ADVERTISEMENT

Someone called Saturday's men's win the greatest Iowa Bball game ever; what say you?

Here's a good chance to review all of them. I actually went back and updated the video since 24 hours after I uploaded the original, Iowa had one of the best comebacks in history.

I would put the win over Georgetown at the top since it got them to the Final Four.
I would put the first game after Street's death on the road at Mich St up there in the 2 hole. They were absolutely out of it.

The comeback at Illinois, first home game against Mich after Street's death, and this one are all in the conversation.

Edit: The Gamble Shot game is another one.

Reactions: TailgateTom
If it were an NCAA tourney game, I think it would go down as best ever. Imagine that happening in a prime time slot on national TV in the tourney. It would be the talk of the tournament and would be talked about every year thereafter on TV discussing tourney comebacks.
Northwestern State says hello.

That game was back and forth the whole second half. No one came back from down 13 in 90 seconds. It didn't go to overtime.

It has zero relevance so I have no idea why you felt the need to post about it. There are lots and lots of buzzer beating game winners a year. Coming back from down 13 in a minute in a half has happened twice in recorded history in men's college basketball. It was a very special ending.

Well that was bad Iowa coaching that led that lead slip away. Alford didnt have his team ready to run backdoor plays with a really big lead and only 5 minutes to go. Make your opponent pay for having to overplay you.

There was a lot more time left in that game than in last saturday's game

That game was back and forth the whole second half. No one came back from down 13 in 90 seconds. It didn't go to overtime.

It has zero relevance so I have no idea why you felt the need to post about it. There are lots and lots of buzzer beating game winners a year. Coming back from down 13 in a minute in a half has happened twice in recorded history in men's college basketball. It was a very special ending.
Hawks were up 17 with 8 minutes left. That was quite a comeback for a 14-seed over a 3-seed. It still stings. Hardly zero relevance, considering the scenario you posed.

For anyone interested here is a replay

Humorously enough for all the talk of how long the last minute of a modern game takes, it took about 7 minutes to complete the last 15 seconds of this one.
Game was sure different without a shot clock or 3-pt shot. Iowa's efficiency in the second half of this game was incredible. Too lazy to look it up, but they scored on something like 90% of their possessions in the second half. Definitely the most exciting game for me, just because it took Iowa to the final four, when they were an underdog throughout the dance. FYI, for those maybe seeing Ronnie Lester for the first time and thinking "what is the hype about?", he was playing on at maybe 70% on one and a half legs.

My order of games that I watched would be...

1) Georgetown
2) Oklahoma NCAA
3) Indiana in 87
4)MSU #40
5)Michigan #40
6)UCONN Alaska
7)Kansas (McCausland game)
8)UCONN Alfraud
9)Wisconsin JBo
10)MSU 2023

edited to add KU(forgot about that game until reading bishop1971's post)

Last edited:
I am old, so Indiana 1981 is a great Hawkeye win for me. Hawks beat their ass and Isayer Thomas took a cheap shot at Steve Krafcisin.

When Iowa defeated Georgetown to go to the final four.

Note for the youngsters- Iowa vs,Purdue was the last time NCAA held a consolation game.
You are close. 1981 was the last year. Hell they used to have consolation games in the regionals.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I’d also have to put the Indiana hamburger game in there as well. I recall it was right after a blizzard, so lots of empty seats in the old Fieldhouse, and we were just killing IU, up by almost 30 on the Hoosiers at one point

Lester is at the free throw line late in the game, and—remembering how Knight had run up the score to get Hoosier fans a free promotional hamburger the prior year—an Iowa fan yells out “How bout a hamburger,
Bobby??”, during the silence while Ronnie is waiting to shoot the FT

The place goes absolutely APESHIT. Lester cracks up and has to back of the FT line to compose himself. It was magnificent

(I hope I’m remembering this all correctly—it WAS over 40 years ago!)

Hawks were up 17 with 8 minutes left. That was quite a comeback for a 14-seed over a 3-seed. It still stings. Hardly zero relevance, considering the scenario you posed.
Coming back from down 17 with 8 minutes to play happens all the time. Coming back down 13 with 1 1/2 minutes does not.

Apples to oranges.

The Hamburger game at IU was in 1975, 102-49 iirc. Iowa’s 30 point drubbing of IU at the old field house came in ‘78 or ‘79, not the following season.

Being an Illini hater having grown up near Chicago, my vote for greatest Iowa come back was at Illinois in ‘87.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
This was on another forum that I mainly just look at. He didnt say greatest comeback but greatest game. He might have been trolling or looking for clicks but a couple of other people agreed.

I said hogwash as did some other fans. My choices for best game are two that I listened to or saw 1) Iowa's 1965 upset of #1 UCLA in Chicago, UCLA reigning NCAA champs, winners of 43 of 44 games heading into the game with Iowa, UCLA would win the rest of their games after this loss and win Wooden's 2nd Ncaa title that spring.

2) Iowa's 1970 late season game at Purdue, a needed win to probably finish 14-0 in the Big, win the title and be the only team to go to the Ncaas from the Big. Final score Iowa wins 108-107 with big late comeback in the days of no shot clock, no 3 point bucket, and no 2 pt free throw bonus (harder to comeback). Rick Mount scored 61 pts for PU but the hawks had 4 stars score 20+.

Saturday's game was a great comeback late against a very hot team that is maybe just a little better than average. MSU can be tough if they shoot well.

What are your best ever hawk men's bball games?

That game isn’t even in the top 100. Great finish, yes. But a regular season game against a middling conference opponent where you are down double digits with less than a minute to go was clearly not even a good game.

The 1970 Purdue game and the 1980 Georgetown game are definitely top two. 1970 was exciting as heck, and I remember nervously listening to each game on the radio. It was particularly fun because Freddy Brown was just one year out from playing Juco ball in Burlington, where I watched every one of his home games. Had Iowa pulled out the Jacksonville game, that would probably be the greatest win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT