ADVERTISEMENT

SR 71 -for you aviators

SR-72 Darkstar. Rumored to already be flying at Mach 6 or 7.

If you go into Google Earth, turn on 3D mode and go to the north hangar at Palmdale Regional Airport, Air Force Plant 42, zoom in and look under the hangar you can see it.

Here is the lat/long (34.6421337, -118.0838234)
My favorite google earth target.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
Read up on Kelly Johnson. Dude was a genius and designed the u2 and sr71 BOTH.

Here's a fun sr71 fact. The sr71 needed a lot of titanium. Titanium is light and heat resistant though very difficult to machine. The country with the largest reserves of titanium is still Russia. For acquiring large amounts of titanium, the Cia set up front companies to acquire titanium from Russia. The very same Russian titanium went into the black bird, which overflew Russia many many times. Ahh, irony.

I know we have some AF vets on here. I'd like to hear if they have any stories about the SR-71. I don't even know where they were stationed at. Missouri?
I wasn't AF, but many years ago I did work at the Indianapolis air traffic control center high altitude sectors where we would get the occasional call from an SR-71 pilot requesting permission to descend into our air space. We controlled up to 60,000 feet so you knew they had been "somewhere up high" but we never knew their altitude as it was classified. They would enter our air space in order to hook up with a KC-135 aerial refueling tanker at usually around 25,000 feet give or take.

There was an aerial refueling wing at Grissom AFB about 50 miles north of Indy so they would come down and enter one of their designated refueling tracks, get fueled up, and then request clearance up to FL600 so they could then leave our air space and continue their assignment.

I wasn't AF, but many years ago I did work at the Indianapolis air traffic control center high altitude sectors where we would get the occasional call from an SR-71 pilot requesting permission to descend into our air space. We controlled up to 60,000 feet so you knew they had been "somewhere up high" but we never knew their altitude as it was classified. They would enter our air space in order to hook up with a KC-135 aerial refueling tanker at usually around 25,000 feet give or take.

There was an aerial refueling wing at Grissom AFB about 50 miles north of Indy so they would come down and enter one of their designated refueling tracks, get fueled up, and then request clearance up to FL600 so they could then leave our air space and continue their assignment.
The sr71 lost so much fuel pre and during takeoff due to the leaky skin and the cold temp of the fuel that it tanked right after take off. The skin made of mostly titanium tightened and stopped leaking at high speed due to the increased temperature which in effect sealed the aircraft.

Reactions: TheCainer
Sr71 and u2 pilots get astronaut wings. Both go north of the Von Karman line in terms of altitude. However, the foxbat has made it to 123K feet and the British electric lightning up to 88k feet.

Here's a fun sr71 fact. The sr71 needed a lot of titanium. Titanium is light and heat resistant though very difficult to machine. The country with the largest reserves of titanium is still Russia. For acquiring large amounts of titanium, the Cia set up front companies to acquire titanium from Russia. The very same Russian titanium went into the black bird, which overflew Russia many many times. Ahh, irony.
SR-71 never overflew Russia or China.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
On Oct. 6, 1986, an SR-71 was just outside the territorial waters of Russia’s Murmansk area coastline. This was not the first time an SR-71 had flown along the coast of the Soviet Union and it wouldn’t be the last. It was the Blackbird’s job to take side looking pictures.

‘For survival, Curt [RSO Lt Col Curt Osterheld] and I depended on accurate navigation to keep us just outside Soviet territorial waters to prevent a launch, and we depended on our superior speed and altitude in case missiles were launched.

Has there been a military plane that has ever flown as fast? It once made a trip from California to NY in less than 70 minutes.
First let me say I’m a big SR-71 aficionado and have visited several in static museums.

BUT…it wasn’t the fastest or highest even during its prime. It had a close cousin called the A-12 Archangel that was kept secret until the late 90s. Essentially the A-12 is a lighter, less rounded plane manned by the CIA that was slightly faster and could fly slightly higher than the SR-71. They look similar and at first glance you might think they were identical but a side by side comparison shows the differences.

A-12-vs-SR-71.jpg

hxddozsiyss61.jpg

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Holy shite. They still have those around?
Almost drove off the road while noticing one that is still used by NASA, sitting on the runway nearby at Patrick Space Force Base.

Also, saw this youtube video while looking for pics of the NASA version.

The World’s First U2 Spy Plane Photo Shoot at the Edge of Space​

Five years ago on a trip to DC we went to the Udvar-Hazy building out by Dulles. I got a picture of my then 7 year old son on a walkway elevated above the floor with an SR-71 behind him, then behind it is the space shuttle Discovery. He had no idea how cool that picture is.

Not too dissimilar to this shot, but with a bit better framing, plus my kid in it.
UdvaryHazyTitleShot.jpg

Almost drove off the road while noticing one that is still used by NASA, sitting on the runway nearby at Patrick Space Force Base.

NASA’s last SR-71 flight was 25 years ago.

The Armaments Museum at Eglin AFB / Ft Walton Beach has a static display you can walk under. Engines have been removed.

Has there been a military plane that has ever flown as fast? It once made a trip from California to NY in less than 70 minutes.
They have one hanging from the rafters at the Strategic Air Command Museum in Gretna NE.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT