ADVERTISEMENT

Spirit & Frontier Airlines are merging

Once had a travel agent book us on Frontier several years ago. Didn’t realize it until we checked-in.

That was an experience. They make you pay extra for freaking seat cushions!

I fly Spirit quite often, they're the fastest and cheapest option from MSY to MDE and MSY to LAS. I've literally never had a single issue with them.

If you know what you're getting into you know how to manage your way around those issues. With seat upgrades (big front seat) and paying for checked bags I still save about 8 hours in airports and $400 round trip.

I’ve taken the direct CID-DEN flight often on Frontier. Never paid more than $150. You get what you pay for and you know exactly what that is going in. As long as they’re paying the maintenance guys, I’m ok with it.

Fly DSM to Denver a few times a year on Frontier. Pack lightly and only a 90 minute flight for sometimes less than $100. Can’t beat it.

But I would not do much longer flights or ones with bigger luggage needs.

Frontier isn't terrible but expect some delays. Never flown Spirit

Might just buy some tickets to somewhere random to watch the fights

I’m totally drawing a blank on baseballa’s new handle. Doesn’t he fly for spirit?

I've taken exactly one round trip flight with Spirit. They had one flight from Fort Lauderdale to Denver and back daily. The flight there was fine, but a snowstorm happened while we were there and it took four days before our family of five could get seats on a flight back to Florida.

Never flown on Frontier.

Frontier isn’t bad, used to be great before they transitioned to ultra low cost….that was like right around or shortly before they came into CID.

Spirit I have flown a couple of times, not great, but never personally had a problem….just gotta know what you’re getting into.

My bigger concern with some of these low cost airlines is maintenance….Spirits planes that I have flown on were pretty worn. Frontier never really had an issue with. Never done Allegiant for this reason, though I thought I heard they got rid of their old MD80s and upgraded to new airbus?

In Florida, Spirit has a reputation for stranding passengers when they have a maintenance issue. "We don't have any spare planes, and all our flights are full until a week from next Wednesday."

Frontier isn’t bad, used to be great before they transitioned to ultra low cost….that was like right around or shortly before they came into CID.

Spirit I have flown a couple of times, not great, but never personally had a problem….just gotta know what you’re getting into.

My bigger concern with some of these low cost airlines is maintenance….Spirits planes that I have flown on were pretty worn. Frontier never really had an issue with. Never done Allegiant for this reason, though I thought I heard they got rid of their old MD80s and upgraded to new airbus?

US Airlines​

All three of the US legacy carriers are adding aircraft such as 787s and A350s to their fleets, but they still have some of the oldest planes, on average, flying today. That has no bearing on safety, but can certainly affect passenger comfort.

The youngest fleets in the United States belong to two airlines that aren’t known for investing heavily in a comfortable passenger experience: Frontier (4.2 years) and Spirit (5.6 years).

I've never actually flown Spirit so cannot comment. Done Frontier a few times; it was tolerable for short flights, but flew from Tampa to Vegas with them & it was awful. I'm not particularly big, and I felt cramped in those tiny little seats. The flight there I was ok, because I was fired up for VEGAS BABY, and I was pounding drinks on the flying cocktail party that is always a night flight to Vegas. The way home, when I hadn't slept for a few days & was hung over from a three day binge, I seriously thought I was going to die.

Frontier was great before they became a low cost carrier. Had TV screens in the back of each with access to Directv. I've never flown on them since the transition.

I've never flown on Spirit, but I know they fly a lot of red-eye flights. Be interesting to see what happens with all of those.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Total Bastard Airlines
total-bastard-airlines-buh-bye-tv-characters-photo-u1

I've told my Frontier story many times. Years ago we were visiting my wife's family in Ohio. Norovirus went thru the house. I ended up with my wife in the ER the night before our flight home because of dehydration (was coming out of both ends so long she needed an IV to get rehydrated.) So I called up Frontier and said we needed to bump our flight as I had a sick wife and two kids under the age of 5. They told me it would be an extra $600 to move the flight a day. I was like "What? Are you nuts? If I was on Southwest they'd do it for free and probably give me a voucher." Lady on the line said "I can reduce the cost to $400 but I need a note from the doctor. AND DON'T YOU DARE MISS THAT NEXT FLIGHT!"
Anyway, I get the wife home, she starts getting better as noro is a quick hitter. We go to the airport the day after...and as we're walking thru the airport...I realize that it's hit everyone but me. And I suddenly don't feel so great. First leg is to Denver and I have an infant on my lap. I need to use the restroom about halfway there but I've got the kid and my wife is passed out. Things start to get a little hazy after that. Fever, cramps and a kid sitting on my guts. By the time we get to Denver I can hardly walk off the plane. In fact, a flight attendant sees me and calls the paramedics. They cart me off and tell me that I'm not getting on the next flight. I moan a bit. Wife goes to the counter and they're like "oh, we can just reschedule you." But come back with "hold on, there's a customer service rep that wants to talk to you." Same bitch from the day before. "I TOLD your husband that he better not miss that flight!!!"
Wife is in a town she knows no one, two kids under 5 and a husband in the first aide clinic half out of his mind. No luggage as that has already gone on the next fight and this bitch starts yelling at her about missing a flight.

We stayed at an awesome hotel where the GM made a diaper run for my wife at midnight. I had my own room that I destroyed and left an enormous tip. We flew home the next day and never flew Frontier again.

Reactions: The Tradition
Frontier was great before they became a low cost carrier. Had TV screens in the back of each with access to Directv. I've never flown on them since the transition.

I've never flown on Spirit, but I know they fly a lot of red-eye flights. Be interesting to see what happens with all of those.
Ok, that’s how I remember them when they first came into CID, then a few short years later all that was gone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT