ADVERTISEMENT

So how’s that paying for players working out

shocked philip j fry GIF

Anyone who didn’t see this coming is a moron. The meltdown thread is absolutely priceless.

The NIL is the wild west. There are no rules. Without rules and regulations in place, I'll never donate a dime. I'm sure that shithead Proctor made off with hundreds of thousands of dollars, all from hardworking Iowans across the state. Sickening.

if it were all third party people hiring folks, away from the university... and away from ncaa...like, if I am 20 and I want to flip burgers and get paid 20 mil a yr to flip burgers... and go to school too...go for it!!! but the thing is, they don't pay millions to flip burgers.

but if it were a contract between two consenting adults outside of a univ..... no need for donations.

But you people like to go to them games etc, no? Fussball. All that. Haha what a shit show.

I bought a 6-pack of Swarm beer last year just to try it. Decent, but haven’t bought another one since. That was my one and only contribution to NIL… and the only one I’ll ever make. Fvck these spoiled athletes.

Hahahahahaha wow

Things I will never waste my money on. Donating to buy “student athletes.”
I have a son who’s is a freshman at Iowa, and a daughter who will likely attend Iowa in a couple of years. No more youth sports and weekends spoken for. I am a fan and have gone to games over the years, and was prepared to up it drop a good chunk of cash on tickets and such. I will still go to an occasional game, but I have a hard time parting with large chunks of money when there is no regulation of this. I’m not saying they shouldn’t get paid but this is madness.

Hahahahahaha wow

This isn’t “paying players” this is largely unregulated bribing kids with the biggest gift. Paying players would be either set salaries or contract negotiations plus health and disability insurance coverage. The later would be a godsend, the current situation is largely because coaches and administrators want big paychecks on the backs of cheap/free labor and don’t want to share with the kids.

If the NIL payers didn’t have a contract in place to get funds back if a kid quits or transfers, they are just asking to get scammed.

I must say, I get a bit of a chuckle out of the people crying that proctor better give back the swarm money.
I haven’t donated a single penny to NIL and don’t plan to. I love football and basketball but I’d rather not watch either than give a single penny to these college kids playing a game. They already get plenty to play here.

This isn’t “paying players” this is largely unregulated bribing kids with the biggest gift. Paying players would be either set salaries or contract negotiations plus health and disability insurance coverage. The later would be a godsend, the current situation is largely because coaches and administrators want big paychecks on the backs of cheap/free labor and don’t want to share with the kids.

If the NIL payers didn’t have a contract in place to get funds back if a kid quits or transfers, they are just asking to get scammed.

NILs are in a tough position because, by rule, NIL money cannot be an inducement to play for a particular school. Also worth noting that there’s plenty of athletes getting screwed where they were promised a certain amount of money from NIL that they never actually get and have no enforceable contract.

Of course, everyone knows that is a joke. But the NCAA has had its head in the sand for decades ignoring the economic reality that these athletes are worth big money to the schools.

Allow players to opt-in to being treated as employees, give them contracts with buyouts, and we won’t these kinds of situations.

Hahahahahaha wow

You are watching the games, so you are donating to sustain huge coaching salaries and women's college sports.

Maybe the NIL landscape will settle out, but if all Iowa fans think along the same lines, Iowa's competitive position is worsened.

I spend about $960 year for streaming service to be able to watch live sports, mostly to see Hawkeyese. I gave $200 to Swarm because I want to see a better product and do my part and it didn''t make sense to spend $960 for streaming an do nothing to help the teams compete.

I must say, I get a bit of a chuckle out of the people crying that proctor better give back the swarm money.
I haven’t donated a single penny to NIL and don’t plan to. I love football and basketball but I’d rather not watch either than give a single penny to these college kids playing a game. They already get plenty to play here.

No question. It was a dick move by Proctor, but he isn’t giving $$ back. What he did is made these corporate groups paying players and people paying into collectives look like complete morons.

Maybe ISU's approach is the correct one after all...pay current players to stay.

Can you explain to everyone the different arms of SWARM and which arm Proctor got paid from?

Or are you just ignorant on how it all works?
NIL is ****ing stupid and I will never donate money to entice teenagers to play for "my school." All I need to know.

This is a prime example, regardless of where the $$$ came from.

Seriously, donate money to things that actually matter. Not college kids pockets. Let the schools figure that out.

NIL is ****ing stupid and I will never donate money to entice teenagers to play for "my school." All I need to know.

This is a prime example, regardless of where the $$$ came from.

Seriously, donate money to things that actually matter. Not college kids pockets. Let the schools figure that out.
It should be the responsibility of the head coach and the staff under them to recruit, develop, and retain the players needed to put a good football team on the field.

Now, it’s whatever fanbase has the deepest pockets and most obsessed fans, or psycho megadonors who are hellbent on a championship. That’s bullshit. It shouldn’t be up to US to keep Iowa competitive.

I have much respect for @Tx_Hawk and what he’s done in trying to help Iowa athletes. It’s a massive undertaking. But I just can’t do it. I can’t give my money to the cause. It ultimately is just not worth it to me.

I can’t imagine how frustrating some of this has to be for him.

Settle down, Slick. You just learned about the different "arms" of the Swarm like 12 hours ago.😂

Not true. Not all fans are ignorant like yourself.

I posted this 6 months ago, on Sep 21, 2023:

The way I understand it is there are 2 arms (or buckets of money):

1) SWARM Inc -- where the big deals get handed out to players like McNamara, All, etc. As we know, all of the money so far has been used to acquire football talent. This money comes from Bill Moon (Iowa 80 Truck Stop), Summit Ag Group, Mid-States Millright & Builders and Dale Howard Auto Center. There probably are others.

2) SWARM collective--where any student athlete from football, MBB or WBB who volunteers gets paid.

LINK:

Not true. Not all fans are ignorant like yourself.

I posted this 6 months ago, on Sep 21, 2023:

LINK:

Settle down, Slick. You just learned about the different "arms" of the Swarm like 12 hours ago.😂
Get it right! He’s known for 6 months now.
I guess my question is does it really matter what arm some college kid is getting paid from to play football where he gets a free education and room and board.
Or have they stopped the free education part by now beings they don’t go to class anyway.

Reactions: kkhawk
I haven't donated at all and won't be doing so in the future.
I'm all for these players having the right to earn money, but not my money.
I like it when the Hawks win and don't like it when they lose, but the euphoria/disappointment lasts all of about two minutes. I simply don't care enough to put any skin in the game.

Yeah. I can afford to contribute money to swarm. I just have never had any desire to. Nor do I have a desire to contribute money to my favorite NFL or NBA teams. These aren't charities. They are entertainment and big businesses. If you want to attend an event you pay a fee. If you want to watch them on TV you pay the streaming service.

Plenty of other way more deserving organizations and causes to contribute to for altruistic purposes. Priorities.

Hahahahahaha wow

It's not the paying the players at issue here. It's the lack of rules governing it.

Back in the day, there was no money to pay college athletes. Coaches made salaries not that much greater than most other people. But with the explosion of TV money, the multimillionaire coaches, the thriving sports media, the bloated salaries of bowl "executives"--everybody getting rich except the players--NIL was long overdue.

The NCAA and the universities were negligent and had to be dragged into this era of fairness for players, just as MLB, for example, had to be dragged into the free agency era.

Again, paying the players who generate the billions of dollars is mandatory. But without rules governing all of that, we have the mess we're in now. It's not the players' fault, but that doesn't excuse the behavior of the players, like KP, who are exploiting the lack of a system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT