ADVERTISEMENT

So Nebraska is already good

So Nebraska abilities is on an up swing and Iowas isnt nothing completely new. Fear of change can do this.
I don't know if it's fear of change. It's not like Fran's teams haven't had success outside of the Tournament.

And we're in year......
If anything, this is an example of why patience sometimes pays off. The only reason Hoiberg even kept his job a couple of years ago was because they spent too much money on football buyouts for them to feel like they could afford to make a change. There isn't another high major program in the country that keeps a guy who goes 24-67 through 3 years. Even last year his seat was very hot until he went 5-2 the last month of the season.
I'll give him credit, I've watched Nebraska enough for me to think this isn't just a fluke thing this year. Mast is a really good addition for them. Brice Williams is maybe the best transfer in the conference that no one is talking about. Tominaga obviously is a flamethrower when he gets going.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
And we're in year......
Would you care to compare Fran’s first 5 years at Iowa VS Hoiberg’s at Nebraska? Didn’t think so. I’m not even a Fran defender at this point, it’s time to move on, but some of you have detached from reality by acting like Iow a has been piss poor this entire time. Iowa has been on pretty solid footing for quite some time, tournament success aside.

Geez, slow down people. Nice win for Nebby last night, where they are good at home and shot lights out, but they are 13-3 with a lot to play. 11 of their 13 wins are at home, with a neutral court win against a very blah Oregon St team. Beating MSU at home is meh. Same with Indiana. They lost by 30 to Creighton and worse to Wisky on the road than we did. There team looks very meh on the road, but good at home. Long way to go.

And have been “good” in many Fran years.

Cheery pick much?
In year 5 Fran finished 3rd in the big ten and made it to the second round in the ncaa tournament. So yeah I would slow down on thinking Nebraska is doing something Fran never did jeepers. Understandable to get fatigue on coaching staff. I am much more impressed with what Iowa States new coach has done but clones have always done decent in basketball.

Looks like Nebber may finally be adding to their impressive tally of all-time NCAA tourney wins this year. Gosh, it seems like it’s been forever since they’ve won one.

• Haha
Reactions: CyberJJ
Lot of pretty good teams in the B1G, but there will be a lot of ups and downs for most of them. Minny is the surprise to me. I thought they were certain to be near the bottom, and maybe they still might be?

Lot of pretty good teams in the B1G, but there will be a lot of ups and downs for most of them. Minny is the surprise to me. I thought they were certain to be near the bottom, and maybe they still might be?
If I were doing a Big Ten tiers today:

1: Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin
2: Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St, Michigan St
3. Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana
4. Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, Michigan

Though of course that is all very fluid and the teams in tiers 2-4 could all lose to any team on any given night. It's quite possible that there isn't much separation between tier 3 and 4 too and that all of these teams should just be labeled "bad".

And have been “good” in many Fran years.

Cheery pick much?
I'm sorry are you saying he coached good teams?
Now I'll say we have had good players but I don't think any of his teams have gone deep in tourny play. Which at the end is all that truly matters.

Already? This is year 5 for Hoiberg.
Yep, I'd say "It's about time", not "Already".

As for the Fran comments above.. Fran got the program back on its feet pretty quickly here. He took Lickliter's mess and got us to the NIT in year 2, and the NCAA in years 4 (First Four) and 5. Hoiberg is in no way outpacing what Fran did here. I too have been done defending Fran for a while, but I've got to stick up for him on this point.

Nebraska game is a big one for the Hawks. I haven't watched them play more than a few minutes, but you can't the Japanese kid get on a roll. Need to attack him on the other end. I see Patrick is out again:) Edit, well maybe.

Most of you guys would have fired Hoiberg two years ago. Now he's a genius again.
No he’s still not. They were the worst Power 5 team over the last few years until now where he’s finally gotten them respectable.

If I were doing a Big Ten tiers today:

1: Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin
2: Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St, Michigan St
3. Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana
4. Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, Michigan

Though of course that is all very fluid and the teams in tiers 2-4 could all lose to any team on any given night. It's quite possible that there isn't much separation between tier 3 and 4 too and that all of these teams should just be labeled "bad".
I understand you said as of today but I’d still bet we finish ahead of Nebraska by season’s end.

I understand you said as of today but I’d still bet we finish ahead of Nebraska by season’s end.
I'd probably bump Iowa up to tier 2 after last night's performance.

Nebraska seems exactly like Maryland was last season--just a completely different team when playing at home vs on the road. Luckily we don't play them on the road this year though.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT