ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee Olympic Trials Preview

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

What about Cass and Marinelli? Are you writing them off?
elmo-shrug.gif

Istanbul, Turkey
This is why I’m a proponent of moving the trials up a few months to maybe January if we have unqualified weights. Now 2 weights will have a short turnaround to travel and get acclimated for last chance. I think our rep should get the two shots. It would also force the hand of those ncaa hopefuls to just take the ORS or not have to if they don’t qualify.

This is why I’m a proponent of moving the trials up a few months to maybe January if we have unqualified weights. Now 2 weights will have a short turnaround to travel and get acclimated for last chance. I think our rep should get the two shots. It would also force the hand of those ncaa hopefuls to just take the ORS or not have to if they don’t qualify.
Who gets to practice freestyle leading up to Jan?

Reactions: BGon4ND

That's great if you already qualify for an ORS and are sitting out the college season, but what about the guys that might win NCAAs to earn their qualification? Ayala for instance had he won his final might've wanted to go. Or some of the Iowa women that also qualified that way. They'd have all missed out. And then what do you do about the last chance qualifier, move it to November or December before we even know who might need a last chance?

That's great if you already qualify for an ORS and are sitting out the college season, but what about the guys that might win NCAAs to earn their qualification? Ayala for instance had he won his final might've wanted to go. Or some of the Iowa women that also qualified that way. They'd have all missed out. And then what do you do about the last chance qualifier, move it to November or December before we even know who might need a last chance?
If your focus is on college kids…
We have to sacrifice somebody’s opportunity and if they want they can use last years champs. Ayala didn’t win so it’s moot. And Figs isn’t entered. Mendez is the other qualifier and he’d be in already as an age level medalist.
I’m fine with some college kids missing out if our rep gets a chance at the Pan Ams which is a much easier route for a non qualified weight. All the other weights can have OTTs as usual or even later.

Who gets to practice freestyle leading up to Jan?
I think that’s the point. If you qualify for an ORS, then take it semester 1 to train exclusively freestyle and try to get yourself qualified for the OTTs, which would then be in January. If you win, stay in ORS and train for the Olympics. If you don’t, then burn the shirt and wrestle NCAAs semester 2.
It would be based on the previous year's NCAA championships. That would seem actually better because those champions would be able to focus on freestyle in the months leading up to the trials instead of having to win a folkstyle season and then flip the switch to freestyle within a month to go to the trials.

Hmm, team workouts, match travel, attend classes, and course work all while cutting weight on a limited feed. I guess they can practice free in their “spare time.”
We shouldn’t be catering to NCAA athletes if we haven’t qualified the weight. And they have the ORS available. Which all of the entrants in the 57 and 65kg trials could have used.

Hmm, team workouts, match travel, attend classes, and course work all while cutting weight on a limited feed. I guess they can practice free in their “spare time.”
That's what world class athletes do - and it was also "who gets to practice freestyle leading up to Jan?" That means well before the bulk of the folkstyle season. If you are going to try and be smart assy about it, at least look for the original statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT