ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest Airlines To End Its Open Seating Policy

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
I figured this would be of interest to you poors who fly Southwest... at least you'll be able to get some seats with extra leg room.

CNBC reports:

Southwest Airlines is ending open seating and will offer extra legroom seats on its airplanes as mounting pressure on the carrier to increase revenue prompts the biggest changes to its business model in its 53 years of flying.
The airline plans to start selling the first flights that will offer extra legroom next year, it said Thursday. The airline also plans to start overnight flights, starting in February.
When travelers choose a competitor over Southwest, the airline found in its research that its open seating model was the No. 1 reason for that choice, the carrier said in a release that outlined the changes. It also said 80% of its own customers prefer an assigned seat.
Read the full article.

Which means the 4 yearly upgraded boarding passes with the credit card will have to be changed to something else or deleted.

People love to rip Southwest but man my family and I have gotten to go a lot of places a do a lot of things because of our ability to game the companion pass. I’m a little bummed to be honest.
Yes, the people who flew WN a lot or knew the system could do well. I was half kidding when I said "poors" because any time I checked WN, their fares weren't exactly cheap.

We fly WN often and have the companion pass as we speak. That said, the past few years so many people have been faking medical reasons to board first and so many were saving seats that this had to be done. I'm curious to see what benefits they transition card holders to when this takes effect.

We fly WN often and have the companion pass as we speak. That said, the past few years so many people have been faking medical reasons to board first and so many were saving seats that this had to be done. I'm curious to see what benefits they transition card holders to when this takes effect.
Last time I flew SW seemed like 1/3 of the passengers had disabilities. Add in all the other preboarders and it was over half full when I got on at B10 or something.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Also, their A-List members. One of the biggest perks of being an A-List member is automatic check in and premium boarding position (A16-30).

I wonder how they have considered the impact to the loyalty programs?

Also, their A-List members. One of the biggest perks of being an A-List member is automatic check in and premium boarding position (A16-30).

I wonder if they will reserve the primo seats for A-List.

Also wonder if they will add a First class.

The last time I flew southwest to arizona, I counted 18 wheel chairs, 18 people pushing them, and nearly every one tried to save a seat between them. Throw in the normal seat savers, the fatties, the families, and my B10 boarding pass got me a middle seat in the back of a 4+ hour flight.

Sounds like the first 4 rows (24 seats) and the exit rows will be assigned and boarded first with more leg room. The remaining will see 2" less leg room than now and it's unclear how those seats will be assigned or order of seating yet. Also adding redeye flights.

The last time I flew southwest to arizona, I counted 18 wheel chairs, 18 people pushing them, and nearly every one tried to save a seat between them. Throw in the normal seat savers, the fatties, the families, and my B10 boarding pass got me a middle seat in the back of a 4+ hour flight.
And I bet you didn’t see hardly any wheelchairs or people needing assistance after you landed, did you. I hate people who scam systems designed to help people truly in need.

Im sure they did. And then gave em the big eff you when they considered how much more revenue it would generate per flight and per quarterly report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT