ADVERTISEMENT

St Paul Pioneer Press article. Decision to review AND ENFORCE Invalid Fair Catch Signal NOT made by O’Dey, but came from the booth at Kinnick Stadium

The point is to prevent the defense from having to guess whether a fair catch is valid or not. It also is a penalty to hit a punt return that has called fair catch. It should be absolutely clear. If Cooper had known how it would be called invalid, the Cooper is super smart on the field and wouldn't have made any motion with the off hand.

The enforcement has been spotty for long, long time and that is why it seems unfair---one review with a jock itch about fair catch signaling decided to step in and decide a game on his own. A different reveiw official probably wouldn't have called it.
You’re trying to make it more confusing than it should be. If the returner waves his hand above the shoulders, it’s a fair catch. Anything else and he’s fair game. - so long as they give him an opportunity to catch the ball. Otherwise you play to the whistle as everyone is taught.

to me, having this second rule just adds to the confusion. There is already a rule that defines what a fair catch signal is. Any coaching staff worth their paychecks would make their players aware of the rule, as well as clarifying with officials on game day how they coach their players to signal so everyone’s clear on what’s going on. No one on the field - players, coaches or officials, thought cooper was signaling a fair catch. Only the guy looking down from 500 ft up in the air thought so.

if nothing else, the idea that he saw enough to overturn what wasn’t called on the field is absurd.

You’re trying to make it more confusing than it should be. If the returner waves his hand above the shoulders, it’s a fair catch. Anything else and he’s fair game. - so long as they give him an opportunity to catch the ball. Otherwise you play to the whistle as everyone is taught.

to me, having this second rule just adds to the confusion. There is already a rule that defines what a fair catch signal is. Any coaching staff worth their paychecks would make their players aware of the rule, as well as clarifying with officials on game day how they coach their players to signal so everyone’s clear on what’s going on. No one on the field - players, coaches or officials, thought cooper was signaling a fair catch. Only the guy looking down from 500 ft up in the air thought so.

if nothing else, the idea that he saw enough to overturn what wasn’t called on the field is absurd.
Exactly.

Indisputable evidence Cooper DeJean’s left hand was CLOSED and his index finger was POINTING. His arm was moving in a CIRCULAR motion.

He POINTS with both hands closed, both index fingers pointing at the landing area. TOTALLY LEGAL.

WATCH 1:03 - 1:07

FREEZE IT AT 1:07.

Last edited:
If CDJ did not score on that play ad was tackled or forced out of bounds at the 5 yard line would it have been reviewed? Was it reviewed because it was a scoring play?

Reactions: Franisdaman
If CDJ did not score on that play ad was tackled or forced out of bounds at the 5 yard line would it have been reviewed? Was it reviewed because it was a scoring play?
100% if he doesn't score it's not reviewed, all scoring plays are looked at quickly and then either let go or buzzed from the booth.

100% if he doesn't score it's not reviewed, all scoring plays are looked at quickly and then either let go or buzzed from the booth.
I believe in college all plays are subject to review. And not for a second do I think they review it had he not scored.

It was reviewed to see if he stepped out of bounds. All plays in CFB are reviewed, not just scoring plays and turnovers like in the NFL.

In CFB, the replay booth official can stop play and further review any reviewable play or any part of that play that is considered reviewable. I don’t see “invalid fair catch” listed as reviewable oddly enough. That is also why, in CFB, you may not hurry up to the LOS and do a quick snap before the play is fully reviewed. Kirk has spoke about learning this in the past couple of seasons.

In the NFL turnovers and scoring plays are reviewed by replay officials and they can stop plays for them. Also in OT and in the last two minutes of a half. All other reviews must come from using a coach’s challenge or red flag. In CFB, coaches have one coach’s challenge per game and MUST call a time out in order to use it. If you’re out of TO’s, then you can’t challenge the play.

Would it have been reviewed if he stepped out at the five is a good question. Had CDJ stepped out at the 25 and Iowa had no chance at scoring a TD to cover the -3.5, I doubt we would have seen a review.

Reactions: sober_teacher
It was reviewed to see if he stepped out of bounds. All plays in CFB are reviewed, not just scoring plays and turnovers like in the NFL.

In CFB, the replay booth official can stop play and further review any reviewable play or any part of that play that is considered reviewable. I don’t see “invalid fair catch” listed as reviewable oddly enough.

I think the B1G is saying that they were reviewing if a fair catch signal was made and in doing so, deemed that it was invalid. But, again, I am guessing. What's sad is that there were 2 reporters asking the B1G and NCAA rules officials questions to clear this all up but instead we are still left with questions.

It was reviewed to see if he stepped out of bounds. All plays in CFB are reviewed
Here’s the thing…if the review official had seen him step on the line and called the play back, nobody says boo. Nobody blames an on field official who had nothing to do with the call. Nobody tries to redefine a foot. Everybody would have said, “Damnit! He stepped on the line”. Can you imagine people saying “Nobody on the Minnesota team thought he stepped on the line! None of the Minny coaches complained! The on-field officials didn’t see it!! How could the review official call that back?!?!”

Except PF. 😉

Reactions: iahawks10
I think the B1G is saying that they were reviewing if a fair catch signal was made and in doing so, deemed that it was invalid. But, again, I am guessing. What's sad is that there were 2 reporters asking the B1G and NCAA rules officials questions to clear this all up but instead we are still left with questions.
I wonder how shielding ones eyes from the sun is not an invalid fair catch signal? McNutt was very animated. He is like the refs go over this stuff pregame with the returners regarding signals. He really thought it was BS and someone made some money off it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT