ADVERTISEMENT

Store-bought pizza dough

See, if I put you on ignore, I wouldn't harvest this kind of information or have it provided for others.
I like to apply science to cooking, pizza included. I'm also total ocd and anal retentive so I'll repeat things ad nauseaum until they are perfected. Pizza is an art. I found an Italian pizzaolo and he has guided me through my trash efforts.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I like to apply science to cooking, pizza included. I'm also total ocd and anal retentive so I'll repeat things ad nauseaum until they are perfected. Pizza is an art. I found an Italian pizzaolo and he has guided me through my trash efforts.
You would be good with real estate law. Me, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I buy my dough from The Nugget - a local high end chain.
Could I do better? Maybe. Could I decide I want pizza in the am and have it for dinner that night? No.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Doing too notch pizza is really really tough. I'm to the point of really good testing dough, sauce and cheese. Mostly NY style. But getting an ideal crust is still really tough

I buy my dough from The Nugget - a local high end chain.
Could I do better? Maybe. Could I decide I want pizza in the am and have it for dinner that night? No.
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Doing too notch pizza is really really tough. I'm to the point of really good testing dough, sauce and cheese. Mostly NY style. But getting an ideal crust is still really tough
What type of style(s) are you trying to master?

Most of my time has been on NY style. I have a grill top pizza oven.

I've also done some work with Chi style. But need to get back to it. I did knock out a crust that was very similar in taste to Zoey's in Marion
Nice. You can do the Giordano's route, which I love and others call a casserole or go Lou Malnatis minus the extra dough on the top.

Nice. You can do the Giordano's route, which I love and others call a casserole or go Lou Malnatis minus the extra dough on the top.
Yeah I go for cheese plus any toppings plus sauce on top.

IMO my San marzano based red sauce plus whole milk mozzarella is hard to beat. I haven't had red sauce better than mine

Working with the dough to get thickness desired as well as ideal cooking pan and heat source is where I really need to figure stuff out

I made this over the weekend and the crust was a solid 9/10. Sausage needs more fennel and hot pepper flakes to my way of thinking.

I made this recipe a couple weeks ago as well and it’s going to be my go to, with a few minor tweaks. Brian docked the dough immediately after rolling it out. I prefer to dock it after it has cured, otherwise the holes just fill back in as the dough ferments. Also, stacking the dough during the curing process prevents the bottom one from properly drying out so that you get the crisp, crackery crust.

My plan is to let the dough ball ferment in the fridge for about 4 days, then roll it out and cure it overnight, and then finally dock it just before adding the sauce and toppings.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I made this recipe a couple weeks ago as well and it’s going to be my go to, with a few minor tweaks. Brian docked the dough immediately after rolling it out. I prefer to dock it after it has cured, otherwise the holes just fill back in as the dough ferments. Also, stacking the dough during the curing process prevents the bottom one from properly drying out so that you get the crisp, crackery crust.

My plan is to let the dough ball ferment in the fridge for about 4 days, then roll it out and cure it overnight, and then finally dock it just before adding the sauce and toppings.
4 days?

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Reactions: TJ8869

I agree on both the docking and stacking. Noticed the same thing. I let mine go 36 hours and thought the crust was almost perfect.

Thought the sauce was meh and the sausage about a 7.

Fix those two and I think you have a really good pizza at home

Bought an 1/2 inch pizza steel and blazed that thing at 550 for an hour before cooking. Heavy as shit.

Really like this style.

Reactions: TJ8869
Yeah I go for cheese plus any toppings plus sauce on top.

IMO my San marzano based red sauce plus whole milk mozzarella is hard to beat. I haven't had red sauce better than mine

Working with the dough to get thickness desired as well as ideal cooking pan and heat source is where I really need to figure stuff out
If you're making Chicago style, lloyd pans are hard to beat for ruggedness and heat transfer. Same for detroit style pizzas. If you're having issues with Chicago style dough, check out this video. They look like dweebs but they are mostly spot on.

We get our dough from Publix. They make it fresh in the Deli section and is always good. It was $3.70 the last time I bought it and will make a large pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT