ADVERTISEMENT

SR 71 -for you aviators

Jimmy McGill

HB Legend
Sep 9, 2018
Earth
Has there been a military plane that has ever flown as fast? It once made a trip from California to NY in less than 70 minutes.

Reactions: h-hawk
If I recall correctly, with it's average speed of Mach 3.2 up to 3.4, it could outfly missiles. Some were lost due to maintenance issues, but not a single one was ever shot down.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

I know we have some AF vets on here. I'd like to hear if they have any stories about the SR-71. I don't even know where they were stationed at. Missouri?

Reactions: Kozisek
If I recall correctly, with it's average speed of Mach 3.2 up to 3.4, it could outfly missiles. Some were lost due to maintenance issues, but not a single one was ever shot down.

Here's the thing. I don't believe there's ever been a confirmed top speed for them. The rumor is that the speeds you listed here are low.

If my memory is good, this thing flew so fast it's skin would expand it'd get so hot from how fast it was - so they had to design the plane to allow for that expansion. In fact a lot of the plane basically was "ill fitting" because to allow for thermal expansion - but once "heated up", things expanded and sealed/fit properly.

Here's the thing. I don't believe there's ever been a confirmed top speed for them. The rumor is that the speeds you listed here are low.

If my memory is good, this thing flew so fast it's skin would expand it'd get so hot from how fast it was - so they had to design the plane to allow for that expansion. In fact a lot of the plane basically was "ill fitting" because to allow for thermal expansion - but once "heated up", things expanded and sealed/fit properly.

Yeah, I'm not an expert. Far from it. Hence why I wanted other opinions. I can't imagine the G-force for the pilot.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if they got it up to mach 4

I don't believe I've seen one in flight but they train U2 pilots nearby and every now and again I hear one overhead. Distinctive sound.
Years ago a friend of mine filmed U2 and SR-71s landing and taking off when stationed at the base I think you're referring to. I recall him saying the pilots wore space suits because the elevation they flew was literally in space.

Yeah, I'm not an expert. Far from it. Hence why I wanted other opinions. I can't imagine the G-force for the pilot.

My father - one of his few good qualities was in my teens he was a member of a Military Book Club.

U. S. Fighters, Lloyd S. Jones, 1975. The YF-12A "fighter" version (there was also another version designated A-11) of the SR-71 is included, beginning on page 337. Some tidbits...

"At Mach 3, the YF-12A must make a turn of 180 miles to reverse direction."

"At Mach 3 speeds, the heat generated by the YF-12A can reach 1,100 degrees F. To reduce this high temperature, the planes are coated with 60 pounds of a special black paint which helps dissipate the heat. But despite this, parts of the airplane remain extremely hot for awhile after the plane has landed. This great heat also has an effect on the airframe itself. As heated metal expands, it can distort the precise aerodynamic shapes of a Mach 3 aircraft. An ingenious method of overcoming this was the use of corrugations in the wing surfaces. These ripples allowed the flexing of the metal skin without impairing the flight characteristics."

Crazy stuff given this first flew in late 1964.

My father - one of his few good qualities was in my teens he was a member of a Military Book Club.

U. S. Fighters, Lloyd S. Jones, 1975. The YF-12A "fighter" version (there was also another version designated A-11) of the SR-71 is included, beginning on page 337. Some tidbits...

"At Mach 3 speeds, the heat generated by the YF-12A can reach 1,100 degrees F. To reduce this high temperature, the planes are coated with 60 pounds of a special black paint which helps dissipate the heat. But despite this, parts of the airplane remain extremely hot for awhile after the plane has landed. This great heat also has an effect on the airframe itself. As heated metal expands, it can distort the precise aerodynamic shapes of a Mach 3 aircraft. An ingenious method of overcoming this was the use of corrugations in the wing surfaces. These ripples allowed the flexing of the metal skin without impairing the flight characteristics."

That had to be scary as shit to be the pilot. But those jocks loved that type of stuff.

Not sure if true, but to your point I heard the SR leaks fuel until it gets to cruising speed when the metal expands enough to keep it from leaking. Again, just something I heard. I have few questions about this though.

Not sure if true, but to your point I heard the SR leaks fuel until it gets to cruising speed when the metal expands enough to keep it from leaking. Again, just something I heard. I have few questions about this though.

Wikipedia states that actually. I'd have to believe the leaks are captured internally and cooled down somehow...dunno, I'm no engineer.

I'm no hero. Call me crazy, but flying something that gets to 1,100 degrees that also leaks jet fuel...no thanks.

Wikipedia states that actually. I'd have to believe the leaks are captured internally and cooled down somehow...dunno, I'm no engineer.

I'm no hero. Call me crazy, but flying something that gets to 1,100 degrees that also leaks jet fuel...no thanks.

No shit. Pass.

Nasa x-43a and the sr-72. Also the rocket Tom cruise flew in top gun, maverick

Yep, they got very active at the beginning of the war in Ukraine. Make sure enough pilots were trained up.

BTW, the landing gear on the wings falls off on takeoff and a chase car helps it land.

A few other Airmen and I rode on the wings of one while it taxied at Ramstein many years ago to help stabilize them. We road to the end of runway, then jumped off.

Pretty cool.

I think we have something that is faster than the SR-71. I think they didn't decommission it because it was expensive, but because they had something better. Supposedly it is called the Aurora, but obviously that could just be speculation. It's a good bet the Russians and Chinese know all about it too.

I know we have some AF vets on here. I'd like to hear if they have any stories about the SR-71. I don't even know where they were stationed at. Missouri?
I was stationed at Offutt AFB and in 1968 they had a big airshow. Lot of great stuff but the main event was an SR-71 flyover.

That bad boy came cruising low and slow from the west at about 1000-1200 feet and about halfway down the flight line they pulled the nose up and lit the afterburners. Goodbye. Greatest thing I've ever seen.

Has there been a military plane that has ever flown as fast? It once made a trip from California to NY in less than 70 minutes.
SR-72 Darkstar. Rumored to already be flying at Mach 6 or 7.

If you go into Google Earth, turn on 3D mode and go to the north hangar at Palmdale Regional Airport, Air Force Plant 42, zoom in and look under the hangar you can see it.

Here is the lat/long (34.6421337, -118.0838234)

I was stationed at Offutt AFB and in 1968 they had a big airshow. Lot of great stuff but the main event was an SR-71 flyover.

That bad boy came cruising low and slow from the west at about 1000-1200 feet and about halfway down the flight line they pulled the nose up and lit the afterburners. Goodbye. Greatest thing I've ever seen.
That was the farewell maneuver for the B-1 lancer the couple times I've seen it fly a demonstration. Pretty cool seeing something that big spool up and climb skyward so fast right in front of you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT