ADVERTISEMENT

Sous vide chicken hind quarters

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
Got a sous vide for Christmas. Only meat I have on hand are some chicken hind quarters so I'm doing them tomorrow.

Any tips? How long should it take? What temp? I've got some recipes online but I thought the great cooks of giaort might have some good knowledge to pass along. Tia

OP I usually do 150 for chicken thighs. Anywhere between 1-4 hours will deliver identical results. Welcome to the world of delicious food without thr hassle of worrying about overcooking/undercooking.

The best resource I have found is a dude named J. Kenji-Lopez Alt. He is a rockstar and his stuff always works. Here is his page for chicken thighs. The legs will cook perfectly as well at these temps/times.

The best guy for sous vide

Reactions: Tom Paris and DooBi
You have a pretty broad window with chicken leg & thighs. I would think sous vide is unnecessary.

I was also going to say that sous vide is great for many things, but chicken is more work than it’s worth. You still have to finish it in a cast iron, skillet, or grill and is so easy to cook so you’re just adding an unnecessary step.
It is phenomenal for brisket when you have no idea what’s in the center.

OP I usually do 150 for chicken thighs. Anywhere between 1-4 hours will deliver identical results. Welcome to the world of delicious food without thr hassle of worrying about overcooking/undercooking.

The best resource I have found is a dude named J. Kenji-Lopez Alt. He is a rockstar and his stuff always works. Here is his page for chicken thighs. The legs will cook perfectly as well at these temps/times.

The best guy for sous vide
Thank you!

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Got a sous vide for Christmas. Only meat I have on hand are some chicken hind quarters so I'm doing them tomorrow.

Any tips? How long should it take? What temp? I've got some recipes online but I thought the great cooks of giaort might have some good knowledge to pass along. Tia
150 for 2 hours. Finish on a hot skillet or grill to crisp.

Reactions: DooBi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT