ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Work: Freeman's Jumper, Added Weight & Plans to Work with Luka Garza

Got a ton from yesterday's media availability with Owen Freeman.

Three things he's had going on this offseason: Expanding his range for his jump shot, putting on weight (20 pounds) and plans to workout with Frank and Luka Garza.

STORY: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/summer-work-freeman-s-jumper-added-weight-plans-to-work-with-luka-garza
I'm one of Freeman greatest fans, but in yesterdays practice video, I saw nothing that indicated that his work on his outside shooting has taken a step in the right direction. If it does by the start of the season, fine, but if not, his other attributes far outweigh anything that can come from being a better outside shooter. He is not going to be needed to be a Payton or Dix for Iowa to be successful, just be himself and finish around and rim and rebound, that is all that is asked of him.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I'm one of Freeman greatest fans, but in yesterdays practice video, I saw nothing that indicated that his work on his outside shooting has taken a step in the right direction. If it does by the start of the season, fine, but if not, his other attributes far outweigh anything that can come from being a better outside shooter. He is not going to be needed to be a Payton or Dix for Iowa to be successful, just be himself and finish around and rim and rebound, that is all that is asked of him.
He probably has dreams of going a little further than just cleaning up on missed shots while wearing a Hawkeyes uniform, so he's doing the right things to help move towards his goals. To make the league, he's going to need a consistent outside shot.

He probably has dreams of going a little further than just cleaning up on missed shots while wearing a Hawkeyes uniform, so he's doing the right things to help move towards his goals. To make the league, he's going to need a consistent outside shot.
Exactly! He had a great freshman season. His added weight & strength will help on the defensive side. But if he wants to play in the NBA, he'll need to be able to hit the occasional three to draw bigs away from the lane.

That doesn't make sense. It's not an either or scenario.

His other attributes can only be enhanced by an outside shot.

He doesn't need an outside shot to be effective, obviously, but it would be a huge benefit, specifically making the opponent's big man guard him away from the basket.

Garza didn't "need" an outside shot either.

Reactions: LukaDuka
That doesn't make sense. It's not an either or scenario.

His other attributes can only be enhanced by an outside shot.

He doesn't need an outside shot to be effective, obviously, but it would be a huge benefit, specifically making the opponent's big man guard him away from the basket.

Garza didn't "need" an outside shot either.
I'm just saying, I've seen Owen in video's and almost every game he played for Moline, and his 1st year at Iowa. That's 6 years of watching Owen play, maybe it's a confidence issue, but he vary rarely shot beyond the rim. I seen video's of him working hard at making himself a better player in practices on shooting beyond the semi circle around the hoop, but so far the light bulb hasn't turned on yet.
I sincerely hope that Luka and his father can give him the confidence to make shots when the opportunity presents itself, that would be a welcome addition, but as his sophomore season begins, it's not the end of the world if he still struggles to make shots beyond the hoop.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT