invited To White House”

2) “Cov Cath kids have libel and slander lawsuit against fake news media for jumping to conclusions???”

3) “So This Phillips Guy May Not Have Even Served In Vietnam”

4) “Progressives Remember This”

5) “Cov Cath kids only guilty of being white, Christian, pro-life and Trump supporters”

6) “Was Catholic School Incident Distraction From Buzzfeed Report”

7) “Here Is The Most Accurate Version Of Catholic School Incident”

8) “Are we cool with doxing teenagers?”

9) “U.S. Representative Thomas Massie, R-Ky weighs in on the Catholic school - D.C. incident”

10) “So There Is More To The Story: Catholic School In DC”

So there’s a minimum of TEN entirely superfluous threads about the Covington Catholic school issue opened by Magas too stupid and/or insecure to just post on the main thread.

And the Buzzfeed article? Good Jebus there are a ton of threads, maybe 20 started by Magas about just that same issue. I think they believe if they start enough threads that people will believe it’s more than the same handful.

Here’s a case in point.

I started one thread about the Covington Catholic issue where at a rally a bunch of white prep kids yelled “it isn’t rape if they enjoyed it” at some women abortion protestors and intimidated some other minority groups called “The neonazi faces of our future”. As far as I’m aware no other neutral or Dem threads were started. There was another thread opened titled “Uh oh. Covington Catholic caught in another video...” that could have just been in the main thread but I’d allow it as a mod as it’s on an entirely different incident.

But here come the Magas posting threads titled

1) “Covington Students Invited To White House”

2) “Cov Cath kids have libel and slander lawsuit against fake news media for jumping to conclusions???”

3) “So This Phillips Guy May Not Have Even Served In Vietnam”

4) “Progressives Remember This”

5) “Cov Cath kids only guilty of being white, Christian, pro-life and Trump supporters”

6) “Was Catholic School Incident Distraction From Buzzfeed Report”

7) “Here Is The Most Accurate Version Of Catholic School Incident”

8) “Are we cool with doxing teenagers?”

9) “U.S. Representative Thomas Massie, R-Ky weighs in on the Catholic school - D.C. incident”

10) “So There Is More To The Story: Catholic School In DC”

So there’s a minimum of TEN entirely superfluous threads about the Covington Catholic school issue opened by Magas too stupid and/or insecure to just post on the main thread.

And the Buzzfeed article? Good Jebus there are a ton of threads, maybe 20 started by Magas about just that same issue. I think they believe if they start enough threads that people will believe it’s more than the same handful.
it's because we don't believe these are the neonazi faces of the future. why click on it?

Reactions: RTM58
So if the excuse is you didn’t know what it was about and needed to start ONE other thread on it...explain the other nine.
no it is a fact that we don't believe in all the hyperbole about neo-Nazis so we start ten threads proving it was all fake news and not a thing

I believe there used to be a rule about no political topics. Some didn't like it, but it was probably better (more fun) on this message board back then.
Another Hawkeye board does a good job with having 'omnibus' threads. That way main issues are contained into one mega thread instead of having 20 threads on the same topic. But, that takes some moderation/self-discipline to enact.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I believe there used to be a rule about no political topics. Some didn't like it, but it was probably better (more fun) on this message board back then.
Another Hawkeye board does a good job with having 'omnibus' threads. That way main issues are contained into one mega thread instead of having 20 threads on the same topic. But, that takes some moderation/self-discipline to enact.

My libertarian side prefers the messiness and lack of heavy handed moderator influence here.

Reactions: Herkmeister
70% of the posts on the front page are political trolling and sniping. Is this what this board has always been all about? Or is this relatively new that it's first and foremost a place for political fighting?

There's a lot of immaturity. Which is nice.

Poop is a favorite topic. ;)

The politics gets pretty old. It be like...…………

The megathread will be ready when the megathread is ready.

Today I have put up threads on Red Dead Redemption and the CBS/NFL turning down weed ads and they are both about to fall off page 1.

**end rant

Well Torbee, in general only a few of us really like you. :cool:

**end rant

So, before this thread, I didn't understand the ignore function. Without that, everything just drops off as a cadre of people just post over and over political topics. So, I suspect that has a lot to do with it, things just fly off the board when there are 10-20 posts on the same political "subject".

I actually like political discussion, and agree with the "politics are part of life". I'd rather not mute them all. However, a million posts on the same subject, and a ton of posts that aren't a discussion, that are just partisan shitposts picked up off twitter or whatever, makes it pretty impossible to wade through without the ignore function.

But with the ignore function, yep, much easier to try to engage.

Reactions: Wendy79 and RTM58
So, before this thread, I didn't understand the ignore function. Without that, everything just drops off as a cadre of people just post over and over political topics. So, I suspect that has a lot to do with it, things just fly off the board when there are 10-20 posts on the same political "subject".

I actually like political discussion, and agree with the "politics are part of life". I'd rather not mute them all. However, a million posts on the same subject, and a ton of posts that aren't a discussion, that are just partisan shitposts picked up off twitter or whatever, makes it pretty impossible to wade through without the ignore function.

But with the ignore function, yep, much easier to try to engage.

If you want to avoid political threads, just ignore cigaretteman on the left, and IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life on the right and you’ll eliminate over half straight away.

If you want to avoid political threads, just ignore cigaretteman on the left, and IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life on the right and you’ll eliminate over half straight away.

Yep, I’m pretty the latter was responsible for 5 or 6 of the threads in my example.

That's fair (but I have posted a 150 times or so). But honestly trying to get a feel for what it is. What Tenacious describes is what I thought it was. NaturalMWA's post says no, it is by design.

But, thanks to this thread, now I know you can put me on ignore!
I didn’t say it was designed that way, I said we like it that way. The empirical proof is on every page. People post the most in political threads. The market has determined political topics are the most popular. Even all these folks who complain about it, they don’t post other topics, but they do post in the political threads.

Yep, I’m pretty the latter was responsible for 5 or 6 of the threads in my example.
He wasn't voted WPOTY for nothing!

And if you think his political takes suck, you should see his sports takes!

His existence single-handedly cured me of being pro-life, just because even his mom probably regrets letting that pregnancy come to full term.

I didn’t say it was designed that way, I said we like it that way. The empirical proof is on every page. People post the most in political threads. The market has determined political topics are the most popular. Even all these folks who complain about it, they don’t post other topics, but they do post in the political threads.
agreed. And I think this is why it has not gone away. There have been calls to have it go -but it never does

Reactions: naturalmwa
Poop was indeed mentioned with the guy crapping his pants at Ryan's Steakhouse. Also, you lived it but I thought it was a mete stone or something. I thought those were like stone monuments indicating boundary lines.

The ring was left on the mete stone by the girl...the money clip was found by me on the fence post years earlier.

70% of the posts on the front page are political trolling and sniping. Is this what this board has always been all about? Or is this relatively new that it's first and foremost a place for political fighting?
It's a place to get nosy. Like how many times do you wipe your bum, etc. etc. Or a place to get medical answers before you see a doctor. Or what is there to see in
such and such a burg in Iowa. Plus a place to run down various cities and towns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT