ADVERTISEMENT

Some coaching moves

vhsalum

HR MVP
Nov 14, 2002
Gonna be a big week of coaching moves

Brewer to Princeton
Dubuque will also be filling the other 2 coaching positions (Humphrey going back to RTC, Monday full time training)
Zach Tanelli to VT (assistant)

So very likely a lot (or all) of the Buffalo assistants shift their application to Columbia

Adam Hall still has to hire his assistants at UVU

CMU - no one knows what's going on, but Bennett is the favorite right now.

Wisconsin is giving Bono another year, but it's not a hard line or anything. A weird situation that they reached out to Askren for his advice... then didn't take it.

the wisconsin thing is such a head scratcher. even stevie wonder could see they are a sleeping giant with an askren leading the program but they are content to be a middling big ten program under bono. i am cool with it for iowa’s sake but it’s just strange.

Last edited:
the wisconsin thing is such a head scratcher. even stevie wonder could see they are a sleeping giant with an askren leading the program but they are content to be a middling big ten program under bono. i am cool with it for iowa’s sake but it’s just strange.

yeah. i don't get it. The AD requested the meeting knowing exactly what "change" needed to be made... but then didn't?

Weird.

Reactions: eb05 and wahlberg
yeah. i don't get it. The AD requested the meeting knowing exactly what "change" needed to be made... but then didn't?

Weird.
Can't imagine the program operates in the black.

Why increase expenses?

Maybe…and this would be a total shocker to everyone…he was less than impressive during the “interview.”
I'm not sure everyone understands that being a head coach of a D-1 team, especially in the Big Ten, requires 100% attention on the program. Not, among other things, also running a wrestling club. Maybe Askren wanted to do both and the AD said no?

• Haha
Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
bono got a nice chunk of change. $250k a year is what they announced when he came from sdsu but he has since signed an extension so maybe it’s more now. i don’t think it would take a big increase for either of the askrens.

What was Askren's advice?
Fire Bozo

I'm not sure everyone understands that being a head coach of a D-1 team, especially in the Big Ten, requires 100% attention on the program. Not, among other things, also running a wrestling club. Maybe Askren wanted to do both and the AD said no?

Come on man. That's against NCAA rules that would never be the suggestion.

Fire Bozo

Come on man. That's against NCAA rules that would never be the suggestion.
Ever hear of plausible deniability? It's funny that you don't think you could take your name off of something and still be pulling the strings. 3...2...1... And by the way, I did say "among other things." Maybe the AD saw through that?

here’s the thing, if one of them took the wisconsin job then awa would just be ran by the other and the other coaches they have. it’s not like it would cease to exist. heck they could even add a madison location again and have mocco run it…

Ever hear of plausible deniability? It's funny that you don't think you could take your name off of something and still be pulling the strings. 3...2...1... And by the way, I did say "among other things." Maybe the AD saw through that?

No.
And hire who? Wouldn't think they'd need Ben's advice on firing Bono. Everyone can see that needs to be done. I'd assume they were talking to Ben about more than that. Thought maybe you had some insight.
Hire Max.

How would that not be a conflict of interest AND a violation of NCAA rules regarding recruiting?

It would be - that is why I commented that if the AD thought that might be a possibilty he nixed anything.
No. stop saying this out loud. NO ONE would say this to an NCAA AD and certainly not Ben Askren.

*edit to add: Askren was once an on-staff assistant. He's very well aware of NCAA rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
No. stop saying this out loud. NO ONE would say this to an NCAA AD and certainly not Ben Askren.

*edit to add: Askren was once an on-staff assistant. He's very well aware of NCAA rules.
Find where I said he actually said that to the AD? All along I said that the AD may have been able to decipher what someone may want to try and do. One way or another. You can learn something about someone without them having to speak a word. I swear to God sometimes you think all people in positions of authority are idiots.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Find where I said he actually said that to the AD? All along I said that the AD may have been able to decipher what someone may want to try and do. One way or another. You can learn something about someone without them having to speak a word. I swear to God sometimes you think all people in positions of authority are idiots.

And you clearly think Askren is an idiot. he's not. And i've already given you the answer.

The meeting for Max to take over. But they don't have the money to buy out Bono's contract this year. They will raise the money and he's out. Then Max takes over.

And you clearly think Askren is an idiot. he's not. And i've already given you the answer.

The meeting for Max to take over. But they don't have the money to buy out Bono's contract this year. They will raise the money and he's out. Then Max takes over.
do we see any Aksren kids commit to UW with this expectation in mind? very interesting.

Reactions: el dub

No - I clearly think some people try to skirt rules. Some people think they won't ever get caught. You think Askren is above it. You also tried to claim I said something when I didn't. You gave me your answer. It doesn't mean it's automatically the right one.

• Haha
No - I clearly think some people try to skirt rules. Some people think they won't ever get caught. You think Askren is above it. You also tried to claim I said something when I didn't. You gave me your answer. It doesn't mean it's automatically the right one.

And you coming up with some clandestine plan for Askren to walk into the Wisconsin AD office and try to poker face his way into being the HC of Wisconsin AND AWA is some YA novel bullshizz. Cut it out.

Reactions: el dub and js8793
And you coming up with some clandestine plan for Askren to walk into the Wisconsin AD office and try to poker face his way into being the HC of Wisconsin AND AWA is some YA novel bullshizz. Cut it out.
WTF are you even talking about? Give it a rest. And some think MSU can't help himself.

stan marsh kyle GIF by South Park

Payback for you starting Windowgate™️ on here. 😁😁

Full disclosure, I was surprised to see the contract extension. I had heard similar rumors that he may be gone soon....
After seeing renderings of their new wrestling facility, I was thinking it had to be an ISU insider starting Windowgate.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT