ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation about the Oscar Nominees Thread

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a25861076/oscars-2019-nominations-predictions/

We're deep in Award Season, the most exciting time of year for movie lovers (those who don't care about rushing to the multiplex for summer blockbusters, that is). With the Oscars still over a month away (the ceremony will take place on February 24), there's plenty of time to place bets on which movies—and which movie stars—will go home with the golden trophy.

Yesterday marked the deadline for Academy voters to submit their nomination ballots for this year's crop of nominees, and we won't know who will earn nods until the nominations are officially announced on January 22. But we can still have fun wildly speculating on who will inch closer to the awards, based on critical acclaim and previous award wins. Here are the current frontrunners for 2019 Oscar nominations in the top six award categories: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Director.

Best Picture
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
The Favourite
Green Book
If Beale Street Could Talk
RomaA Star Is Born
Vice

In the 10 years since the Academy opened up the Best Picture race to 10 possible nominees, the full slate has only been filled twice (most years, we get eight to nine nominees for the category). With that in mind, these are the movies most likely to fill out the potential 10 slots—but nine nominees are possibly more likely, with Can You Ever Forgive Me? serving as a dark horse in the race.

Best Actor
Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

The Best Actor race is one of the most solid in years, with Bale, Cooper, Malek, and Mortenson leading the pack. Ethan Hawke is the dark horse here (he should win, in my opinion); John David Washington's performance for BlacKkKlansman could squeeze in.

Best Actress
Emily Blunt, Mary Poppins Returns
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Thanks to the Golden Globes win for Glenn Close, which culminated in her excellent and moving acceptance speech, the Best Actress race is now a three-way fight between Close, Olivia Colman, and Lady Gaga. Melissa McCarthy has it in a lock for Can You Ever Forgive Me?, while previous nominee Emily Blunt will likely earn her second nomination for bringing her own spin to the character for which Julie Andrews won an Oscar five decades ago.

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Timothée Chalamet, Beautiful Boy
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Michael B. Jordan, Black Panther

This could be the most interesting category of them all, for one particular reason: Michael B. Jordan. Can the game-changing Black Panther prove itself to be the kind of serious film that features, in the Academy's eyes, serious acting performances? Jordan's Eric Killmonger is one of the most nuanced and complex villains in superhero movie history, but is that enough to attract the Academy's votes? (Sam Elliott, too, could potentially earn a nomination for his brief but meaty role in A Star Is Born.)

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Vice
Claire Foy, First Man
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Yes, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are both leading players in The Favourite, and yes, it's probably category fraud that they were submitted in the supporting category to bolster Olivia Colman's chances to win Best Actress. It is what is, and we must live with the fact that these two will get the nomination. The other three are shoo-ins for these nomination, with Regina King leading the pack as the current frontrunner.

What, no over/under on who the host might be?

I'm still trying to figure out how a cookie cutter Marvel Movie made it on there. I mean, I get that "Vice" was gonna be on there regardless of how good or bad it was...but a Super Hero movie for "Best Picture"?

There have been 17 Superhero movies nominated and aside from Heath Ledger getting Best Supporting Actor, the rest were basically all nominated for Best Visual Effects. Black Panther isn't as good or more visually awe-inspiring than half of them. Of course, it's still hasn't been actually nominated, yet, so it may not be.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Amy Adams has 5 nominations with no wins but Regina King seems to have the buzz. On the other hand, King did not get a SAG nomination and they are often a leading indicator of Oscar nominations.

The Academy should give out a lifetime achievement Oscar for those who have been nominated a number of times but never won. People who have been nominated by their peers, say 5 times deserve some sort of award too.

https://www.simplemost.com/best-actors-whove-never-won-an-oscar/

I read Vice President Cheney's book, which was basically an autobiography.

I do not understand how anyone saw a feature film in there anywhere. His story is inspirational, and a worthwhile read, but still ...

In any event, we have seen none of the films on the above lists. We may see "Roma" which looked kind of good ... and "First Reformed" looks quite good as well. Perhaps we will watch "Bohemian Rhapsody" somewhere along the way as well.

Most of the others appear to be acquired tastes.

in b4 Will Smiths BW complains about the Oscars being racist.

I read Vice President Cheney's book, which was basically an autobiography.

I do not understand how anyone saw a feature film in there anywhere. His story is inspirational, and a worthwhile read, but still ...

In any event, we have seen none of the films on the above lists. We may see "Roma" which looked kind of good ... and "First Reformed" looks quite good as well. Perhaps we will watch "Bohemian Rhapsody" somewhere along the way as well.

Most of the others appear to be acquired tastes.

I actually watched First Reformed because of the buzz. It was ok, but not that as great as advertised. It was a pretty strong performance by Hawke, but I didn't think it was necessarily an extraordinary performance. In my opinion, First Reformed got what is obviously "woke" points that many films all strive for these days. The central conflict that drives it could have been many other things, but it's specifically something designed to cash in woke points. Had it been something else in that spot, I think it would have been more realistic, but I think it would have been seen as a good, interesting film...but probably wouldn't be gracing top ten lists.

Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody...fun film, just blasts on through all it's typical biopic cliche with just unadulterated entertainment, but boy, it's hard to imagine a universe where it would be recognized as a "best film".

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the late Oscar bait releases, but overall, I thought this year was pretty weak for films. I did like BlaKKKlansman and Spiderverse a lot, and I there were two films I thought were GREAT that are nowhere on the end of year lists (American Animals and Bad Times at the El Royale). Having 3-4 movies I really liked is not bad, but beyond that, it was very thin. I just didn't see that much that I either didn't care for, or was fine but quickly forgettable. For me it was very top-heavy, real enjoyable movies were pretty few and far between.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
So I missed the oscars nomination thread...what are we speculating about? Why it got deleted?

Prob a noles mod?

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT