ADVERTISEMENT

So I have a sinkhole in my yard

hawksnc10

All-Conference
Jul 24, 2010
It's about 3.5-4 feet on diameter and about 4 feet deep. Who do I call for this?

Call a contractor. Chance are it's an old well or septic, something along that line. Bought a house once where an old man dropped 15 feet straight down while mowing once. If you want you can go jump up and down on it to see how deep it is.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Conventional wisdom holds that you should start dumping old appliances, farm implements, and automobiles into it. That's what the greatest generation did.

You might consult @SalAunese , I believe he lives near the sinkhole capital of Minnesota.

Plant trees all around it. Pretty easy to identify a sinkhole our in farm fields that way.

Reactions: JMNSHO
If it could be broken water or sewer line you could call the city I think.

It was optional.
I'm pretty sure it's mandatory and also FL Ins. Cos. have to provide coverage.

My Dad's house in Ocala was built on a sinkhole. It took 37 cement trucks full of dry slag to fill it. Not sure who mentioned cement, they don't use wet crete to fill them.

37 cement trucks. Think about that.

My Dad's house in Ocala was built on a sinkhole. It took 37 cement trucks full of dry slag to fill it. Not sure who mentioned cement, they don't use wet crete to fill them.

It might be based on exactly where you live, although, not sure why my neighborhood would get a break. Sinkholes happen all the time in my county, although they're usually a few miles west of me out by the springs.

I get em all the time in my backyard. Lot was top filled and graded over 30 years ago and as the stumps they didnt bother to remove finally rot, boom, a 3-5 foot deep sinkhole.

It might be based on exactly where you live, although, not sure why my neighborhood would get a break. Sinkholes happen all the time in my county, although they're usually a few miles west of me out by the springs.
I'm pretty sure there is state law that says Ins Cos have to cover sinkholes/damage through homeowner policies. Maybe insurance specifically for sinkholes is optional.

I wonder how many yards of material a cement truck holds.

hope your neighbors never rat you out
This is where people get caught all the time... I was on the buyer end of this one time. The seller ended up paying for a basement water mitigation system 6 months after closing.

Edit: At risk of making everything political, of course the liar was an right wing, self-proclaimed christian republican.

Last edited:
It's about 3.5-4 feet on diameter and about 4 feet deep. Who do I call for this?
A gate to Hell has opened in your yard. Who ya' gonna call?

Ghostbusters-Bill-Murray-Dan-Aykroyd-Harold-Ramis-Ernie-Hudson.jpg

...or @THE_DEVIL ...whoever's available.

If it could be broken water or sewer line you could call the city I think.
If it's on your propery and if it's domestic water, they'll shut off the water and tell you to call a plumber. If it's sewer, they'll probably still shut off your water and tell you to call a plumber.

Usually 9 -10 yards in Iowa.Used to be about 7 max but cheater wheels allow them to meet bridge law requirements. They don't get off a hard surface much anymore thus the need for pumps and cranes. A yard of concrete weighs over 4,000 pounds.
So, 370 yards of slag, or about 10,000 cubic feet. Basically a box that’s 20’x20’x25’.

Yeah, that’s a pretty big hole.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT