ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry for another thread about streaming, but I have some questions

HawkFan59

HB Heisman
Nov 15, 2007
Norwalk, Ia
I know that there has been numerous threads about streaming services over the last few years, but I have a few questions about the services, internet providers, and modems. I have held off on switching to fully streaming until now. I had stayed with Mediacom internet and cable because I wouldn't have saved anything by going to YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, or fuboTV. I am now ready to drop Mediacom.

I know that this is kind of long, but I thought that some might find next few paragraphs interesting. If you want to just see what my questions are, skip to the last three paragraphs.

For 3 or 4 years I was able to get 100 Mbps internet with cable for around $120.00 plus tax by threatening to drop Mediacom for my cable service and switch to streaming. They would send me to the retention department, who would give me the best deal since I had been with them since 1999. Last year Mediacom's best deal was $140.00 plus tax. I complained about that price and they gave me Showtime and Starz free for 6 months.

This year when I called, they said that their last good deal had just expired, and that they are not offering any deals at this time. So, I would have to pay the full price of $224.90 per month for 100Mbps internet and the standard cable package(with no pay channels). I again threatened to drop them for streaming. So, they sent me too the retention department again. The retention department said that they could not give me a better deal, except for a one time $20.00 credit for next months bill. Like last year they recommended that I go to the Affordable connectivity program online and apply to get a $30.00 credit from them towards my cable bill. I tried that last year and didn't qualify. I haven't tried again yet this year, but that would still only get me to around $199.00 Per month.

When I told the agent that was not good enough, he says, "Have you ever thought about going to streaming for your TV service." Lol. Yes, I have been threatening to drop cable and go to streaming for a few years. So, now Mediacom is telling people to drop cable to lower their bill. The agent admitted that they have had to raise prices because of all of the people leaving for streaming and because their costs are going up for the products that they offer. I said to him that soon they were going to only be an internet provider for residential customers because people wouldn't pay these prices, but then they will just raise their prices on providing internet. He then just gives me the price for internet only(which is higher than it was last year).

So, now to the main reason for my post. The top three services for replacing cable with a similar type of streaming service with most of the channels offered on cable seems to be the three services that I listed above. Of course, sports channels are very important to me (college sports, NFL, NBA, Olympics). I think that YouTube TV is the service that I will go with. That seems to be what most of you have settled on. I tried a 3 month trial a couple of years ago, but NBC local was not offered at that time. Is it true that the local ABC, CBS, and NBC channels are all now offered by YouTube TV in the Des Moines area?

Do most of you in central Iowa have Mediacom for your internet service? It looks like Mediacom, CenturyLink, T Mobile Home Internet, Viasat, HughesNet, and Kinetic by Windstream are what is available in Norwalk. Have any of you tried these services? I had heard one or two other companies mentioned on here before, but I can't remember what they were. They may not be available in Norwalk at this time, but I would keep them in mind if they become available.

As far as modems are concerned. I used to buy my own modems, but went back to renting my modem/router from Mediacom so that they could service them if I had problems. I was quoted Mediacom Internet Service at $89.99 per month(I believe that was just for 100Mbps) and another $10.00 to rent their modem/router. So, $100.00 plus tax per month. Is 100Mbps enough for one TV, an iPad, an iPhone, and one computer? I watch a lot of TV and I use my iPhone or iPad at the same time. I have an older Apple AirPort Time Capsule(I also use for backing up my Mac computer because it has 2TB memory) for my router right now. Are there modems or combination modem/routers that people recommend? I don't need the most expensive top of the line modem or modem router, but a reliable one. And, my current residence is not a lot of square feet.

Thank you for any suggestions that you might have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News