ADVERTISEMENT

Spring final thoughts

Elihawk

HB Legend
Oct 5, 2001
Okay...after viewing both open practices and getting a few inside tidbits, here are my closing thoughts on spring, 2021.
1. More injuries than I remember in a long time! For a couple practices last week, we had more OLer on the sick bay than at practice and the DL hasn't been very healthy either. Double digit surgeries, most not serious, during the spring.
2. Some potential Stars have emerged...some we got a really good, although part time look at last year, like Laporta, Campbell, Benson and Belton. And some are new guys who have shown this spring that they MIGHT be the next guys to shine in the black and gold- Harris, Lachey, Plumb, Jacobs, and Johnson. Then you have the established guys who looked improved: Moss, Goodson, Petras, Tracy (the practice where he played)
3. EVERY year I have been attending spring game/practices, the OL and the QBs looks behind the defense. EVERY year, with the exception of Banks senior season at Iowa. So, while the OL looks like a work in progress (especially with all the injuries) and the QB look inconsistent, these things at this time just do not worry me.
Offense;
Petras will be just fine. He had a makeshift OL, Revolving door of WRs all spring and still managed to have a lot of good moments. I think we can win games with Petras or Padilla at QB.
Goodson, star of the O for sure and if we can avoid getting him injured, he should be a 1000 yd rusher. #2 RB is still unsettled, but the Williams showed that they are both capable.
WR, well, with Tracy, Ragiani, and the emergence of Johnson and Bruce as potential contributors, we should have some quality. A step back from last year, sure.
OL- I believe the fall OL will be Linderbaum, Britt, Schott, Plumb, Ince...but Dejong and Richman getting reps this spring is invaluable depth building. However, I agree with a few that have stated that the staff really would be wise to look for a transfer to give depth.
Defense:
Again, the DL was like a sick bay and Black, Jones, Lee, Schutte (all likely 2 deep guys) and Reemes missing all or most of the spring...however, that got a lot of reps for Stec, Van Ness, Craig. The DL has very good potential, especially getting Black back who got rave review before the injury.
The LBs look to be the best overall group we have had in awhile and this might see us in traditional 4-3 defense more often than in the past two years, with Belton sliding to safety. Looks to me like Campbell, Benson, and now Jacobs are all very good athletes who are strong enough to hold their own versus the likes of the BT offenses.
Hankins was out all/most of the spring, but we know he can be a quality CB and Roberts missed the spring as well. Harris looks like he can play on Saturdays and Moss is a budding star. Koerner is solid and hopefully Merriweather will continue to grow. All 4 or 5 DB spots will be better than average.
Looks like our kicking games will be in good hands.
Like every year, the difference between good and really good is turnovers and special teams play, so if we limit TOs and play good special teams play, we could easily be a 10 win team. If we dont, well, do the count down from 10...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News