ADVERTISEMENT

In Trump’s orbit, some muse about mandatory military service

Kyra Rousseau remembers feeling trapped in her high school media center last fall when a phalanx of military personnel and faculty members shut the doors behind her and about 100 classmates before gathering everyone’s phone.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

Rousseau, 18, was a senior here at Liberty-Eylau High School. The service members were recruiters. She recalled asking to leave but being told to sit down — that her graduation hinged on completion of a military aptitude test.

“They tricked us,” Rousseau said. “They said ‘ASVAB,’ but they didn’t say what the ASVAB was.”
It stands for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a standardized test developed by the Defense Department decades ago to help the military funnel recruits into occupations that match their skills and intellect. And if Donald Trump’s last defense secretary could have his way, all public high school students would be required to take it.

Christopher Miller, who led the Pentagon during the chaotic closure of Trump’s tenure in Washington, detailed his vision for the ASVAB and a range of other changes as part of Project 2025, the conservative Heritage Foundation’s government-wide game plan should the presumptive Republican nominee return to the White House. Miller is among a cluster of influential former administration officials and GOP lawmakers who have mused aloud about a national service mandate and other measures to remedy what they see as a “crisis” facing the all-volunteer military.
icon-election.png

Follow Election 2024
Trump has signaled that Miller, if there is a second term, might reprise his role as defense secretary, a powerful Cabinet post with sway over Pentagon policy. And though the former president has not publicly endorsed this Heritage strategy document, he did embrace many of the organization’s proposals at the outset of his first term.

In an interview, Miller said a national service requirement should be “strongly considered.” He described the concept as a common “rite of passage,” one that would create a sense of “shared sacrifice” among America’s youth.

“It reinforces the bonds of civility,” Miller said. “… Why wouldn’t we give that a try?”
Under his plan, he said, the ASVAB would be used to identify potential military “weaknesses” and help plug knowledge gaps as U.S. defense leaders size up competitors like China, and devise plans for possible conflicts with a range of foreign adversaries.
“If we’re going to prepare for a great-power competition,” Miller said, “it’s helpful to have a baseline understanding of the pool of potential military service members and their specific aptitudes prior.”
His contribution to Project 2025 also advocates granting military recruiters greater access to secondary schools, and he’s proposed halting use of the Defense Department’s electronic medical records platform, which he says leads to “unnecessary delays” and “unwarranted rejections” for some people with disabilities or other conditions who otherwise want to serve.

Trump’s own relationship with the military is complicated. As a teenager, he attended a military academy but later sought deferments to avoid service during the Vietnam War. As president, he embraced the role of commander in chief but routinely clashed with the Pentagon as its leaders balked at many of his impulses and recoiled when claims surfaced that he’d disparaged those killed in combat.
Trump’s campaign declined to address whether the former president supports mandatory military service and sought to tamp down speculation about his agenda. In a statement, top advisers cautioned that unless announced by the former president or “an authorized member” of his reelection team, no conjecture about future staffing or policy “should be deemed official.”

Collectively, the military services fell short of the Pentagon’s recruiting goal by about 41,000 last year, officials told lawmakers in December. Only the Marines and the Space Force met their objectives.

In explaining its shortfall, the Army, the largest of the services, points to internal data indicating that most of America’s youth — 71 percent — do not qualify for military service for reasons that include obesity, drug use and aptitude.
Only 1 percent of the U.S. population serves in the armed forces, Army data shows.
The United States halted conscription in 1973, two years before the Vietnam War ended, and since then the idea of mandatory military service has remained politically unpopular. But some in the GOP appear willing to make a case for change.
Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio), a potential Trump running mate, said in an interview that he sees a clear need for measures to boost participation. “I like the idea of national service. And I’m not talking about in wartime,” he said, calling for more Americans to put “some skin in the game.”

when I read the thread title, I thought it said, "In Trump's obit."

So, he's still alive & kicking....

when I read the thread title, I thought it said, "In Trump's obit."

So, he's still alive & kicking....
Do you need to be in every thread? I think someone posted something yesterday on the basketball board. Time to bump your own posts, freak.

Lottery was NOT in effect until 1971. Look it up.
There was a lottery in December of 1969 and again in July of 1970.

There was a draft board classification system for every draft in the 20th Century.

Reactions: SSG T
Lottery was NOT in effect until 1971. Look it up.

Ok, but not everyone who was eligible was drafted before then, either. It wasn't mandatory service. Mandatory means every serves at 18 (after high school). Hell, not everyone who was eligible during WWII was drafted either.

Ok, but not everyone who was eligible was drafted before then, either. It wasn't mandatory service. Mandatory means every serves at 18 (after high school). Hell, not everyone who was eligible during WWII was drafted either.
My late hubby and others who were in college had deferments but as soon as you finished you either signed up for the branch you wanted (hoped they had room) or you got your notice from “Selective(my ass) Service”.
My brother the party animal was on the verge of flunking out so my Dad pulled him from school; he had a golf buddy in the Air Force and he got my brother in there. My Dad said no way are you going Army so those assholes can send you over to Vietnam like the next round of hamburger meat. My brother spent the next seven years at Eglin AFB - stateside.

My late hubby and others who were in college had deferments but as soon as you finished you either signed up for the branch you wanted (hoped they had room) or you got your notice from “Selective(my ass) Service”.
My brother the party animal was on the verge of flunking out so my Dad pulled him from school; he had a golf buddy in the Air Force and he got my brother in there. My Dad said no way are you going Army so those assholes can send you over to Vietnam like the next round of hamburger meat. My brother spent the next seven years at Eglin AFB - stateside.

My uncle on my mom's side (younger sister's husband) turned 18 in 1972. He was the youngest of 5 boys, all of whom turned 18 between 1960 and then. So all were draft age during our involvement in Vietnam. None of them went to college, none got deferments. None were drafted. One enlisted in the USAF when he was 21. The rest never served.

As I said, not everyone was drafted, that's not mandatory service.

And I looked it up, the draft lottery was 1969-70. Also looked it up, 1.9 million men were drafted from 1964 to 1973. That's less than 200k per. The highest was 1966 with 362k.

So again, not everyone was drafted, which means it was selective, not mandatory, service.

My uncle on my mom's side (younger sister's husband) turned 18 in 1972. He was the youngest of 5 boys, all of whom turned 18 between 1960 and then. So all were draft age during our involvement in Vietnam. None of them went to college, none got deferments. None were drafted. One enlisted in the USAF when he was 21. The rest never served.

And I looked it up, the draft lottery was 1969-70. Also looked it up, 1.9 million men were drafted from 1964 to 1973. That's less than 200k per. The highest was 1966 with 362k.

So again, not everyone was drafted, which means it was selective, not mandatory, service.
You are talking to a photo not a person.

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a standardized test developed by the Defense Department decades ago to help the military funnel recruits into occupations that match their skills and intellect. And if Donald Trump’s last defense secretary could have his way, all public high school students would be required to take it.
Sounds like what they're doing in Germany.

Well it’s two-fold: First there is a classification system; and second there is a required lottery. Participation is only compulsory for those selected.

The draft is also only available in cases of specified emergency.

Mandatory service like in Korea, requires 18+ months from men or they risk prison or loss of citizenship. Those unfit for military service must do public service. The only way to avoid the time commitment is to achieve an enumerated achievement in the national interest.
Thanks

Reactions: mnole03

Wait. We're quibbling about selective vs mandatory?

It was selective in the sense that not everybody got drafted. But if you were selected, damn right it was mandatory.

In Trump's orbit? What does that mean?

I marvel at the BS people spew out, and get people like the OP to post for clicks.

Well it’s two-fold: First there is a classification system; and second there is a required lottery. Participation is only compulsory for those selected.
To be clear, participation in the Selective Service system was mandatory. Fighting may not have been required. In fact nothing more may have been required. But if it was, that's mandatory, too.

Dude, the last generation of Americans to get drafted were Boomers.

I think your point is correct, however, that most people who have actually been through combat are more reluctant to send young people to war compared to those who haven’t.

I think if America once again relies on a draft America is screwed with this upcoming generation.
Agreed,

I’m not sending my kids to die in another country for some rich guys to get richer over a fake agenda. Will the rich be sending own kids? No

National Guard mandatory so each and every citizen can defend the Homeland im for 1000%! Sending the poor to die for the Elite and MIP I’m a hard pass

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Wait. We're quibbling about selective vs mandatory?

It was selective in the sense that not everybody got drafted. But if you were selected, damn right it was mandatory.

Of course. But mantory service is like, say, South Korea. You graduate from high school and are required to spend 2 years in the military.

And FTR, I'm against a draft other that a war involving full mobilization (last seen during WWII)

Reactions: mnole03
My wife's uncle joined the Air Force and due to his aptitude at engine repair found himself in country working on Skyraiders and Broncos. He said the VC probed their base many times, but never made it in, however there were a lot of rocket attacks that caused him to go running for a trench. He avoided the bunkers because they assumed the VC had those targeted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT