ADVERTISEMENT

So you have 1st and goal at the 1….

WWDMHawkeye

HB Heisman
Nov 13, 2014
Seems to me that you just run QB sneaks until you punch it in. If you can’t move the ball 36 inches on up to 4 consecutive QB sneaks, you don’t belong on the field in the first place, IMO.

You could make a good argument for doing the same with 1st and goal from the 3.

Agree with the many who say this is where we lost the game. Considering how unimaginative our offensive scheme has been under KF, it’s mind-boggling that we suddenly get cute and creative in the one situation where we should have been challenging the big uglies up front and just pounding it down their throats.

Even more nonsensical, IMO, is why do you have the ball two times inside the 5 in the first half, but take out your best offensive weapon on first down - or more - in both of those possessions?

Even if you go with the plan of running the QB sneak 4 times from the 1yd line, you have to put the threat of KJ out there to keep the ISU defense guessing.

We snuck one time for 3 yards yesterday.
After he was stuffed, got pushed by his backs. Cade literally cannot run the sneak or is afraid to. That's a problem. The real issue was personnel. Iowa getting cute with a "12" package I believe and Moulton as the back. I'm in "22" personnel every single time there in "I" formation with KJ and a fullback.

After he was stuffed, got pushed by his backs. Cade literally cannot run the sneak or is afraid to. That's a problem. The real issue was personnel. Iowa getting cute with a "12" package I believe and Moulton as the back. I'm in "22" personnel every single time there in "I" formation with KJ and a fullback.
I've litetally been saying this for years. I hate running out of the shotgun in short to go situations.

It’s why it’s a perfect chance to bring in Sullivan. Can do that, rollout and find levels, or take it in for a run around the edge. Sullivan stands 6’4 220 & has more than enough big game experience.

Pick it up and put your Cade back in if so inclined, but at least the defense has to think with the change.

Seems to me that you just run QB sneaks until you punch it in. If you can’t move the ball 36 inches on up to 4 consecutive QB sneaks, you don’t belong on the field in the first place, IMO.

You could make a good argument for doing the same with 1st and goal from the 3.

Agree with the many who say this is where we lost the game. Considering how unimaginative our offensive scheme has been under KF, it’s mind-boggling that we suddenly get cute and creative in the one situation where we should have been challenging the big uglies up front and just pounding it down their throats.
We also didn’t have Kaleb Johnson in, which is a incredible oversight.

You go '85 Bears and put Hayden Large under center and have him sneak it as many times as it takes. Pretty damn simple. What you do NOT do is hand it off to a RB standing six yards behind the LOS so he can be thrown for a big loss. The stupidity in the Iowa offense has one common denominator, and it's initials are Kirk Ferentz. You figure it out.

It’s why it’s a perfect chance to bring in Sullivan. Can do that, rollout and find levels, or take it in for a run around the edge. Sullivan stands 6’4 220 & has more than enough big game experience.

Pick it up and put your Cade back in if so inclined, but at least the defense has to think with the change.
No imagination on offense with all of our players. I’ve never understood if you have 85 players on the team why the coaches aren’t trying to utilize each one in a specific manner if they fill that need or package you want to put out on the field. Like you said, make the D think or have to burn a timeout when they see something completely different.

Love KF but it’s time for new leadership after watching yet another game lost due to his terrible in game decisions. After 25 years as a head coach, he got out coached by a first season OC at ISU and Matt Campbell.

Reactions: DewHawk and kwik44
I thought they were lucky the refs didn’t blow it dead. Looked like his progress was stopped.

Reactions: HawkeyeGenius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT