ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs. Gilman in Olympic Trials Finals

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Damn. Since I’ve watched him in HS from the town next door, I’ve rooted for the freakishly strong and talented Spencer Lee. Not in bouts against Lions, but at all other times, especially at NCAAs.
Now I wish I would’ve skipped Thomas Gilman’s interview after he roughed up Fix. His humility, talk of his little daughters, enormous respect for Spencer, shout-outs to Fix and refreshing insights on young Forrest almost have me on the fence for today.
I still want Spencer to win, qualify us in Istanbul, and medal in Paris, but after that interview, I’d have no problem if the humbled, mature father that all Hawk fans must be proud of wins the day.

He left to train with the “enemy”, yes he did run his mouth a few times at Iowa but he was still a kid at that point. Most Hawk fans could look past that since he was in the black&gold, but once he jumped to Happy Valley he was considered a turn coat at that point (understandable as he knew Lee would most likely be the guy to get through to be on the world/olympic team and our club has really nobody in it worthy of those teams. Becoming a parent usually leads to growing up learning respect and humility. If he came back I would welcome him with open arms but I am most likely in the minority

Reactions: WSC72
He left to train with the “enemy”, yes he did run his mouth a few times at Iowa but he was still a kid at that point. Most Hawk fans could look past that since he was in the black&gold, but once he jumped to Happy Valley he was considered a turn coat at that point (understandable as he knew Lee would most likely be the guy to get through to be on the world/olympic team and our club has really nobody in it worthy of those teams. Becoming a parent usually leads to growing up learning respect and humility. If he came back I would welcome him with open arms but I am most likely in the minority
You kind of skipped over all the Iowa & Iowa wrestler bashing he has done for years now, especially against guys that were former teammates.

The animosity was well deserved.

Had he simply gone to the NLWC to train is one thing, but he didn't do just that.

Spencer says in an interview he’s still not healthy. Well goddam he was healthy enough to win the trials and I expect him to run through anyone in turkey

You kind of skipped over all the Iowa & Iowa wrestler bashing he has done for years now, especially against guys that were former teammates.

The animosity was well deserved.

Had he simply gone to the NLWC to train is one thing, but he didn't do just that.
Yah, kinda felt like once he left Iowa to train with the NLWC and became indrocnicated into the cult, he actually became a fan of PSU(over his/our Hawkeyes). I am not on Twitter but just my take based upon what folks pasted here from Twitter. It felt like a slap in the face to Iowa fans (myself, anyway), those who devoted time and spent money to travel and cheer for him (in spite of his sometimes cringeworthy antics), not to mention his teammates.

I understand the reasons for him leaving but the way he handled it was seemingly immature. It was nice to see the mutual respect being shown by both sides today.

Spencer says in an interview he’s still not healthy. Well goddam he was healthy enough to win the trials and I expect him to run through anyone in turkey
Did he show any charts or graphs representing potential health in future?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT