ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina and Iowa prove if ‘given an opportunity, women’s sports just thrives’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Jim Trotter
Apr 7, 2024

CLEVELAND — Everyone wanted to talk about the game, which was expected after the South Carolina women’s basketball team held off Iowa for an 87-75 victory and second national championship in three years. But Dawn Staley also wanted to talk about the other game. Actually, that’s not strong enough. She was going to discuss it.
Advertisement

Basketball has played such an important role in her life that she protects it as fiercely as a mother would a newborn. Her love for it is matched only by her respect for it. So even as questioners asked about the Gamecocks becoming just the 10th team in NCAA Division I history to finish a season undefeated, going 38-0, Staley purposely turned the spotlight back to the person who was central in helping to make this a transformative season and inflection point in the game’s evolution.
“I don’t want to not utilize this opportunity to thank Caitlin (Clark) for what she’s done for women’s basketball,” she said of the Iowa guard whose transcendent play helped drive record viewership numbers. “Her shoulders were heavy and getting a lot of eyeballs on our game. And sometimes as a young person, it can be a bit much. But I thought she handled it with class. I hope that every step of the ladder of success that she goes, she’s able to elevate whatever room she’s in.”
Minutes earlier, Staley had elevated herself to the upper rungs of a ladder in Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. She snipped the final polyester strands from the net and placed it around her neck. Then she turned each way and waved to fans.
As I later listened to her describe her feelings, Maya Angelou’s words came to mind: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
That summarizes the 2023-24 women’s basketball season for me. Years from now, I will likely forget Clark’s career points total, how many games South Carolina won, why Kim Mulkey always seemed so angry, and which players were involved in the moving screen at the end of the UConn-Iowa national semifinal. But I will never forget the sense of satisfaction derived from seeing the sport come of age.

For decades, broadcast partners and the public marginalized women’s basketball, ostensibly relegating it to the kids’ table. The calls for respect were heard but ignored. But this season was different. The women no longer asked for respect; they demanded it with the record-breaking viewership that stemmed from the genius of Clark, the high-level play of South Carolina, Iowa, UConn, LSU and others, and the storylines and grudge matches that set social media ablaze.
Advertisement

How far has the game come? When the Final Four was held in Tacoma, Wash., in 1988 and ’89, the local newspaper didn’t send any of its top sportswriters to cover the event. It sent a lowly community news reporter who had never staffed a major sporting event. I know because that person was me.
I was stunned there wasn’t more interest after experiencing the intensity of Tennessee coach Pat Summitt’s piercing blue eyes, the playmaking of Long Beach State guard Penny Toler, the generalship of Stanford guard Jennifer Azzi, the consistency of Tennessee forward Bridgette Gordon, and the promise of Louisiana Tech center Venus Lacy. But traction is hard to come by when broadcast rights are sold to a cable outlet that views you as an afterthought.
ESPN should be ashamed for that. The fact is, it’s not deserving of what it now has — one of the hottest products in sports. The women’s game this year attracted more viewers than NBA Finals, World Series, college football playoffs — you name it. And while there might be a drop-off with Clark leaving for the WNBA, the chances of a significant decline seem remote at best.
The reason is the abundance of elite teams and playmaking young stars, including USC freshman JuJu Watkins, who ranked second in the country in scoring; Notre Dame freshman Hannah Hildago, who was must-see TV; and South Carolina freshmen MiLaysia Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson, who just played prominent roles in winning the Gamecocks their third national championship in franchise history. And then there is senior guard Paige Bueckers, who led Connecticut to the Final Four and should be in the running for national Player of the Year next season.
“I just want our game to grow. I don’t care if it’s us. I don’t if it’s Caitlin. I don’t care if it’s JuJu or Hannah,” Staley said. “I just want our games to grow, no matter who it is. Because there’s a lot of people that are out there growing our game, a lot of programs out there growing our game. We need to continue to uplift them as well, as we take our game to the next level.”
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Dawn Staley created South Carolina's perfect championship season out of last year's loss

There will be plenty of time to discuss the passing of the baton, so to speak. But Sunday was about recognizing those who, if not created this moment, unquestionably built on the momentum created in recent seasons. And Clark was at the front of the line.
Before disappearing from the dais for the final time as a college player, she reflected on the things she will remember and appreciate most — her teammates, her coaches, and her support inside and outside the program. And she will also take great pride and satisfaction that she played a part in making the women’s game top of mind.
Advertisement

“When I think about women’s basketball going forward, obviously it’s just going to continue to grow, whether it’s at the WNBA level, whether it’s at the college level,” Clark said. “Everybody sees it. Everybody knows. Everybody sees the viewership numbers. When you’re given an opportunity, women’s sports just kind of thrives. I think that’s been the coolest thing for me on this journey. We started our season playing in front of 55,000 people in Kinnick Stadium, and now we’re ending it playing in (front of) probably 15 million people or more on TV. It just continues to get better and better. That’s never going to stop.”

With 41 seconds left on the clock and her team technically on defense, Caitlin Clark knew it was over.

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder knew it, too, which might have been why after initially being upset that none of her players were even attempting to guard South Carolina, she let it go.

Clark stared into space, the final seconds of one of the greatest collegiate careers in basketball ticking down as South Carolina willingly took a shot clock violation, up 87-75 in Sunday’s national championship game.

Advertisement

Twenty seconds later, Bluder subbed out her famous No. 22 for the final time. “I’m proud of you,” she told her superstar. And one by one, Clark hugged her coaches and teammates — one of the harder moments for her Sunday, she’d later say — as she prepared to walk into the Iowa locker room with the Hawkeyes one last time.

“I’m so lucky,” Clark said after Iowa fell to the Gamecocks, finishing as the runner-up for the second consecutive season. “I’m so fortunate. That’s what I always remind myself.”

In the next 48 hours, the emotions will come, Clark figures. There will be tears. By then she’ll be able to fully process her college career coming to an end and the memories she’ll leave behind with this team from this run in this era of women’s basketball.

But in the instant aftermath of her final collegiate game, before she inevitably goes No. 1 in next week’s WNBA Draft, Clark seemed at peace Sunday. She spoke like someone who was content with everything she gave — both to Iowa and women’s basketball at large as the sport underwent a tectonic shift. Someone who understands her place in the sport and the joy her logo 3s and effortlessly beautiful passes have created for generations of fans.

“I’ll be able to sleep every night even though I never won a national championship,” she said. “I never sit and sulk about things that didn’t happen.”

Clark leaves Iowa with an NCAA Division I record 3,951 career points and with a record 1,144 career assists. She achieved two Final Four berths, won two Naismith Player of the Year awards, earned four first-team All-Big Ten honors, claimed three Big Ten tournament titles and holds too many records to count as the most electric talent in the country. Iowa was out of season tickets by August. The Hawkeyes sold out every home game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena this season as dads and daughters, and moms and sons packed the stands, excited to see basketball’s generational talent up close. Those who were lucky snagged an autograph. Those at home watched the greatness from their living rooms as Clark became drop-everything, must-see TV, and television numbers soared.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Caitlin Clark surpasses Maravich's NCAA scoring record

There will be plenty of debates in the near and distant future about whether Clark is the greatest player in her sport’s history now that she leaves Iowa without a title. To some, she needed a championship to solidify her status as the best. To others, her singular greatness will be enough.

As Clark made her way to her postgame news conference down the tunnel of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse — still in her Iowa uniform with a towel in-hand — the celebration for South Carolina coach Dawn Staley winning her third national championship had just begun on the other side of the wall.

Advertisement

Confetti covered the court as DJ Khaled’s “All I Do is Win” blared over the speakers. The national championship hats and T-shirts had been passed out.

But when it came time for Staley to speak, she didn’t want to talk about just her team — an undefeated crew that went a perfect 38-0.

“I want to personally thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up our sport. She carried a heavy load for our sport,” Staley said. “Caitlin Clark, if you’re out there, you are one of the GOATs of our game, and we appreciate you.”

Clark said Sunday that she thinks reflecting over the next week or so will be the most special part of this experience for her. She spent Saturday night looking through old pictures and embracing the nostalgia that came with thinking back to where she was three years ago compared to where she is now. She smiled recalling fans her grandmother’s age who became fanatical about Iowa’s team this year. Little girls and boys will look up to her for years to come.

It is her sincere hope that she “showed everyone how fun women’s basketball is” and “how fun women’s sports are.”

“She has raised the excitement of our sport. There’s no doubt,” Bluder said. “I really think that when she came in as a freshman and she said, ‘We’re going to the Final Four,’ a lot of people laughed at her. And maybe even laughed at her for coming to Iowa, quite honestly.

“But she believed, we believed and she got everybody else in that locker room to believe. And that is not an easy thing to do.”

Next up for Clark is the WNBA, a league that is waiting with its arms outstretched to greet Clark as she takes the next step in her career. The Indiana Fever have the No. 1 pick on April 15, and the Las Vegas Aces have already moved their scheduled matchup against the Fever in July to a bigger arena. This isn’t the end for Clark, but it is the end of an era.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
With the WNBA Draft nearing, what's next for Caitlin Clark?

As Clark wrapped up her news conference, she said she hoped that her records would be broken some day. Maybe even some day soon.

Then she walked back down the tunnel with the gray and beige carpet and through a set of double doors to take off her jersey for the final time.

“It was a special year,” she said. “Yeah, I’m sad we lost this game, but I’m also so proud of myself, I’m so proud of my teammates, I’m so proud of this program. There’s a lot to be proud of.

“I think for me I know what’s next is soon. But at the same time, I’m not blind to the fact that I need to enjoy this, I need to soak this in.”

Clark shooting like Steph Curry is what drove it.

I watched more Iowa women's basketball in the last two years than any other sport outside football.

I doubt I what much at all going forward. Women’s game has a lot of missed layups and turnovers. It’s really quite sloppy. Also, if one team is going to only lose 1 game every 2-3 years there is no point in watching any of it.

Time will tell.

Just need the Michael Jordan of women’s basketball to be playing and the ratings kill it. Next year will prove how unwatchable the product is without Clark and the men’s game will get the eyeballs.
Men’s game suffers because nobody stays in college long enough to draw interest, Edey being a big exception.

Also almost no point to mid majors at this point. If a smaller schools gets an awesome player almost guaranteed they leave for $$$$.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT