ADVERTISEMENT

So, just went to Hy Vee...

bagdropper

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2002
Wilson Avenue, CR. One of those fringe Hy Vees bordering on one of the poorer sections of town, but also 5 minutes away from one of the newer, more well to do parts. Most times you see a good mashup of people, some decent MILF's on Saturday mornings, with a bunch of Kirkwood gals thrown in year round.

Today, I have never seen such a conglomeration of poor white trash at that HV in 15 years of shopping there. It was quite stunning - my buddy home from northern MN asked me, is it always like this? We've been here before, and it's never been like this before. I agreed...

The lowlights...

1) there were 3 women, all fugly as can be, that both looked like they just woke up, and effectively were topless. One woman looked like she was wearing a braless see-through negligee top from say 1984. The other two were wearing wifebeater type tops who had no business whatsoever going braless.

My eyes will forever be scorched...THAT bad. The said negligee gal was two people ahead of me in my line...and when I got to where it was my time, I noticed the college age gal was chuckling (she's been there for a couple years and we chat it up, she knows me - beautiful, sweet gal). I say to her, "that was...interesting". She replies "it's been like that all morning", still shaking her head with a WTF look on her face. My buddy goes to her, "do you sell those airline barf bags, cause I need one."

2) there were a whole lotta angry shoppers there. Because of what, no clue, for the checkout lines were doing fine and it wasn't that busy at all. Couples shouting at each other in the aisle, nobody knowing really how to push a cart when others were in the same aisle. One guy was pissed off that he couldn't use a coupon for bottled water for one specific brand for the brand he wanted to buy, and a 5 minute argument ensued with the checkout gal, the floor manager, etc.

But the one that still makes my head spin was when I left and pulled out of my parking space (which was pretty close to the front doors), there was a vehicle in front of me waiting for the crosswalk to empty - so I was stuck waiting for both to clear.

An old "I don't have my dentures in" looking lady in a broken down Impala was behind me and apparently wanted my parking space. I had nowhere to go. Eventually the traffic in front of me cleared in about 60 seconds - but the old lady, after parking and after I looped around to exit, walked IN FRONT OF MY CAR to bitch to me about blocking her spot.

3) I was there roughly 20 minutes. Holidays at Hy Vee, usually the entire store is on sale aggressively, so I like to peruse every aisle. When I first started shopping, I noticed (because of a thread earlier this week about this very type of cell phone talker) a young woman talking on her cell phone Star Trek Communicator style, looked like she just got there, empty cart. Effectively shouting, phone turned up all the way. You could hear the conversation a good half aisle length away.

When I pulled up to get in line, I saw her again. Still talking on the phone, about halfway through the store.

Cart still empty.

Just a weird time overall...note to self, don't grocery shop on the 4th.

Probably some of the Walmart crowd that's scared to go there now with the two shootings in the parking lots. I went to the fireworks and ski show last night at Ellis and it was just as bad.

Been to a couple Iowa cubs games this year and some of the masses are so jacked up I feel society is doomed. There is no hope for so many people, no amount of programs is going to help these people.

Just pay them to not work and shut down the government programs because these people are like the missing link. Genetically they are on some trangent where productive member of society is impossible.

Reactions: SalAunese
I had a similar experience at Mason City HyVee west on Saturday AM. Just seems like it's just nothing left in these towns but people collecting a check or unskilled laborer types.

Reactions: Foxclone
I had a similar experience at Mason City HyVee west on Saturday AM. Just seems like it's just nothing left in these towns but people collecting a check or unskilled laborer types.
Never had any problem there. Usually the poors are down the road a half mile at Wal-Mart. I will say we do 90% of our grocery shopping at Target and just get meat at HyVee so I'm not there much.

Wilson Avenue, CR. One of those fringe Hy Vees bordering on one of the poorer sections of town, but also 5 minutes away from one of the newer, more well to do parts. Most times you see a good mashup of people, some decent MILF's on Saturday mornings, with a bunch of Kirkwood gals thrown in year round.

Today, I have never seen such a conglomeration of poor white trash at that HV in 15 years of shopping there. It was quite stunning - my buddy home from northern MN asked me, is it always like this? We've been here before, and it's never been like this before. I agreed...

The lowlights...

1) there were 3 women, all fugly as can be, that both looked like they just woke up, and effectively were topless. One woman looked like she was wearing a braless see-through negligee top from say 1984. The other two were wearing wifebeater type tops who had no business whatsoever going braless.

My eyes will forever be scorched...THAT bad. The said negligee gal was two people ahead of me in my line...and when I got to where it was my time, I noticed the college age gal was chuckling (she's been there for a couple years and we chat it up, she knows me - beautiful, sweet gal). I say to her, "that was...interesting". She replies "it's been like that all morning", still shaking her head with a WTF look on her face. My buddy goes to her, "do you sell those airline barf bags, cause I need one."

2) there were a whole lotta angry shoppers there. Because of what, no clue, for the checkout lines were doing fine and it wasn't that busy at all. Couples shouting at each other in the aisle, nobody knowing really how to push a cart when others were in the same aisle. One guy was pissed off that he couldn't use a coupon for bottled water for one specific brand for the brand he wanted to buy, and a 5 minute argument ensued with the checkout gal, the floor manager, etc.

But the one that still makes my head spin was when I left and pulled out of my parking space (which was pretty close to the front doors), there was a vehicle in front of me waiting for the crosswalk to empty - so I was stuck waiting for both to clear.

An old "I don't have my dentures in" looking lady in a broken down Impala was behind me and apparently wanted my parking space. I had nowhere to go. Eventually the traffic in front of me cleared in about 60 seconds - but the old lady, after parking and after I looped around to exit, walked IN FRONT OF MY CAR to bitch to me about blocking her spot.

3) I was there roughly 20 minutes. Holidays at Hy Vee, usually the entire store is on sale aggressively, so I like to peruse every aisle. When I first started shopping, I noticed (because of a thread earlier this week about this very type of cell phone talker) a young woman talking on her cell phone Star Trek Communicator style, looked like she just got there, empty cart. Effectively shouting, phone turned up all the way. You could hear the conversation a good half aisle length away.

When I pulled up to get in line, I saw her again. Still talking on the phone, about halfway through the store.

Cart still empty.

We shop there a lot because it's the closest Hy-Vee to our house. Sometimes I'll take the extra 15 minutes and go to Edgewood Road, not just because of the clientele but because the Wilson Avenue store doesn't stock nearly as much stuff.

We shop there a lot because it's the closest Hy-Vee to our house. Sometimes I'll take the extra 15 minutes and go to Edgewood Road, not just because of the clientele but because the Wilson Avenue store doesn't stock nearly as much stuff.

Yes, it is a smaller one for sure. But for the most part, it does the job very well. I use it for convenience, not bulk. When bulk is desired, I go to the Killer WM on Saturday mornings before the great unwashed hits it in force.

HV's smoked pork ribs there, usually on weekends and holidays they put it around 10am...and it can be quite a good deal, a whole rack for $10 that for grocery store ribs is pretty good. I buy it early, then let it cool and fridge it - then re-heat low and slow in the oven.

I was just struck at how angry the customers were for no good "common reason pertaining to the store itself". It's like every angry person on the SW side just decided hey, I'm going to that Hy Vee.

Thanks for this post Bagdropper.

Mrs. Herk and I often grab a fast food sandwich and find a front row parking spot at Walmart to watch the show. Sounds like tonight might be good.

Is it a full moon?

Well Cloney I guess you're between a rock and a hard spot. Shot at Walmart or stabbed at HyVee.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...owing-cedar-rapids-wal-mart-shooting-20170703

or

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28863052/2015/04/Tuesday/developing-marion-police-out-in-force-at-hy-vee

I guess that's why I only could live in CR for a couple years, then had to get back to the IC area despite all the hippies, homos and faux intellectuals. Too many Menace Suckeyes type there. CR is a white trash town.

Reactions: NBARange
Well Cloney I guess you're between a rock and a hard spot. Shot at Walmart or stabbed at HyVee.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...owing-cedar-rapids-wal-mart-shooting-20170703

or

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28863052/2015/04/Tuesday/developing-marion-police-out-in-force-at-hy-vee

I guess that's why I only could live in CR for a couple years, then had to get back to the IC area despite all the hippies, homos and faux intellectuals. Too many Menace Suckeyes type there. CR is a white trash town.
Hippies, homos, and real intellectuals scare you that much?

or

When will you be leaving Iowa City?

Clientele is far better at Edgewood rd Hy-Vee than Oakland rd. Haven't been to any others in recent years; maybe Collins rd but nothing strikes a memory chord.

Thanks for this post Bagdropper.

Mrs. Herk and I often grab a fast food sandwich and find a front row parking spot at Walmart to watch the show. Sounds like tonight might be good.

Is it a full moon?
You and the wife really drive to Walmart to people watch?

Reactions: Herkmeister
You and the wife really drive to Walmart to people watch?

Natty, I kid you not, she just walked into my office and asked what we're gonna do for dinner. I said, "Let's go grab a taco and watch people at Walmart."

Mrs. Herk's response: Ohhhhhhhh, that's a great idea!!

Hot weather and holidays - Tonight's gonna be a good night!!! Oh tonight's gonna be a good good night.

FYI - We met in 1975 and we did that at a low life grocery back in the day. It's not a new deal for us.

I prefer groceries at Target over Hy Vee, not really sure why
051b03f18be3dd8820132675b14fc1e168219b-wm.jpg

tumblr_mkf0sbqIX21rim8fvo1_500.jpg

df31c64f4d48e5c958ef0cd633cfe24e.jpg

tumblr_ltz95wFSfs1qfebaro1_500.jpg

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Natty, I kid you not, she just walked into my office and asked what we're gonna do for dinner. I said, "Let's go grab a taco and watch people at Walmart."

Mrs. Herk's response: Ohhhhhhhh, that's a great idea!!

Hot weather and holidays - Tonight's gonna be a good night!!! Oh tonight's gonna be a good good night.

FYI - We met in 1975 and we did that at a low life grocery back in the day. It's not a new deal for us.
You and the lady make a good team.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I like the Chinese food at the Wilson Ave Hy-Vee, much better than the Johnson Ave Hy-Vee's.

I took my daughter and a friend of hers to the Cherry Hill pool today. That was interesting.

I like the Chinese food at the Wilson Ave Hy-Vee, much better than the Johnson Ave Hy-Vee's.

I took my daughter and a friend of hers to the Cherry Hill pool today. That was interesting.
I've gotten to know the Chinese food manager at the Edgewood Hyvee and quite often get extras. Not that it's great food, but not bad and you can't beat the price of 'free.'

I prefer groceries at Target over Hy Vee, not really sure why
tumblr_ltz95wFSfs1qfebaro1_500.jpg

Not calling you or your source out but this is clearly a Macy's. Target does not have make up counters with high top chairs. Plus come on n00b...look at the shopping bag.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Going to hy vee on a holiday?

I was out of town the 3 days prior, needed some (not a lot) of groceries and my buddy wanted to peruse the booze (he lives in a small town in far northern MN - pickings aside from beer are slim), and it's a 5 minute two turn drive. We were going boating later in the day...so one stop, crank everything out kind of thing.

I try to do all my shopping Saturday mornings in CR. Less crazies.

The poors will find you on the 4th of July. I've never seen so many poors in one place and I've been to the OP's mom's house.

I've gotten to know the Chinese food manager at the Edgewood Hyvee and quite often get extras. Not that it's great food, but not bad and you can't beat the price of 'free.'

I give HyVee Chinese Egg Rolls an A+. And that pineapple pork when fresh is damn good!!!!

Reactions: mstp1992

We were at the same Hy Vee in Mason, Sat. afternoon. The crowd was mixed. The prices were high. Should have gone to Aldi's.

Hy-Vee Chinese food can be very good if you get there when it's just been cooked.

The lowlights...

Cart still empty.

Wal Mart must have been closed your talking about Walmartians.

That is where I shop my fav grocery store.I wear camo though so you wont know me.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT