ADVERTISEMENT

Still don't think we make the NCAA Tournament?

I take it you aren't familiar with Iowa's history of NCAA snubs, including both 2013 and the season in the 90s where we were jumped by and Indiana team that had been beaten in double digits twice by Iowa and we had 2 more wins and 1 fewer loss.

The only thing that matters to the NCAA is television revenue.
It's not that hard to figure out.

Iowa has 22 wins and 10 losses. Their NET is in the low 40s and their SOS, while not ideal, is certainly much better than other teams ACTUALLY considered on "the bubble".

If losing to Nebraska didn't kill our chances, then losing to Michigan will do absolutely nothing as far as ending our chances of making the tournament.

All Iowa can do now is play for what seed they get.

Oregon has quietly rattled off 6 straight wins, if they win the pac 12 tournament that would certainly help Iowa. They are currently mid 50's in NET and 49th in KenPom and would give us another quad 1 win if they won the whole thing. We already jumped back up to 34th in KenPom after last night. Lunardi has us an 8 seed trending up, if we win tonight, I really do think we are a 7 as long as we don't get completely embarrassed in the semi-finals (IF WE WIN TONIGHT).

I said yesterday that beating Illinois locks us in. Now I hope the guys play loose and give Michigan a game.

Reactions: jasonrann
That was a dominating performance on a big stage, regardless of opponent. I'll predict a 7 seed.

I said yesterday that beating Illinois locks us in. Now I hope the guys play loose and give Michigan a game.
I agree. I felt the same way. Was worried a loss could drop them to a First Four game at best, but now there is zero doubt they will be in! It will be great not having to sweat it out on Sunday!

Probably not going to be higher than an 8 seed unless they win the tournament.
They beat Michigan on a neutral court....they'd get about as big a bump in the NET that you can get this time of year. Any loss from here on out we basically hold serve as they're all Quad 1....

I could see us moving up a seed line with a W tonight.

Anyone that thought were out of the tournament all together or would be in the play in game with a loss last night does not understand how poor the bubble really is this year. If we win tonight, I think we are up to the 7 line.

The bubble is bad, but on CBS sports they said they worry since the bubble is so weak, is this a year where maybe some of the mid majors get a look. I mean there are teams with below .500 conf records and overall records of 19-13 and what not. I wouldn’t be surprised if this years committee give a nod to the mid majors.

Their whole thinking this was because the committee always changes what their criteria is. How are they going to value quad 1 wins vs quad 3-4 losses. It’s pretty much a guessing game, I wouldn’t want to be one of the last 8 teams on the bubble come Sunday.

The bubble is bad, but on CBS sports they said they worry since the bubble is so weak, is this a year where maybe some of the mid majors get a look. I mean there are teams with below .500 conf records and overall records of 19-13 and what not. I wouldn’t be surprised if this years committee give a nod to the mid majors.

Their whole thinking this was because the committee always changes what their criteria is. How are they going to value quad 1 wins vs quad 3-4 losses. It’s pretty much a guessing game, I wouldn’t want to be one of the last 8 teams on the bubble come Sunday.
^^^This.^^^

There is no way anyone can predict what the committee will do. The reasons they give for some teams getting in/out one year are non-factors the next. They are not consistent. Bottom line is....they will put whoever they want in and put out any number of reasons to justify it.

I agree with you, but we weren’t below .500. Yes I know we ended poorly but we were 10-10 with 20+ wins overall and ONE bad loss. That’s it, yeah we lost some road games lopsided but when looking at the metrics 9 of our 10 losses were quad 1 lossss. We are 11-9 vs quad 1 and 2. I think that’s significantly better than other power 5 teams on the bubble (did not do extensive research).

I agree with you, but we weren’t below .500. Yes I know we ended poorly but we were 10-10 with 20+ wins overall and ONE bad loss. That’s it, yeah we lost some road games lopsided but when looking at the metrics 9 of our 10 losses were quad 1 lossss. We are 11-9 vs quad 1 and 2. I think that’s significantly better than other power 5 teams on the bubble (did not do extensive research).

I know we’re in, but I find it laughable that they are still talking Indiana, TCU, Alabama and etc..

People who say teams are safe, are really just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what is sticking. I agree with the poster above, the NCAA will spin the narrative to get whatever teams they want into the NCAA.

I agree. I felt the same way. Was worried a loss could drop them to a First Four game at best, but now there is zero doubt they will be in! It will be great not having to sweat it out on Sunday!

Both of these.

I think we're playing with house money now. Hopefully our boys have their swag back and come out loose.

Both of these.

I think we're playing with house money now. Hopefully our boys have their swag back and come out loose.
They’ve been playing with house money for a month. Spent about the last three weeks showing up to the table with UNO cards.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
They’ve been playing with house money for a month. Spent about the last three weeks showing up to the table with UNO cards.

giphy.gif

I don't follow the bubble crap closely, but we were likely in as a very low seed, even with a loss. UM is going to be a huge challenge, but we play better against teams that play within the rules, like Beilein teams.

Completely wrong. We were a lock before the win last night. Some people just can't be happy I guess.

I like to be happy. I'll be giddy when I see the word Iowa w/o "State" on a bracket line Sunday. I am old enough to remember 95, still the biggest snub in NCAA history-where we had more wins and fewer losses and swept Indiana yet got jumped in the Big Ten standings to take Indiana. Had wins over MSU and of course twice against Indiana (both blowouts). No pundits were even discussing the possibility of Iowa not making the tournament in the 94-95 season. First 20 win Big Ten team not invited since the field went to 64.

Big snubs in 98 and 2012, although nothing quite like the 95 season. 95 was an even harder season because we had at least three games stolen by the dishonest Big Ten officials. (At Sparty land, Minnesota and Purdue)

Something about chickens and counting comes to mind.

They're in. Just a matter of seed. Most likely 7-10, unless Iowa can play deep into the weekend.. Then maybe a 6? That's probably best case, IMO.

They're in. Just a matter of seed. Most likely 7-10, unless Iowa can play deep into the weekend.. Then maybe a 6? That's probably best case, IMO.

If we were to beat Michigan I think we slide into a solid 6. Looking at the other teams currently sitting in the 5 through 9 seed range still playing, there's a lot of mid-majorish teams in there and almost nobody other than Iowa and Iowa State will have the opportunities to add such high quality wins to their resume.

The announcers in the last game said they thought seven was a good number for the NCAA. Conveniently that would be:

1. MSU
2. UM
3. Purdue
4. Bucky
5. Turtles
6. Indiana
7. tOSU

Iowa, Minnesota and maybe the Bug Eaters in the NIT, where the likes of us belong.

If they take 8 Minnesota will jump us as well; easily justified by their big upset win today.

Last edited:
The announcers in the last game said they thought seven was a good number for the NCAA. Conveniently that would be:

1. MSU
2. UM
3. Purdue
4. Bucky
5. Turtles
6. Indiana
7. tOSU

Iowa, Minnesota and maybe the Bug Eaters in the NIT, where the likes of us belong.

If they take 8 Minnesota will jump us as well; easily justified by their big upset win today.

Just stop

1. MSU
2. UM
3. Purdue
4. Bucky
5. Turtles
6. Indiana
7. tOSU

Cmon, there is no way that Indiana gets in and Iowa doesn't...:confused:

He’s trying to wish it into existence.
Iowa and Minnesota are in. Indiana is out and Ohio State is holding their breath on Sunday.

1. MSU
2. UM
3. Purdue
4. Bucky
5. Turtles
6. Indiana
7. tOSU

You sure are stupid.

Iowa and Minnesota are in. Indiana is out and Ohio State is holding their breath on Sunday.

You sure are stupid.

I rarely enjoy being wrong but I am very very happy to be wrong today. My issue as to the commercial value was not entirely off point...we are playing a 7th seed in what is basically a home game; not something you often see.

Now, having happily eaten crow, let's remember we're basically exchanging basketball opinions-not fighting over something of personal import. I try not to personally insult other posters. Strongly encourage others to do the same; particularly when your vocabulary appears better suited to mono syllabic dog commands than intelligent argument.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I rarely enjoy being wrong but I am very very happy to be wrong today. My issue as to the commercial value was not entirely off point...we are playing a 7th seed in what is basically a home game; not something you often see.

Now, having happily eaten crow, let's remember we're basically exchanging basketball opinions-not fighting over something of personal import. I try not to personally insult other posters. Strongly encourage others to do the same; particularly when your vocabulary appears better suited to mono syllabic dog commands than intelligent argument.
I agree with the premise but there’s plenty of people who know how it all works and knew Iowa had 0% shot at NIT.. If nothing else could have saved yourself the heartburn..

It’d be like predicting it’s gonna be 80 degrees tomorrow in Minneapolis when every forecast says 40..

Now, having happily eaten crow, let's remember we're basically exchanging basketball opinions-not fighting over something of personal import. I try not to personally insult other posters. Strongly encourage others to do the same; particularly when your vocabulary appears better suited to mono syllabic dog coI mmands than intelligent argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT