ADVERTISEMENT

Storm Lake Boating

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
When I was up there a few years back, they were doing a major dredging project which made the lake kind of hard to get around. Can you rent a ski boat in Storm Lake? I know its not W Lake Okoboji, but it seems it should be big enough for tubing.

I was thinking of taking the kids to the Water Park there and maybe a boat rental one day.

The lake is much deeper now after the dredging and I've seen people water ski out there two years ago when I visited family. The area is a lot nicer than it was 20 years ago when that town was just a putrid dump. Still not a place I'd go out of my way to visit.

The water park at King's Pointe isn't much besides three slides, an outdoor pool and a small indoor kids area. If you do visit I would recommend hitting up La Juanita's voted one of the countries top 30 burrito joints in the country.

I was just in Sioux City this last weekend and took the gf to some eating spots...

La Juanitas - she loved it
Jim's Burgers - she liked it
Sunkist Bakery - she loved it
El Fredo's Pizza - she loved it

Next time we're back I will take her to...

Tastee's Inn & Out
Jerry's Pizza
Ribos

I was just in Sioux City this last weekend and took the gf to some eating spots...

La Juanitas - she loved it
Jim's Burgers - she liked it
Sunkist Bakery - she loved it
El Fredo's Pizza - she loved it

Tastee's Inn & Out
Jerry's Pizza
Ribos

I'll have a burrito extra hot sauce... Don't forget the carrots

La Jau's so good.

The lake is much clearer now and is generally pretty pleasant to be on. It lacks size and destination (restaurants/casual bars). Tubing & skiing are great just about anywhere the side the wind isn't blowing.

I have done the Okoboji thing a few times. I'm just looking for other places in state. I know that NW Iowa is where all the natural lakes are. Are there any good ones that are even less known?

I have done the Okoboji thing a few times. I'm just looking for other places in state. I know that NW Iowa is where all the natural lakes are. Are there any good ones that are even less known?

There isn't much outside of the 'known' lakes - but how far you looking to drive?

There is a little lake just across the border in MN (Round Lake) this is nothing but a little bowl shaped lake in the middle of corn fields but it does get a fair amount of boat traffic. Nice little lake.

Lost Island just north of Ruthven isn't too bad either. BlackHawk down my Lake View is also pretty good

I doubt, however that you can rent a boat any of these smaller locations - so I probably just wasted a couple minutes of your time and mine! :)

Big Spirit, Okoboji, and to a lesser extent Storm Lake are still the biggest and best though and may give you the only opportunity to rent right on the lake

Tastee's Inn & Out
Jerry's Pizza
Ribos

I bet you've taken her there already a few times....

When I was up there a few years back, they were doing a major dredging project which made the lake kind of hard to get around. Can you rent a ski boat in Storm Lake? I know its not W Lake Okoboji, but it seems it should be big enough for tubing.

I was thinking of taking the kids to the Water Park there and maybe a boat rental one day.
http://honeycreekresort.com/

You can do all of the same things here, they do have some spring and summer specials.

The dredging is ongoing and will be running in the north east/central part of the lake this summer, I believe, but that could change. It's not hard to get around the equipment or anything like it used to be. A new bar just opened up at the marina on the west side in the last week or two and there is a dock you can park at and walk over to King's Pointe and Puff's. You can also rent boats through King's Pointe and the lake is plenty big for tubing and skiing. Try to stick along the southern part of the lake where it's usually most calm. By dad and his buddies said the walleyes continue to be strong if you are interested in that.

As for the waterpark, it's nothing huge, but there is an outdoor and indoor park so that helps in case the weather get lousy and kids are going to love it no matter what.

As others mentioned, you need to eat at La Jua's downtown on Lake Avenue -- I love the burritos and the beef tortas. There is also a good Thai place called Little Vietnen and another Mexican joint called Plaza Mexico that has shockingly fast service and good food. The Boat House is hit and miss, but I've had some very good meals there and it's a dive. I also eat at Boz Wellz near downtown usually when I'm back in SL.

Storm Lake gets a bad rep for a variety of reasons, but the city and the lake have improved greatly in the last decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT