ADVERTISEMENT

So, is the Cyclone season still a success?

HRiscool

HB Heisman
Feb 28, 2007
I think the logic on this board is success is measured by what happens during the regular season not the post-season.

Am I wrong?

With their talent, I'd say anything less than the Sweet 16 was a big failure. For Iowa, getting into the tournament is a success in itself and any wins just make it that much better.

All about perspective and expectations.

Absolutely a successful season by any measure, especially for Iowa State.

I still think its a success, but there will always be what could have been. Just like when Iowa lost as a 3 seed, I say a team is a 3 seed for a reason. There is an entire body of work that shows how good a team is or can be. However, just like when Iowa lost and when ISU lost to Hampton, Clone fans will always wonder what could have been.

No.

They are not the reg season conference champions.

They, as a 3 seed and Final 4 and National Championship darling, choked today, which is unacceptable.

Hell yes it was a success. To say otherwise is just dumb. However, their post season was an epic failure and a major disappointment.

Originally posted by luvmyhawks:
Hell yes it was a success. To say otherwise is just dumb. However, their post season was an epic failure and a major disappointment.
+1 Of course their season was a success.

Use the NCAA's own system to Invite and Seed teams. According to it, yes, Iowa State's season was a success.

As to the Tournament? Obviously it was a big, fat fail. But start judging whole seasons off a tournament and the big, fat fail will be on the person doing the judging. One only hopes this person never becomes an AD.

Yes. To suggest otherwise is silly. Yes it ended in a disappointing way, but they still won a lot of games, were ranked all season, and won the Big XII tourney. Good season.

sounds like Bryce Jones was a big time team chemistry issue; when he did not play, he pouted; for once, a transfer did not work for Freddy

Here is what we know for sure. Clown fans touted Tourney success last year. If the Hawks win tomorrow, tourney success will automatically be meaningless and not something that is fair for discussion.

What ever will clown fans do with all the time they spend here?

I saw this on CF: Would you rather be Sweet Sixteen or win games at the B12 Tournament?

Lets face it. Regular season championships (not the tournament championship) and how you do in the Big Dance are what matter.

This post was edited on 3/19 7:25 PM by OnceAhawk

I don't know. It was almost exactly the same as our 2005-2006 season. 2nd in conference in regular season. Won conference tournament. Lost in first round of NCAA tournament to a 14 seed. We also finished 25-9 that year, same as Cyclones this year ( kinda creepy). That was a good season for us, but looking back I don't think of it as being a successful season with the 1st round loss in the NCAA tourney. The NCAA tourney is what is remembered and is ultimately what determines a successful season IMO. So I guess my answer is this was not a successful season for the clones.

This post was edited on 3/19 7:30 PM by GPRHAWK

From the evidence that I had this was an epic fail. With 30 seconds left the drinking establishment I was ate was like an exodus. They were leaving quickly.

Originally posted by HRiscool:
I think the logic on this board is success is measured by what happens during the regular season not the post-season.

Am I wrong?
Of course it was a successful season. It was also a disappointing season. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

When ISU's program gets to the point where being ranked all season, finishing a game out of first place in the conference, winning the conference tournament, being spotlighted on national TV several times, and getting a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament is not considered a successful season, I'l let you know.

UAB was just 16-15 in the regular season before making its run through the Conference USA tournament for an automatic bid.

UAB outrebounded Iowa State 52-37 (including 19 offensive rebounds) and made all the clutch plays down the stretch.

ISU fans still want to call the season a success?

No reg season Big 12 title.

No run in the NCAA tournament.

I would not call this a successful season. What can you point at and label "success?"

I saw this on CF: Would you rather be Sweet Sixteen or win games at the B12 Tournament?

Lets face it. Regular season championships (not the tournament championship) and how you do in the Big Dance are what matter.

This post was edited on 3/19 8:02 PM by OnceAhawk

Artistic interpretation of Cyclone season:

Pk3L2Ml.gif

I think this is better for ISU now than it was for Iowa in 2006. Obviously that was just the year everything lined up for The team with a favorable schedule and all those seniors. That was a one year wonder, where as ISU will certainly be top 20 next year and flirt with top 10 if Niang is back. I suppose if you get to the tournament every year, it's bound to happen sooner or later. Only really good teams end up getting upset in the tournament

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
I think this is better for ISU now than it was for Iowa in 2006. Obviously that was just the year everything lined up for The team with a favorable schedule and all those seniors. That was a one year wonder, where as ISU will certainly be top 20 next year and flirt with top 10 if Niang is back. I suppose if you get to the tournament every year, it's bound to happen sooner or later. Only really good teams end up getting upset in the tournament

If Niangs is back? Is he thinking of dropping out of school or transferring?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

to many closet clone fans on here giving the Warden a complete pass, if this had been Fran and IA you same poster would be ready to tar, feather and run him out of town in front of a crowd carrying pitch forks

Was Iowa's season in 2006 a success? Very similar seasons. Both had very good regular seasons, both won conference tournaments, and both lost as 3 seeds in the field of 64. I still have fond memories of the 2006 season. Success but disappointing.

Yes it was a successful season. Sucky ending. Very good draw and losing to one of the worst teams in tourney is no fun.

Iowa's 2006 choke job pissed me off more than any losing season. Especially after watching Davis win Every single first round game he coached. Hell, I was rooting for Alford to choke it away again today BECAUSE of 2006, that 9 year old scab still hasn't healed!

I'd be hugely, massively disappointed as an ISU fan. They finally were getting national respect and they laid a huge turd.

Originally posted by PHXIowaClub:
Was Iowa's season in 2006 a success? Very similar seasons. Both had very good regular seasons, both won conference tournaments, and both lost as 3 seeds in the field of 64. I still have fond memories of the 2006 season. Success but disappointing.
I guess I have a different view. Maybe it was because I was just in high school, but my lasting memory of that 2006 season is flaming out in the tourney. So of course the BTT championship was nice and I loved the seniors on that team, but I'll remember that season as good, but not really successful. JMO.

Well, spin the resume however they'd like, but 3 big 12 teams were bounced in the first 4 hours of the tournament.

ISU just wasn't as good as folks thought they were.

Defense carries a team further than people would like to admit.

I say yes, because the NCAA tournament is hard, one and done, all the teams are pretty good, and anything can happen.

I would, however, like to toot my own horn for a second, as I said multiple times on here that ISU wouldn't even come CLOSE to the final four.

Didn't think they would get bounced THAT fast though.
roll.r191677.gif

I will say that the year Iowa lost to Northwestern State is not a successful season to me. That was a good team that peed down their legs on the big stage. Same thing the Clones did today under identical circumstances. 2006 Hawkeye's are a what if team. Same with this years team. That Northwestern State loss was ridiculous and so was today's Clone loss.

Originally posted by Suterman:
I will say that the year Iowa lost to Northwestern State is not a successful season to me. That was a good team that peed down their legs on the big stage. Same thing the Clones did today under identical circumstances. 2006 Hawkeye's are a what if team. Same with this years team. That Northwestern State loss was ridiculous and so was today's Clone loss.
I don't thing there is any way ISU can say, "yep, we had a successful season" when you look at:

* They did not win the regular season conference championship;

* Conf tourneys are only to improve your seeding; ISU won their conf tourney, but really,who cares when its been all Kansas during the reg season for the last 11 years.

* The true measure of your season includes what you do in March, imo. And ISU was expected to make a run at the Elite 8, at minimum.

* When you lose to UAB in your opening round NCAA tournament game, that's unacceptable and the final dagger of defining whether your season was successful or not.

Regular season=Yes
Tourney=Nope
Pretty much sums it up. But I must say I may have never enjoyed a loss more than this one. With all the hype and self-proclomation from ISU this was just pure joygasm watching the season come crashing down.....

From 2006 Iowa's team what sticks out in your mind the most? The 2015 ISU team is very similar. Yes the conference tourney championships were nice, but people remember the upsets in the NCAA tourney.

Is it fair the season is remembered for one game? No, but that is how the 2 seasons are/will be remembered.

This post was edited on 3/20 5:38 AM by hawkcub

I think there are several standards being used here, and all of them are legitimate -- except for the obvious ISUphobes, of course.

What will we remember most about this season? Obviously, screwing the pooch against UAB. No question about it. But what do we remember most about the 2000 season? The Michigan State game in the Elite Eight, that's what. Cyclones won 32 games, including both the regular season and tournament titles in the conference. Was that a successful season? Uh, yeah, I think so. But the memory of that year is UNQUESTIONABLY the loss to Sparty.

The next year, ISU won the regular season conference again, but was upset by Hampton in the first round. Successful season? Again, yes. But Hampton is the first thing anybody thinks about when the 2001 season is mentioned.

How about Kansas this year? They won the regular season conference, got a #2 seed, lost the conference tournament. If they are eliminated early from the NCAA, would anybody call their season unsuccessful?

Hell, look at Kentucky this year. If they finish 39-1, will the Wildcats have had a successful season? Some on this board will say no, which proves some on this board are nuts.

I can only speak for myself. I was never among those who thought this ISU team was a world-beater. For heaven's sake, we lost two first-team all-conference players from last year, one of whom was the Player of the Year and the other was the best point guard in the league. We were picked fifth in the Big XII. Moreover, this team proved, over and over again, that it was capable of playing really good or really bad basketball. The losses to Maryland, South Carolina, Texas Tech and Kansas State should have removed any thoughts about this being a great basketball team. They were tremendous fun to watch and capable of beating anybody, but they also could stink up the joint.

Next year, I expect more from the team. We don't lose much and we have a couple of highly touted newbies ready to join the team. If we don't win the league next year and make an early NCAA exit, I will be open to saying the season is unsuccessful.

Finally, somebody talked about giving Fred a free pass on this one. I don't know anybody who's doing that.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:
I think there are several standards being used here, and all of them are legitimate -- except for the obvious ISUphobes, of course.

What will we remember most about this season? Obviously, screwing the pooch against UAB. No question about it. But what do we remember most about the 2000 season? The Michigan State game in the Elite Eight, that's what. Cyclones won 32 games, including both the regular season and tournament titles in the conference. Was that a successful season? Uh, yeah, I think so. But the memory of that year is UNQUESTIONABLY the loss to Sparty.

The next year, ISU won the regular season conference again, but was upset by Hampton in the first round. Successful season? Again, yes. But Hampton is the first thing anybody thinks about when the 2001 season is mentioned.

How about Kansas this year? They won the regular season conference, got a #2 seed, lost the conference tournament. If they are eliminated early from the NCAA, would anybody call their season unsuccessful?

Hell, look at Kentucky this year. If they finish 39-1, will the Wildcats have had a successful season? Some on this board will say no, which proves some on this board are nuts.

I can only speak for myself. I was never among those who thought this ISU team was a world-beater. For heaven's sake, we lost two first-team all-conference players from last year, one of whom was the Player of the Year and the other was the best point guard in the league. We were picked fifth in the Big XII. Moreover, this team proved, over and over again, that it was capable of playing really good or really bad basketball. The losses to Maryland, South Carolina, Texas Tech and Kansas State should have removed any thoughts about this being a great basketball team. They were tremendous fun to watch and capable of beating anybody, but they also could stink up the joint.

Next year, I expect more from the team. We don't lose much and we have a couple of highly touted newbies ready to join the team. If we don't win the league next year and make an early NCAA exit, I will be open to saying the season is unsuccessful.

Finally, somebody talked about giving Fred a free pass on this one. I don't know anybody who's doing that.
Win the league next year? You realize Kansas could (SHOULD) have all 5 starters back. This what was your year to win and you lost to Texas Tech. But go on being a Cubs fan! "Next year is our year"

If success is measured by whether you win your last game of the year, then most teams are utter failures

absolutely it was a success. But unfortunately for clone fans, all people will remember for this season is the loss to UAB.
That isnt specific for clone fans, thats how every fan base reacts. Everyone cares about March Madness. Same with Iowa against Northwestern St or whatever. Doesnt take away from how great the season was, but all that is done so the teams can position themselves for march.

It's all in the context of the individual defining what success means for them? For the team, their goals pre-season. For the fan, their desires pre-season.

Non-fans can look at it from different aspects that fans and the team looks at it. We can tear apart the components to a season.

I'm betting there's a lot of teeth-gnashing going on at the basketball offices. Stunned, disappointed - and they themselves don't know what to rubber stamp this year as yet because of the shock involved with the abrupt ending. But I guarantee you, they had visions of final 4 going on, so they are probably still sorting out what they will take from the overall season. Stunned is probably the prevailing wind at this point. They're still in shock.

I consider both seasons successful...Iowa in 2006 and ISU this year...4.5 months of fun excellent play cannot be wiped out in 40 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT