ADVERTISEMENT

Sumner woman accused of leaving two kids in ‘unlivable’ home

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

A Sumner woman was arrested May 9 and charged with two counts of child endangerment after Fayette County Sheriff’s Office deputies found her two children abandoned in “an unlivable home,” according to a sheriff’s office news release.

Jessica Lynn Mikesh, 36, is accused of leaving her children “to fend for themselves” in a home in Hawkeye, according to the release. Mikesh’s address on a criminal complaint is listed in Sumner, despite the home where she left her kids being listed in Hawkeye.

The sheriff’s office was asked to perform a welfare check at the home of a 7-year-old boy who had not been to school in a couple of weeks, according to a criminal complaint.

Advertisement
When deputies arrived, the boy answered the door and told deputies his mother had left and he didn’t know where she’d gone. When asked if there was an adult present, he told officers a man named Brian Brainard was there.

Brainard had an outstanding warrant and was transported to the Fayette County Jail after talking with deputies.

Brian Brainard (Fayette County Sheriff’s Office) Brian Brainard (Fayette County Sheriff’s Office)
Officers noticed a smell coming from the bathroom and discovered the plumbing was backed up and sewage water filling the toilet and bathtub. The boy and a young girl, whose age was not listed in the complaint, told deputies the bathroom had not worked for three months. The girl also told deputies that Mikesh left often and the kids didn’t know where she goes.

Mikesh came home while deputies were at the house. When asked about the kids missing school, she said it’s hard to get the kids ready for school and onto the bus, according to the complaint.

The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services was called in, and the children were removed to a safe location, according to the release.

I told this story a couple years ago on HORT. Two summers ago, my wife took the dogs for a walk and ran into two very unkept looking kids at the park. Best guess was age 8 and 4. Could have been slightly older, but not much. It was a hot, 90+ degree day. She asked them if they were ok as she had seen them there before on other days. They said yes, that their parents were at work. She asked who watches them. No one. Their parents make them go to the park until they get home. How long? 7am - 5pm. They were not allowed to go back to the house.

There are some really horrible parents out there that have no business having kids.

I have been in some houses in my time.....where the pee smell knocks you to your knees right when you go in the doorway....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT