ADVERTISEMENT

Sooners looking to move out of Norman?

EagleHawk

HR All-American
Jan 16, 2002
Stop the simulation, I want off. How dumb do you have to be to want to move your athletic complex off campus/out of town?

In his Evans Hall office, Harroz told OU Daily that if Norman City Council does not approve the proposed $1 billion entertainment district that would feature a new arena for OU athletics, then the university, alongside donors, would look to other cities to build an arena for which its basketball and women’s gymnastics teams would be anchor tenants and possibly the entertainment district as a whole.

Do they not have a Board of Trustees? Do they not have State oversight? WTF. Defund the University if they go down that route.

Reactions: lucas80
Terrible idea to move away.
Ask the gophers how football went once they loved to the Metrodome away from Dinky town.

We are still in a period of Easy Money ... And OU is still sitting close to the top of the college athletics world. He is correct to be pushing hard.

Two more years and it might be too late. His window could close.

With NIL and the portal, college athletics is rapidly untethering itself from the various universities in the land. These associations will be in name only in the intermediate future.

If there is an ideal location away from campus with political support .... go for it!

Last edited:
I’m not sure why people are that up in arms. There have been numerous discussions here over the years on some dumb position the Iowa City city council has taken. If the university wanted a new basketball stadium and IC council was opposed due to the additional shadows the district would generate, should the council not consider Coralville, etc.?

I don't understand all of the uproar. Lots of universities play games away from campus. Miami played off campus in the Orange Bowl and now whatever they're calling the stadium in Miami Gardens. UCLA plays football in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Heck, even FSU plays basketball off campus at the TLCC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT