ADVERTISEMENT

soup back at michigan

J_Heater

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
If you care soup Campbell is back at michigan. Per michigan site

And we still have GD.

Gee, anyone still think KF made the right call in that philosophical coaching conflict?

since KF traded Soup for Kennedy as the WR coach, the WR's this last fall were getting better separation under Kennedy than they did under Soup.

Originally posted by Slappy Pappy:

And we still have GD.

Gee, anyone still think KF made the right call in that philosophical coaching conflict?

Soup is their new OC....?

Probably not.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

since KF traded Soup for Kennedy as the WR coach, the WR's this last fall were getting better separation under Kennedy than they did under Soup.
Ummm...no. We simply had a bit more speed this year and separation was still very much an issue.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Ummm...no. We simply had a bit more speed this year and separation was still very much an issue.
Aegon ol' buddy, I was worried about you. You hadn't posted in a couple days and I thought maybe I had run you off, lol.
Had to spend the weekend in jail? I would have bailed ya out, ol' friend. Domestic troubles? Throney comvention, lol? .
Oh, and I disagree with the separation is still an issue comment. I've tried to explain this in great detail numerous times, but people don't want facts to get in the way of their opinions. I guess you can have your own definition of 'seperation', I speak of it as defined by college coaches, not Brent Muskyberger:)

Matt, I thought you were done posting on here? Wasn't there a long thread where you said goodbye to everyone??

Originally posted by redman21:

Matt, I thought you were done posting on here? Wasn't there a long thread where you said goodbye to everyone??
Redman, where have you been? I've answered this question over 20 times. Get with it, would ya:)
Thanks for reading my post, though. It's people like you that make me the legend I am:)

McNutt and DJK disagree...Plus how could you even tell if our WR were this year with Checkdownpalooza going on.

last season was Kennedy's 2nd season as the WR coach, and Kennedy has done a very good job of getting players out of TX, and it was Soup that was accused of just punching a time clock when it came to recruiting. Soup had 4* Davis as his best WR prospect, care to remind me on how he ended up?

last season was Kennedy's 2nd season as the WR coach, and Kennedy has done a very good job of getting players out of TX, and it was Soup that was accused of just punching a time clock when it came to recruiting. Soup had 4* Davis as his best WR prospect, care to remind me on how he ended up?
In the 4 years he was here, Soup developed two of the best WRs Iowa has had. He also didn't do too badly with Moeaki's senior year when Soup was the TE coach as well.

Kennedy may ultimately be better, but right now he really hasn't proven that he's even on par with Soup's on-field production.

He won't be a full-time assistant as Michigan already has a full staff. He'll have to be filling some kind of advisory or administrative role.

He still hasn't had a regular coaching job since Iowa fired him, save for about half a season in the Canadian league. That should really tell you something.

Please enlighten us on how Soup was "punching the clock". Who said this? Do you have any evidence or are you just making this up as most everything you do. Cause you like to make this claim about our former asst coaches and yet have ZERO proof.

Keenan Davis why are you bashing him. He had a nice career at Iowa with 50 rec for 713yds 4 tds as a JR and SR year dropped but still had 47rec for 571 yds 1 TD under Greg Davis' anemic offense.

Davis' yards his JR year has not been topped by any WR in Greg Davis' 3 years here and even with his Sr season stats still would have been the team leader in receptions and yards in 2013 and last season would have been 2nd in yards and receptions.

Davis ended up getting a shot with 2 NFL teams. Not too bad of a career actually...Again why are you ripping on a former Hawkeye?

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

Aegon ol' buddy, I was worried about you. You hadn't posted in a couple days and I thought maybe I had run you off, lol.
Had to spend the weekend in jail? I would have bailed ya out, ol' friend. Domestic troubles? Throney comvention, lol? .
Oh, and I disagree with the separation is still an issue comment. I've tried to explain this in great detail numerous times, but people don't want facts to get in the way of their opinions. I guess you can have your own definition of 'seperation', I speak of it as defined by college coaches, not Brent Muskyberger:)
You were worried honey cakes? That's so Matty of you. There is a problem with separation still, not a as big as it used to be, but getting away from the defense was still an issue with our WR.

It had more to do with the play-calling and the routes that were called for IMO. It's easy to stay on a WR if he stays within the 1st down marker.

We got separation because the DB's knew Ferentz wouldn't throw it deep so they doubled up on the 2 yard outs.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

last season was Kennedy's 2nd season as the WR coach, and Kennedy has done a very good job of getting players out of TX, and it was Soup that was accused of just punching a time clock when it came to recruiting. Soup had 4* Davis as his best WR prospect, care to remind me on how he ended up?
Please enlighten us on how Soup was "punching the clock".  Who said this? Do you have any evidence or are you just making this up as most everything you do.  Cause you like to make this claim about our former asst coaches and yet have ZERO proof.

Keenan Davis why are you bashing him.  He had a nice career at Iowa with 50 rec for 713yds 4 tds as a JR and SR year dropped but still had 47rec for 571 yds 1 TD under Greg Davis' anemic offense.

Davis' yards his JR year has not been topped by any WR in Greg Davis' 3 years here and even with his Sr season stats still would have been the team leader in receptions and yards in 2013 and last season would have been 2nd in yards and receptions. 

Davis ended up getting a shot with 2 NFL teams.  Not too bad of a career actually...Again why are you ripping on a former Hawkeye?
I've heard the Soup "punching the clock" thing too from several people, including former players who are still well connected to the program. I was told that as soon as he was passed up for OC, he did what he had to do and nothing more.

Soup was famous for his statement about how Iowa needed 'to stretch the field more' when he was hired, and how downfield passing was the answer. Hiring GD was a double slap to someone with a passing philosophy of actually throwing the ball past the 1st down marker like Soup. I don't blame him for punching the clock when the OC flatly contradicts his coaching of the receivers to run downfield routes. Must have felt totally irrelevant because to GD he was.

during his final season at Iowa I was told by a friend in the athletic department that Campbell was a cancer when things got tough during the season.

Campbell and Erb had huge issues with GDGD. KOK used Erb for a lot of planning, strategy, play calling. Erb and KOK confided in Soup for formations, routes, talent evaluation.
GDGD was/is all about himself and would have little input from the old "KOK guys".
This is what caused soup to become a clock puncher and attitude problem. Erb basically got run out due to some special team blunders. I know a lot of high school coachs and former palyers who think very highly of both Soup and Erb.
So as we continue our downward spiral from the O Bowl ask yourself what has the major change been. Then you'll get to the true cancer.

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

Campbell and Erb had huge issues with GDGD. KOK used Erb for a lot of planning, strategy, play calling. Erb and KOK confided in Soup for formations, routes, talent evaluation.
GDGD was/is all about himself and would have little input from the old "KOK guys".
This is what caused soup to become a clock puncher and attitude problem. Erb basically got run out due to some special team blunders. I know a lot of high school coachs and former palyers who think very highly of both Soup and Erb.
So as we continue our downward spiral from the O Bowl ask yourself what has the major change been. Then you'll get to the true cancer.
Well, one "change" that actually was made is the naming of BF as the "running game coordinator"... Will it help? I have no idea. Will moving Woods over to the TE coaching position help? From what I've heard/read, the offensive staff was not all that impressed with the TE coaching last year( GA-DJ Hernandez, was the coach). Could be some "lipstick on a pig" type of moves, or it will actually help the team improve...I'm in a wait and see mode right now.

Originally posted by saberfan:
during his final season at Iowa I was told by a friend in the athletic department that Campbell was a cancer when things got tough during the season.

I don't know about cancer but the 2012 season gave lots of fans heart burn..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT